Motorhome Life

You have to go more than a few years back to get a Newell close to $1M.  A brand new KA is around $1M.  A brand new Newell is $2-3M.  Newell had some display models at our RV park for a few weeks.  We walked them... wow, just wow.  I think I still have pics somewhere... 
Hey, even $3M is still seven figures 😉

Building a house is said to be one of the most stressful undertakings for a person or couple. I don't know if I would want to add to it with a new expensive motorhome that is certain to have issues. So how is your blood pressure and how much do you want to take on?  :lol:
This is a very good point.  I've had a couple new RVs (and one new 5'er) somewhat across the spectrum.  They all, I repeat: ALL had issues and it takes about a year to get 'em right.  I don't care if it's a base-base-base-model entry Class C or a $3M Newell, it WILL have problems right off the bat.  There are a lot of Newells in the park we own in, and we often see the Newell repair rigs in the park (they have their own support network with branded vans).  Speaking to a few of the owners, it's no different than anything I've experienced.  

That said... IF @Crusty decides to go with a "new" RV I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend buying a ~1-2 year old one that's had the problems worked out.  We bought our MA about a year old with ~7,600 miles on it.  And most of those miles were the original owner going back to Indiana the first year to have his list of new coach problems fixed at Newmar.  Even still, we've had to fix a few things.

I think RVs are such horrible ‘investments,’ but you are a rare breed of RV owner cause you actually USE it.

My wife and I talk about roaming the country in our cheap lil 5th wheel. .. we’ll see. 

I love camping in it, I just am not a fan of being behind the wheel.

I think most of us have to treat our second homes (RVs and THs) as ‘toilet money’ spends so for me it’s about what $ I’m willing to throw away.

Hope it’s a small $ fix. 

Good 🍀 luck!

Sincerely,

abc
You're not wrong about the use thing.  Most ppl don't use 'em enough, then they're just a huge cost doing nothing for you.  They're a huge cost either way (not an investment, lol) but if you're using it a ton, it's worth it.  For years my wife spent all winter in ours, either in/around Glamis or at the RV park we own a spot at in Indio.  That way I could fly in from the Bay Area for work and still hit G a lot.  Now that we bought in Vegas we're going to sell the RV spot, and she won't "have" to live in the RV... so I'm definitely conscious of the reduced ROI...

I think another factory (and sorry for hijacking your thread) is camp site fees. Now I don't have a lot of experience with this. I know Mammoth 8 years ago right on the lake (no hook-ups) was awesome.. I think $79 for the week, but I've also seen 'nice' full hook-up places that are the same as a damn hotel.

Richard H, you seem to be like chEFF, someone who gets their use out of it, probably less than 1% of folks who own RVs/THs.

After last season blowing the motor in each of my 2 SXSs (1 week apart), I was trying to 'calculate' seat time in the toys vs. how much time I spend getting everything dialed in, working, cleaned, the travel (tow) driving which I don't like, etc. The ratio is probably something like 25-50 ,.. maybe 100 hours to each our of seat time. .. but again, where can you drive something like a crazy person, grinning ear to ear in such a beautiful place. I can't see ever bailing... 

OK, Hi-Jack over... back to work.. ugh..

abc
You just don't ever want to do the math on amortized costs or time to do the chit we do.  If you do, it'll always look terrible... 

-TJ

You just don't ever want to do the math on amortized costs or time to do the chit we do.  If you do, it'll always look terrible... 

-TJ

You're so right! The First trip I took to Glamis with my "NEW TO ME" Motorhome I was so fired up. Decided to document all the MPG's on the trip. By the time I got to Glamis I was so bummed. Never again! "What's that Rig get MPG?" My Reply: Everyone of them. And my good friend who helped me shop for the Coach said.......If you ask whats the MPG on this rig, you can't afford it. Needless to say I did not ask. Peace

IMG_7879.JPG

You don't measure in miles per gallon, you go by smiles per mile. 

:lol:

Could be an o-ring on an injector or a cup seal or just one stuck open. Hopefully the hole is still ok. Diagnose then decide 👍 We just spent the weekend at a nice campground in Borrego Springs for a bike race. I could not believe how many new RVs there were out there. The prices and wait times they shared were insane as well... 

The mechanic called yesterday with news. He put in a new Injector and it's still mis-firing. He said the valves are ok. Says he needs to pull the head to see if the ring is damaged. Happens with all these high mileage motors. I explained to him that's a new motor with only 25k miles on it. So My question was: What do you need from me? He said "Do you want me to proceed it'll take me 2-3 days to remove the head, or button it back up and you can drive it home" My question was, Won't I blow the motor? He said, You shouldn't. It's just a misfire. I talked with Lonnie who put the motor in and he said to have them do a compression test. The mechanic says he can't do that. I explained to him how he can (Thanks Lonnie). The mechanic is going to check with his specialty dept if they have that device to do it. So.....Looks like I'm going to have a fight on my hands with CORP CAT?

