Honda Talons - Let’s see them

Surprised to see allot of Honda Talon support at the Sand Show. Besides the annual Honda display booth, which I thought was one of the best of all manufactures. Polaris, Can Am & Kawasaki did not seem very interested in being there IMO? I saw many Talons on display around the show. Several were the factory supported race Talons for Baja & King of the Hammers. Jamie Campbell of Raceco had a booth with one of his race Talons on display with all his parts. He makes very nice quality parts for the Talon if your looking.,

It was good to see the support for another brand besides the big two. I will admit I was surprised to not see more aftermarket support for the Kawasaki KRX. 
The race Talons were super nice as was the Honda race truck.   There was a good amount of Honda stuff sprinkled through out the show.   

I saw some Kawi stuff.  The desert race Kawi was pretty nice.  Actually ended up talking to Jeremey Mcgrath for a few minutes at the Maxxis tire booth.  

This is the Company I recommend waiting for. The owner (Chad Deutsch)has been racing his Talon and working with PPEI on perfecting the tunes for his turbo kit. 

https://drpowersports.com/
I called, and talked to someone (not the owner). He told  me the owner was rarely there& was typically off racing somewhere; and told me they aren’t working on any turbo kits for the Talon.  He told me that the owner has one off stuff on his 2 race cars, which were built by an outside company in conjunction with racing with Honda.. He couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me who with.. 

I called, and talked to someone (not the owner). He told  me the owner was rarely there& was typically off racing somewhere; and told me they aren’t working on any turbo kits for the Talon.  He told me that the owner has one off stuff on his 2 race cars, which were built by an outside company in conjunction with racing with Honda.. He couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me who with.. 
I called earlier this week and left a voicemail but no call back. 
Just called again after reading your post and got the same “no turbo “ answer, except this guy told me that they were using the Jackson turbo. 

I called earlier this week and left a voicemail but no call back. 
Just called again after reading your post and got the same “no turbo “ answer, except this guy told me that they were using the Jackson turbo. 
I just got off the phone with Jason at Kraftweks.. They are about a month out from release.. Going that route. A couple grand less, and better performance than the JR kit. 

I just got off the phone with Jason at Kraftweks.. They are about a month out from release.. Going that route. A couple grand less, and better performance than the JR kit. 
Kraftwerks was at the SSSS. I was told that their turbo kit is not covered under the warranty. I was also told that their turbo kit would be around $4,200 plus you need a tuner tool from Dynojet that is $400. The Jackson kit is $5800.
IMHO I would rather pay the $1,200 extra giving me the comfort that Jackson worked with Honda R&D to get it right and maintain my factory warranty.

How does Kraftwerks address tuning the DCT?

Honda REALLY needs to face reality, and offer a factory turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Kraftwerks was at the SSSS. I was told that their turbo kit is not covered under the warranty. I was also told that their turbo kit would be around $4,200 plus you need a tuner tool from Dynojet that is $400. The Jackson kit is $5800.
IMHO I would rather pay the $1,200 extra giving me the comfort that Jackson worked with Honda R&D to get it right and maintain my factory warranty.
Pretty much have found that warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. as there is almost always a way for them to skate.. My rig is far from stock, which pretty much gives a lot of latitude to endaround anything.. KW uses the Dyna pv3, which has the ability to adjust almost anything in the power/drivetrain if IANM..And I already had it, so no need to buy it again... Plus the HP numbers and more importantly 0-60 times are on a whole different scale from JR.. May not be for everyone.. It's what I will be doing unless someone shows me something I have not seen yet. 

Pretty much have found that warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. as there is almost always a way for them to skate.. My rig is far from stock, which pretty much gives a lot of latitude to endaround anything.. KW uses the Dyna pv3, which has the ability to adjust almost anything in the power/drivetrain if IANM..And I already had it, so no need to buy it again... Plus the HP numbers and more importantly 0-60 times are on a whole different scale from JR.. May not be for everyone.. It's what I will be doing unless someone shows me something I have not seen yet. 
Do yourself a favor and call Chad at the link I provided. I have the Jackson kit and not impressed with it. There are numerous companies that have been working on a kit and never come to market. Chad is very knowledgeable, has been racing his Talon and is the closest to putting out the best kit. He has been working with the guys from PPEI. They will have it soon and worth the wait IMO. 

