Motorhome Life

what happened to him, i miss his posts
He went dark right around the election. SO I am guessing he has completed the shelter, stocked his freezer and pantry and is in a place where he can keep his powder dry and is just waiting on the notice to proceed.

For future reference, too late now I guess, a compression test can be done without even getting yer hands dirty. Its simple really, any competent TECH should know how. With an oscilloscope. 1 channel goes to a non contact amp probe, clamped around the starter wire, 1 channel to a crank sensor, or injector wire, if electronic. The amp clamp measures the amp draw in milliseconds, while the crank sensor measures witch cylinder is on its compression stroke. Takes 10 seconds of cranking, then look at the graph, line up the injection pulses, or crank signal with the corresponding cylinder, and look at the amp draw of each cylinder stroke. It won't give you a specific psi, but it will tell you if they are all the same or not. If one is low, you will know witch one by the crank pulse, or injector pulse. Easy peasy. Done it many times. That way it takes 15 minutes, your hands don't even get dirty, and you can tell the customer if they should proceed or not.....

I was a TECH at one point...... I have many tricks up my sleeve 

what happened to him, i miss his posts
I had heard he got an offer to work for a company that was to good to refuse so he sold his shop. I remember some years back before he sold, he had on hand ready to go long block 3126/C7 Cats. 

3126/C7 Cats. 

I was told they're disposable motors. That made me feel special. And they're SMALL little motors. I thought I had a diesel pusher. Apparently not. I'm wanting the 605hp Cummins in my next coach. Peace

I was told they're disposable motors. That made me feel special. And they're SMALL little motors. I thought I had a diesel pusher. Apparently not. I'm wanting the 605hp Cummins in my next coach. Peace
They just don't have sleeved cylinders, they can be rebuilt. If you have room under your rv step up to a C9 and bigger trans. If you really want to step it up the C32 is a beast but you probably will lose the rear bedroom. :lol:

A long, long time ago my buddy did a 3116/3126, out of a wagon drill, at his machine shop. Bored and sleeved back to standard, IIRC. We did not R&R the engine. Given the cost of labor, etc., I think the long block advice may be on target.

Last edited by a moderator:
They just don't have sleeved cylinders, they can be rebuilt. If you have room under your rv step up to a C9 and bigger trans. If you really want to step it up the C32 is a beast but you probably will lose the rear bedroom. :lol:
This. Problem with them not being sleeved is they can not do an in frame. They have to remove the block and get it line bored. Being in a motorhome is an added obstacle. 

Can they have it done by Monday?  Look on the bright side you saved $6,000 from your last time. 

Can they have it done by Monday?  Look on the bright side you saved $6,000 from your last time. 
The "LAST TIME" was 3 years a go! Just don't seem right! Peace

That is crazy and what's to say it doesn't make it past 3 years. Kinda makes you want to puke.

So that is how diesel pushers make it to RV salvage yards. 

All that labor is a big reason I am leaning Super C if we go to a moho.  DPs are a ballbuster to tow and service.

We are looking at new(er) motorohomes and debating on going gasser or diesel. Looking at that repair bill is making the gasser look better and better. 

The "LAST TIME" was 3 years a go! Just don't seem right! Peace
What does your paperwork from the last time say?  Do they give you mileage or time for warranty ? Or no warranty at all? 

Back