I know, I know............. "Your Warranty expired after one year" I get it. BUT.....................Really?? Your engine can't handle 25,000 miles over a 3 year period. And I'm sure the dealer in Albuquerque don't want that thing sitting in his parking lot very long. Neither do I. Hope it works out for the best. Not a fan spending another $10k on this motor. 

Peace

Damn that sucks. Seriously how does a dealer not be able to do a compression check? Another reason to NOT call them “techs”.  More of a parts changers. 

The mechanic called yesterday with news. He put in a new Injector and it's still mis-firing. He said the valves are ok. Says he needs to pull the head to see if the ring is damaged. Happens with all these high mileage motors. I explained to him that's a new motor with only 25k miles on it. So My question was: What do you need from me? He said "Do you want me to proceed it'll take me 2-3 days to remove the head, or button it back up and you can drive it home" My question was, Won't I blow the motor? He said, You shouldn't. It's just a misfire. I talked with Lonnie who put the motor in and he said to have them do a compression test. The mechanic says he can't do that. I explained to him how he can (Thanks Lonnie). The mechanic is going to check with his specialty dept if they have that device to do it. So.....Looks like I'm going to have a fight on my hands with CORP CAT?

I know, I know............. "Your Warranty expired after one year" I get it. BUT.....................Really?? Your engine can't handle 25,000 miles over a 3 year period. And I'm sure the dealer in Albuquerque don't want that thing sitting in his parking lot very long. Neither do I. Hope it works out for the best. Not a fan spending another $10k on this motor. 

Peace
This sucks....such a bad situation.  So sorry for you ChEFF!!!

You said it was white smoke right, not white blueish stinky smoke?

You said it was white smoke right, not white blueish stinky smoke?

It was white. Not an oil smell. If anything a semi sweet smell. Which had me (Robert L) thinking Head Gasket. Peace

It was white. Not an oil smell. If anything a semi sweet smell. Which had me (Robert L) thinking Head Gasket. Peace
That is what I thought, surprised they went the injector route.

Just talked to the Tech. He said they can't do the Compression test. Everything checks out fine so far. He needs to pull the head and see why the cylinder isn't firing completely. I asked him what the white smoke was he said most likely fuel. The cylinder isn't getting enough compression to burn all the fuel. I asked him about the Head Gasket and he said if it was a Head gasket then the other cylinders would spill over. Something like that. I'm not too smart with this but I gave him the approval to pull the head. He thinks the ring/rings are damaged. I'm half way across the pond with one Orr. Spinning in circles. As the Cash Register Turns. Peace 

Just talked to the Tech. He said they can't do the Compression test. Everything checks out fine so far. He needs to pull the head and see why the cylinder isn't firing completely. I asked him what the white smoke was he said most likely fuel. The cylinder isn't getting enough compression to burn all the fuel. I asked him about the Head Gasket and he said if it was a Head gasket then the other cylinders would spill over. Something like that. I'm not too smart with this but I gave him the approval to pull the head. He thinks the ring/rings are damaged. I'm half way across the pond with one Orr. Spinning in circles. As the Cash Register Turns. Peace 
If it was white smoke from unvaporized/unburned fuel, it would burn your eyes and smell really bad, stinging your nose. If it doesn't burn your eyes or sting your nose, but instead has a kind of sweet smell to it, that sounds more like a coolant leak into a cylinder.

On a Duramax, there is coolant surrounding the injector cup, so if it comes loose (somehow), it can leak into the cylinder on the intake stroke but it should pressurize the coolant system on a power stroke, so you should see excessive pressure in the coolant system and detect exhaust gasses in the coolant with a chemical. A bad spot in a head gasket is a more common, universal source of engine coolant.

I don't know anything about CAT engines specifically, but the exhaust gasses in coolant test is universal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The other issue he had was condensation was on the inside of the oil cap.  That’s when I thought head gasket.  He also said the smoke lingered in the air out of the engine breather. Start it up in the morning smoke was coming out of the exhaust then that would quit when it warmed up.  But it was a sweet ish smell. Seriously what dealership can’t do a compression test. 

@ChEFF contact @Grease Monkey maybe he still has @Romans9 number and talk to him.  

Your doing the best you can in this given situation. Also from my experience you will never convince a repair person/tech that you just might no what's going on. They will stick to there chosen path to the end and never admit even if the end is what you claimed to start with. Hope they get you repaired and on the road soon. 

Back