Honda Talons - Let’s see them

FOG I like that winch mounting you did.. My buddy wants too do a winch on his when he gets his and that looks Clean

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG
FOG I like that winch mounting you did.. My buddy wants too do a winch on his when he gets his and that looks Clean
Thanks Trap,  It's the winch kit and winch from Honda Accessories.  The winch is a Warn 3500 lbs. with a wired remote that connects in the glove box.  It does require a new bumper.  Mine is aluminum, but they also have a steel one.

Air intakes sucks the dirt off the right rear tire like a 2008 RZR. DOH!  Solution: "Oh, just buy our $400 electric air cleaner."

Instrument cluster center mounted, and difficult to read in direct sun.

Suspension is excruciatingly bad out of the box, and even after re-tuned/re-sprung still has a geometry issue in the rear making it prone to bucking.

Ongoing QC issue with front driveshaft:lack of proper interference fit of u-joint caps in bores of yoke leads to wallowed out bore, clips failing/falling out, and caps leaving the scene. Some have had repeat failures of new replacement shafts. My buddy's R lost caps within a couple hundred miles. Superior engineering?

Even though the Jackson turbo kit is "factory endorsed", Honda chose to go with cast pistons, and cracked pistons and broken skirts are starting to appear.

No bus-bar for electrical accessory hookup, and battery box is very tight.

Only driver's seat is adjustable.

Running four equal size wheels requires spacers at the rear.
I Just got done revalving/springing a 2 seat "R" Live Valve.. I did not have "bucking" issue.. 

Wow very interesting. I had not known about the driveshaft issues. Or Air filter issues. 

The rear geometry is a huge issue with the Talon and can’t really be overcome, with shock tuning as its a design issue Honda built

Honda’s motor is probably bullet proof as all Honda’s are, but I have been told the pistons were cast, which is not a problem if left alone.  It is questionable of the longevity of adding the Jackson Turbo kit. IMO if you considering spending the money to add a Turbo, why not just buy a vehicle with more power off the showroom floor? You don’t buy a Honda because of the power or possible power adders. 
Exactly what is said "issue" that "cannot be overcome" ??     And says who, and on what authority?   

I Just got done revalving/springing a 2 seat "R" Live Valve.. I did not have "bucking" issue.. 
That's interesting.  Did it have a bucking issue before the re-valve or was there some other reason for the re-valve? 

That's interesting.  Did it have a bucking issue before the re-valve or was there some other reason for the re-valve? 
He didn’t complain about that. His complaint was that it was harsh.. My point was that I did not see some defect in geometry, that was unable to be overcome, as has been talked about. I think sometimes if an “opinion” get copied and pasted often enough, somehow it becomes fact.. it was a little slot car when finished...

It's called "Line of Force". Draw a line from the contact patch through the front pivot point of the trailing arm. On the Talon this line is too vertical, and in a much less than ideal point relative to the center of gravity. When pounding whoops it drives the rear of the car up, resulting in bucking.

It's called "Line of Force". Draw a line from the contact patch through the front pivot point of the trailing arm. On the Talon this line is too vertical, and in a much less than ideal point relative to the center of gravity. When pounding whoops it drives the rear of the car up, resulting in bucking.
A couple of seasons ago I watched a two seat Honda Talon pounding the whoops at the bottom of Olds and there was no bucking. He would get a running start from a little ways back and stayed on it through the whoops and up the hill several times.

The rear end wasn't bucking and stayed in a straight line each run. 
 The whole suspension, front and rear, was working good and soaked up the whoops very well from what I saw.  

Removed the factory seat belts and nets. Installing PRP harnesses and Crow wrist restraints. 

E835443D-E157-4E8D-96E9-C1799C0D824B.jpeg

Question here since this is A Talon thread. My buddy is looking everywhere for a 4 seat live valve. Can't find any at all.. Anybody know where a dealer might have one? we have checked CL and ATV trader and all that and Nothing

Question here since this is A Talon thread. My buddy is looking everywhere for a 4 seat live valve. Can't find any at all.. Anybody know where a dealer might have one? we have checked CL and ATV trader and all that and Nothing
I had to go out of CA to buy my Talon 2 seater.  If your buddy is looking to buy soon that might be an option. 

I wanted to put a trailer hitch receiver on my Talon but everyone I found was not compatible with the rear bumper I already had. 
So I bought a 3/16” metal plate.  Not sure if it’s DOM or Chromoly. lol 😆 

Anyway, I massaged the plate so the bumper fits and cut a receiver with a couple of gussets. Will have my Grandson weld it up and I’ll be done. 

F42A9966-51A6-45CF-8722-F62A8FE581E2.jpeg

EE5BB6E7-66A3-4EDE-B4D2-B7C2723D0290.jpeg

E8396032-FBD6-4C98-92F8-6526EF4A2763.jpeg

I couldn’t find a spare tire rack that I liked that was compatible with my rear bumper.  So I decided to fabricate a plate for the spare tire and mount that to a rack I bought. 

06C71300-36C0-43F5-A8E5-1899938ADA0F.jpeg

8E4C4A47-5612-4AE6-9EFF-F11001E7A303.jpeg

7A892167-59E5-4E95-AB31-1E75C45E32C5.jpeg

E5720625-B79E-4819-9B42-77D834F33CDE.jpeg

Back