Honda Talons - Let’s see them

The Talon is performing well in the Oregon dunes. Spent the first two weeks in the Winchester Bay and Florence dune areas.  Just got to Coos Bay and plan to be here for a week or so.  
So far the dunes are hard to read with no bowls but beautiful scenery. Everyone is telling me the sand is really soft because they haven’t had much rain. No paddles and no turbo and I can get everywhere in the dunes with the Talon.

I banged some whoops pretty hard on a few of the trails and the Fox Live Valve suspension did a nice job of soaking them up.  However, I hit a couple of hard G outs in the dunes and bottomed out. I’ll wait to see what happens after I get some bigger and softer paddle tires in Mother G this season.  However, I may be looking at good suspension seats at the Sand Show for this FOG.

The beach is fun but is usually windy and then the fog rolls in.

8C38BCF9-0EFE-4AB8-98E9-C2387CF4C3F1.jpeg

CA719373-4ADC-4E16-B75D-BCB0DE8B0AE3.jpeg

83B1BF45-012D-4DB1-A892-46205A282869.jpeg

Trust me, you are going to need a turbo. Don't be lulled into thinking the Talon is capable based on Oregon. Once you hit Glamis or Dumont or Idaho you'll understand. We only go to Oregon for the scenery. Enjoy Coos. I'll be there in 2 weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, you are going to need a turbo. Don't be lulled into thinking the Talon is capable based on Oregon. Once you hit Glamis or Dumont or Idaho you'll understand. We only go to Oregon for the scenery. Enjoy Coos. I'll be there in 2 weeks. 
Agreed. I’ve driven a turbo Talon and the same Talon without a turbo in Glamis several times so I’m not being lulled. But you make a good point for others to note. 
A number of guys on here said don’t bring your sand car to Oregon so I brought the Talon. 
I thought some people would be interested in how it performs in the Oregon dunes with a stock motor and stock tires. 
Enjoy your trip to Coos Bay. I hope you find some sunshine. 

I’m glad I have a winch for the Talon. 
In the Oregon dunes they have these tall green things coming up out of the dunes. Beautiful to look at but they create a hole around them, not good. For you guys that ski or snowboard, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about with the snow around the trees creating a hole. Same thing.  
I found out after a few weeks in the Oregon dunes I don’t like going on the trails through the trees, but today I was with a group in Coos Bay following another SxS. He stopped, I stopped.  My front end started sliding sideways down into one of these tree holes. I tried to backup uphill. Nope!
Fortunately I stopped sliding before I hit the tree. So I hooked the winch to one of the trees. There are many to choose from. And then winched the front end sideways back on to the trail.  
I really didn’t like winching the front end sideways. To much stress on front end but I got it out and nothing looks damaged. 
Once I got back to camp I thought it might have been better to winch the Talon up hill backward. Run the winch rope under the Talon to a tree. Put a block of wood between the winch rope and undercarriage so it doesn’t rub on any sharp metal. 
Anyone tried this?  Maybe I’ll give it a try in a safe spot tomorrow. Plenty of trees to hook up to. 

Thanks for the up dates FOG

I know our Oregon dunes are not like the big dunes but for me it is still a sand fix and the tree bowls can for sure be interesting at times but we really enjoy the treed trails in the sxs. One group we ride with does guys night rides and that is pretty wild super fast rides at night in the trails.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here I have never tried winching back under the car but it might work okay I would be worried about your line though if you have synthetic. 

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG

I know our Oregon dunes are not like the big dunes but for me it is still a sand fix and the tree bowls can for sure be interesting at times but we really enjoy the treed trails in the sxs. One group we ride with does guys night rides and that is pretty wild super fast rides at night in the trails.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here I have never tried winching back under the car but it might work okay I would be worried about your line though if you have synthetic. 
Thanks again for all of your help. I am enjoying the Oregon dunes, just a different style of riding but still lot’s of fun.

I gave the backwards winching a try this morning and it worked.  Only moved the Talon a couple of feet uphill because the synthetic rope was rubbing even though I put a block of wood under the front.

I think a boat bow roller on the front and back would solve that problem.

ADB3BA45-6F0F-4323-BE06-884AF76F4E39.jpeg

94B0A2A8-5909-4591-873F-4DC931EE3AC6.jpeg

Reactions: GBR
I think a boat bow roller on the front and back would solve that problem.
I think that is an exellent idea might have to make a place for those on my sxs when I get around to building bumpers.

• Thanks
so FOG how is the trip going
Great!  The Talon is running perfect.  Would you expect anything thing else from a Honda?