Do yourself a favor and call Chad at the link I provided. I have the Jackson kit and not impressed with it. There are numerous companies that have been working on a kit and never come to market. Chad is very knowledgeable, has been racing his Talon and is the closest to putting out the best kit. He has been working with the guys from PPEI. They will have it soon and worth the wait IMO. 
It appears that you missed the posts by Schmidty and I. We both called the link you posted and were told there’s no turbo kit being developed and I was told he uses the Jackson turbo. 

It appears that you missed the posts by Schmidty and I. We both called the link you posted and were told there’s no turbo kit being developed and I was told he uses the Jackson turbo. 
Sorry I missed that. Went back and re-read it. If you join any Talon page on Facebook you can search for Chad and send him a message. I really encourage both of you to save your money and wait. I have already been down this road. 

The stock pistons are not strong enough for the turbo and there have been many failures including mine. Neither Honda or Jackson will take ownership. So keep in mind whatever kit you eventually choose, replace the factory pistons at the same time. 

Bummer to hear the factory pistons are not handling the turbo kits well...

Sorry I missed that. Went back and re-read it. If you join any Talon page on Facebook you can search for Chad and send him a message. I really encourage both of you to save your money and wait. I have already been down this road. 

The stock pistons are not strong enough for the turbo and there have been many failures including mine. Neither Honda or Jackson will take ownership. So keep in mind whatever kit you eventually choose, replace the factory pistons at the same time. 
Can you share the details of the many piston failures?  I and I'm sure many others would like to know what happened.  

I did a search and found one forum where there was a piston failure on a Honda Talon when the owner turned up the boost on a Jackson Turbo from 8psi to 18psi.  He admitted he was trying to break the motor to find it's limit.

Can you share the details of the many piston failures?  I and I'm sure many others would like to know what happened.  

I did a search and found one forum where there was a piston failure on a Honda Talon when the owner turned up the boost on a Jackson Turbo from 8psi to 18psi.  He admitted he was trying to break the motor to find it's limit.
I'm not very mechanical so my description may be incorrect but from what I understand the piston skirts are breaking. The general consensus is that the stock pistons are too weak for any boost. 

• Thanks
I'm not very mechanical so my description may be incorrect but from what I understand the piston skirts are breaking. The general consensus is that the stock pistons are too weak for any boost. 
I did some searching and couldn’t find anything on piston failures, other than the one that I mentioned in the earlier post.
Can you post the links or point them out to me so I can get more info on these failures?

Thanks. 

I wonder if you can just take the new Weller kit and mod the intake or whatever else you would need to make it fit. They have been running their kits on stock yxz's with low boost for years, I have one on mine, 160 rwhp on the dyno at 6psi. (/w cams, upgraded head studs, and valves)

View attachment 15137

https://www.wellerracing.com/YXZ1000R-WR-Edition-Turbo-Kit_p_4215.html
You make an interesting point. 
But I’m just trying to find the reasons for the failures with Talon and Jackson turbo. 
Other than turning the boost up from 8 psi to 18 psi, what are the other reasons for the failures?  Are people making modifications to the Talon and/or Jackson Turbo kit causing the problems?

Cast pistons are not a great idea in a turbo engine IMHO.

• Thanks
Cast pistons are not a great idea in a turbo engine IMHO.
Do all of the other SXS have forged pistons in their turbo motors that come stock from the manufacturer?

I decided to go with Sand Stripper tires and Method 406 headlock wheels. 
Maybe it was the logo.  :drool:
6DD81BA0-5B09-490F-9B7C-201506E6EDFA.jpeg

Back