Motorhome Life

What does your paperwork from the last time say?  Do they give you mileage or time for warranty ? Or no warranty at all? 

12 mos unlimited mileage. Peace

• Sad
Reactions: MWB
12 mos unlimited mileage. Peace
Ouch, that sucks worse than a proctologist with thick fingers and calluses.

I would pay the $700 for work up to this point and have it towed home.  Find a guy in your area who might have smaller fingers and has lube available.  

Certainly doesn't help your unfortunate situation but the CAT 3116 and it's replacement, your 3126, do not have good reputations. In the marine side, those engines are pretty much avoided like the plague. 

What was the actual diagnosed failure? I don't see that in your report from them. 

Find a guy in your area who might have smaller fingers and has lube available.  

It's not what you know it's WHO you know. Just had lunch with a friend / customer that has been in the Truck Sales/Service business forever. He was one of my first customers 31 years a go. Works for International Trucks. He's got a mechanic that used to work for him that only charges $100.00hr. Has a place that will sleeve the cylinder for $200.00. Now, trying to find a low boy trucking company to get it back home. I'm a fan of LUBE. This rig is worth more running than not. Peace  

What was the actual diagnosed failure? I don't see that in your report from them. 

They wouldn't say. In the email the guy who's quoting the repair gave me an 800 number to call with my complaint. Thats not happening. I'm getting the head honcho's name and number from Mike. He knows everybody. EFF CAT! Peace

They wouldn't say. In the email the guy who's quoting the repair gave me an 800 number to call with my complaint. Thats not happening. I'm getting the head honcho's name and number from Mike. He knows everybody. EFF CAT! Peace
That's some first class BS right there! Never heard of such a thing.

"Hey, we won't tell you what went wrong but just us $25k and we'll make it all better". Eff them!

I would spend the money to tow it out of there just based on that alone. Even if someone else charges you $25k I would add the tow cost just to keep the job from going to these A-holes. 

You have to ask yourself, if they are this much trouble now, what will it be like when you have a problem after they do the work? 

That's some first class BS right there! Never heard of such a thing.

"Hey, we won't tell you what went wrong but just us $25k and we'll make it all better". Eff them!

I would spend the money to tow it out of there just based on that alone. Even if someone else charges you $25k I would add the tow cost just to keep the job from going to these A-holes. 

You have to ask yourself, if they are this much trouble now, what will it be like when you have a problem after they do the work? 

I can't agree more. EFF THEM. Peace

Damn, as a mechanic, this has been tough to follow. Grated, what I work on is MUCH smaller but c'mon, wtf is going on over there? I've been out of the dealer scene for 10 years, have things changed this much? Reading @Rockwood thread on his Mustang too. NONE of this would fly at the places I worked at.

Given that quote, I'd be wondering if a swap to a C9 or even an 8.3/8.9 Cummins would be money better spent? Looks like you've got an option now at least. The tow bill will be money well spent to GTF out of that joint!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, as a mechanic, this has been tough to follow. Grated, what I work on is MUCH smaller but c'mon, wtf is going on over there? I've been out of the dealer scene for 10 years, have things changed this much? Reading @Rockwood thread on his Mustang too. NONE of this would fly at the places I worked at.

Given that quote, I'd be wondering if a swap to a C9 or even an 8.3/8.9 Cummins would be money better spent? Looks like you've got an option now at least. The tow bill will be money well spent to GTF out of that joint!
At least I got out of it whole, eventually.

Sorry @ChEFF.  Pay with a Visa, then dispute it as a final:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

? :biggrin:

Glad to here your getting it away from that shop. Nothing seems on the up and up from them. 

Personally I would tow it home and then list it for sale as a "Mechanic Special".  Someone out there will have the will to purchase it and rebuild or replace the motor.  A coach of this caliber might just be out of their reach, but with a bad motor they will take the gamble.

Or they will buy, fix, and flip.  Market is still hot.

Its pretty obvious you want a newer coach just by reading your posts.  Just give in.  🙂

Have a friend in Texas with a hauling business / lowboy. His name is Eric @ Elite hauling services llc. 

(619)922-6919

Thanks. Calling right now. That was FRANK with a Water Heater company. Peace

Talked with the Wagner Caterpillar guy this morning. He said CAT will cover 25% of the bill. Because he's afraid i'll take it to a NON CAT dealer to have it fixed. What does that matter if they're not backing their product anyway?! I told him they should cover everything. I'll pay the labor. CAT REP said no. I told him to button up the motor and i'll come get it. Then he called me back and said the (tube?) to the #4 cylinder was clogged with some black debris in it. He just found out the info this morning. Some kind of plastic looking debris. He also said it would have been nice to know that a few days a go. I've got no clue what he's talking about. Now I'm getting diicked around by the trucking agent. Deal is for $3700 now he's saying that truck ain't available and most likely the rate will be higher. Really?? I'll keep looking at others. That rate was fair. Oh well, at least i'm not dealing with ALB NM anymore. Peace

Have a friend in Texas with a hauling business / lowboy. His name is Eric @ Elite hauling services llc. 

(619)922-6919
Eric is an awesome dude and a duner too, I'm sure he'd take care of daChEFF if it comes to that.  Of course, depending on route IDK if that RV can be transported, even on a lowboy.  Most Class As are 13-ish feet tall, which is why any you see "brand new" out here on the West Coast have 2k+ miles on them: they drive them out because they're too tall to transport.  This is also why when you see them getting towed, the wrecker grabs under the front axle but lifts it as little as possible and they remove the driveshaft and tow it on the ground.  Now, I'm sure there's SOME way to get a downed RV back on a trailer, perhaps through special permit and careful route planning, but IDK.

-TJ

Back