I only had 5 miles on it when I got to the Oregon dunes so I brought filters and oil to do the 100 mile service. Now have a little more than 350 miles on it. 
Hopefully will meet up with some friends in the Paso Robles area to do some trail riding. We’ll see how that goes. 
Thanks for asking. 

Great!  The Talon is running perfect.  Would you expect anything thing else from a Honda?

I only had 5 miles on it when I got to the Oregon dunes so I brought filters and oil to do the 100 mile service. Now have a little more than 350 miles on it. 
Hopefully will meet up with some friends in the Paso Robles area to do some trail riding. We’ll see how that goes. 
Thanks for asking. 
Have a Great time Buddy and we will meet up for some rides at some point

Today is the first time I took the Talon on mountain trails. 
I’m up in the Tahoe National Forest, so I made a run up to Verdi Peak, elevation 8,444 feet, and Lady Bug Peak. Total for the day was just over 40 miles. 
The Talon performed like a “Swiss Watch” , even at that elevation. Lots of rocks from time to time but I just kept it in auto mode and only used the paddle shifters to go up or down a few times. 
There was only one obstacle that I thought that I couldn’t make it over.  I thought about the winch but then I found away around the tree. 
Not sure if I like this trail riding stuff in the the mountains. Very slow paced and rocks and rocks and rocks but beautiful scenery. 

D0F586F1-9D1A-48F2-802F-C2BB5F9D6BFE.jpeg

73F28E81-6850-4B50-9DD1-1F269E793E31.jpeg

C82E768B-9063-46EF-B3EE-ACD401CB9320.jpeg

ABB2E1AA-FEFF-4C16-9536-503086662B52.jpeg

The Honda is way more capable in the trails than the dunes. Where did you stage out of ?  The RV park we've always stayed at in Verdi doesn't allow SxS's anymore. 

I’m at Boyington Mill campground near Boca Reservoir off of Interstate 80 east of Truckee. There is an OHV access road across from the campground. It gets you up to the 72 dirt road. 
I did the southern part yesterday. I’ll give the northern part a try tomorrow.  
Today I went around Lake Tahoe and did some investigation regarding the Rubicon trail. I wanted to give that a try but the Forest Service said that they are going to close it tomorrow or Friday depending upon the fire. 
It may be time to head back south. Thinking I might try Pismo or ??? but that might be questionable due to my lack of planning. 
Hope that helps. 

Hit a rock today and bent the passenger side lower A arm a little on the Talon. That wasn’t the rock. lol

Not bad enough to turn around so I kept going.  I went up to Sardine Lookout and then over to Verdi NV. and saw the Sasquatch Tavern. 
A little over 63 miles. The Talon ran great. One of these days I’m going to put some more gas in the tank. 

AA5DBC90-1D10-4314-AE89-7B13AA96D6CD.jpeg

364AFF8F-76DF-466A-A01A-6BC4250CC4FC.jpeg

FF2707E8-C33F-42CA-953A-B3C2C7A4BD4E.jpeg

578CEEA3-55D5-415F-B46F-0907246674EF.jpeg

F161C5C1-BAD8-43F2-AC11-87DAC112591C.jpeg

I’m at Boyington Mill campground near Boca Reservoir off of Interstate 80 east of Truckee. There is an OHV access road across from the campground. It gets you up to the 72 dirt road. 
I did the southern part yesterday. I’ll give the northern part a try tomorrow.  
Today I went around Lake Tahoe and did some investigation regarding the Rubicon trail. I wanted to give that a try but the Forest Service said that they are going to close it tomorrow or Friday depending upon the fire. 
It may be time to head back south. Thinking I might try Pismo or ??? but that might be questionable due to my lack of planning. 
Hope that helps. 
You might be able to get into Pismo on a day pass but definitely not going to be able to stay overnight. Maybe look into some trail riding out of Shaver Lake in the Sierra's out of Fresno. Join the Knuckles Up facebook page. There is someone riding somewhere every weekend. Easy to meet up and have a good adventure.

You might be able to get into Pismo on a day pass but definitely not going to be able to stay overnight. Maybe look into some trail riding out of Shaver Lake in the Sierra's out of Fresno. Join the Knuckles Up facebook page. There is someone riding somewhere every weekend. Easy to meet up and have a good adventure.
Thanks. 
I’m not on FB. Too old I guess. 
But I’ll check out Shaver Lake. 
Too bad about Pismo. I’m an ASA member and have been reading about the issues. It sucks as far as what’s going on but I’ll continue supporting their cause. $$$
Pismo was my first dune experience and have been hooked since. RideRed was still in the womb on that first trip. 

Back