Motorhome Life

Your doing the best you can in this given situation. Also from my experience you will never convince a repair person/tech that you just might no what's going on. They will stick to there chosen path to the end and never admit even if the end is what you claimed to start with. Hope they get you repaired and on the road soon. 
This annoys me so much.  Took my Moho in and they treated me like I have never even driven the moho before.  I hate service writers and techs that think they know everything...........In most cases, I don't have the tools or interest in doing the job.

I can sense the tech when I ask him specific questions that he's not very comfortable answering my questions. Not trying to question his decisions or trying to doubt his credibility. BUT.....He don't know y'all are behind my questioning. And da chEFF appreciates Y'ALLS Help. Let's see what he has to say tomorrow. Peace   

Hell ask to talk to his supervisor and get some answers.  He has to be reporting or at least filling in his daily work sheets. 

Loss of compression will raise crankcase pressure if it's rings. If it's a cylinder that's low on compression, you will see smoke but it will have a pulse to it. That one cylinder will not fire and blow a puff. If it's not obvious then the tech can loosen the exhaust manifold from the cylinder head, start the engine and determine which one is causing the smoke.  If it's coolant then that could also be seen by laying over the exhaust manifold a bit then starting the engine.

Any moisture under the oil cap and or valve cover will be a problem. Especially as you've just come off the fwy and any water in the oil from sitting would have been cooked off already.

The tech can do a cylinder cut out test with the Caterpillar ET software as well. 

So many different directions to go prior to pulling the cylinder head.

I'd ask for the supervisor and get these answers before approving the head removal.

And with Johnny. Romans9, he's gone underground on me. Tried calling and left a few messages with no reply.  Not uncommon for him to drop off the radar then come back blazing and then gone again. 

And with Johnny. Romans9, he's gone underground on me. Tried calling and left a few messages with no reply.  Not uncommon for him to drop off the radar then come back blazing and then gone again. 
I figured if anyone would be able to get ahold of him it would be you.  Hopefully he’s living his best life. I really wanted to see how his sons truck came out.  

I'd ask for the supervisor and get these answers before approving the head removal.

Too late. I gave him approval to pull the Head. The person who wrote up my work order was Joe. He's the supervisor and I wasn't impressed with his ability to take Info down. Scary to think my MOHO sitting in Albuquerque NM is being fondled my nimrods. 

you will never convince a repair person/tech that you just might no what's going on.

I can sense that in our conversations too. Peace

It’s easy to check if or which cylinder isn’t firing you just check the temperature of the exhaust manifold at the head. Working/firing cylinders will be hotter than dead cylinders. Swapping the dead cylinder Injector with another cylinder would tell you if it’s the injector or the cylinder. At some point the head does have to come off but doing a cylinder leak down test before pulling the head would tell you if it’s losing compression from the valves or past the rings. 

I'm afraid this "tech" ranks right down there with most of the Chevy techs I've encountered. 

One headlight on my new truck was pointing at the moon. The "tech" cranked the elevation screw and it came down maybe 20*. Still pointing at the sky, he said that was the best he could do. I turned off the headlights, popped off the rubber boot, checked the bulb and it wasn't seated in the mount. I turned the bulb, it popped into the mount and I put the clip and rubber boot back on. I turned on the headlight which was now pointing at his shoes and asked him to align it properly.

Pretty sad what passes for a "tech" for the last 15 yrs or so. I would hate to see him try and diagnose a real problem.

Sounds like its time for a new rig.  Either way, gotta fix this one.... might be the best time to fix and sell it, given used RV values. 

I'm afraid this "tech" ranks right down there with most of the Chevy techs I've encountered. 

One headlight on my new truck was pointing at the moon. The "tech" cranked the elevation screw and it came down maybe 20*. Still pointing at the sky, he said that was the best he could do. I turned off the headlights, popped off the rubber boot, checked the bulb and it wasn't seated in the mount. I turned the bulb, it popped into the mount and I put the clip and rubber boot back on. I turned on the headlight which was now pointing at his shoes and asked him to align it properly.

Pretty sad what passes for a "tech" for the last 15 yrs or so. I would hate to see him try and diagnose a real problem.
I'm just curious, if it was so easy and quick for you to fix, why did you have a tech take a crack at it? Seems like it was an easy enough fix that you could've just handled and avoided the wasted time?

Last Motorhome I saw in the ABQ......

200.gif

I'm just curious, if it was so easy and quick for you to fix, why did you have a tech take a crack at it? Seems like it was an easy enough fix that you could've just handled and avoided the wasted time?
It was brand new, I hadn't left the dealership yet. I also didn't want to drive home in the dark with one headlight pointing at the moon. Believe me, after that, I did everything except engine swaps myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like its time for a new rig.  Either way, gotta fix this one.... might be the best time to fix and sell it, given used RV values. 

I've thought heavily in this direction too. YES, it has to be fixed no matter what. Only one problem, the one I want is extremely expensive. And Da chEFF isn't a RV Park / Pavement parking kind of guy. Sand / MX Tracks. Dry Camping is my thing. I have parked on pavement once. RIDERED let me park in his driveway once. Peace

Fix It / Keep It.....That coach is AWESOME!!!!! if you do decide to be crazy and dump it / call me first!!!! 

That thing is EXACTLY what is needed for what we do!!! It is Dialed in and Better Quality than the new ones!

My 2cents!

:poule:

Fix It / Keep It.....That coach is AWESOME!!!!! if you do decide to be crazy and dump it / call me first!!!! 

That thing is EXACTLY what is needed for what we do!!! It is Dialed in and Better Quality than the new ones!

My 2cents!

:poule:
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I feel you would be way ahead keeping what you now have. Also, watch the video in the Lippert thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to call the mechanic for an update. He says they still haven't been able to pull the head. A work in progress he says. Peace

Back