Honda Talons - Let’s see them

My Buddy has his car in getting the turbo installed.. He said he will be dropping it off at my house next week so we will see.

My Buddy has his car in getting the turbo installed.. He said he will be dropping it off at my house next week so we will see.
That’s awesome. 
I’m sure he is going to like the power he gets from the turbo.

If he’s interested in a particle separator, I think that the connection kit is available from Jackson Racing. 

So its no secret the Talon has a pretty lackluster air intake design.. Honda completely missed the mark on that with pulling air from the passenger wheel well. Filters being loaded to the gills in under a 100 miles in silty conditions.., so I researched what was available, and there really wasn’t much other than the K&N.. Not being a K&N fan, I set out to design & make my own, utilizing a donaldson style intake, like I have done on previous UTVS i have owned .Most of it is pieced together ,but  I did however purchase the intake manifold split horn from K&N . I had to fabricate a mount, and will need to lengthen the intake sensor wire  to reach the new location in the new housing..  pics so far. I’ll post more when I get it finished.. I also plan on putting a donaldson centrifugal spinning  pre-cleaner above the bed ; Which will feed the intake with both cleaner and cooler air. It will come through the removable access door/panel.. It will probably take a tiny bit more effort to change filters, since the whole intake will have to come out to do it however it should have to happen the way less often.

64B1DD32-0E21-4528-9A84-344744637D18.jpeg

20D448AF-F8B3-4F6D-A4D6-D32567BEB089.jpeg

DFE40DCC-2C17-4427-AC7B-4AD3A6DD8B3A.jpeg

FDFACAD9-DF38-4FF3-BE58-8ACAC95F33F4.jpeg

7F00A21A-3660-45EF-B3F6-D4AD4D904355.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I added the turbo I installed a foam pre-filter and that helped a little bit. You are correct in that Honda really missed the mark on their design. Jackson even made it worse with their filter set up. 

So its no secret the Talon has a pretty lackluster air intake design.. Honda completely missed the mark on that with pulling air from the passenger wheel well. Filters being loaded to the gills in under a 100 miles in silty conditions.., so I researched what was available, and there really wasn’t much other than the K&N.. Not being a K&N fan, I set out to design & make my own, utilizing a donaldson style intake, like I have done on previous UTVS i have owned .Most of it is pieced together ,but  I did however purchase the intake manifold split horn from K&N . I had to fabricate a mount, and will need to lengthen the intake sensor wire  to reach the new location in the new housing..  pics so far. I’ll post more when I get it finished.. I also plan on putting a donaldson centrifugal spinning  pre-cleaner above the bed ; Which will feed the intake with both cleaner and cooler air. It will come through the removable access door/panel.. It will probably take a tiny bit more effort to change filters, since the whole intake will have to come out to do it however it should have to happen the way less often.

View attachment 28680

View attachment 28681

View attachment 28682

View attachment 28683

View attachment 28684
Will you be using Donaldson's cyclonic prefilter on the inlet?

Will you be using Donaldson's cyclonic prefilter on the inlet?
4" Donaldson "Top-Spin" .Basically it is uses passive incoming air, to rotate the fan/paddle wheel which is nested on a ball bearing spindle, this paddle spins dirt centrifugally out of incoming air, by shooting it out a side ejection port. The higher the RPM, the more the airflow, the faster and more aggressively it spins. This will connect to a 4" intake port on a 8"x 15 filter housing..which also has cyclonic fins on the air filter itself to spin dirt off in there as well.  It's overkill, but will not restrict airflow even if/when I do the Turbo down the road, although plumbing will have to be redone at that point.. 

Great idea on a better filtration system. Looking forward to what you come up with as a final solution. 

Finally had a chance to work on it an finish it up..The dirty filter pic shows just just how plowed the OEM filter gets in just a hundred & 50 miles or so..hoping this keeps it much cleaner longer.. I did have to relocate the airbox sensor & extend the wire.. 

EB9D7562-47B0-45FE-BD3B-FDAE1664A74E.jpeg

6D4DEDF1-16C2-42A1-8A5D-F8C8E6CEB3C9.jpeg

D87D839B-057A-46FE-A88F-24BE367292C3.jpeg

050E4417-2668-4D1B-91FE-E7555620E62C.jpeg

55E7F1F9-B943-4F8B-9711-EFF3955E78CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Next to rewire the gauge cluster relocate..tagged wires prior to surgery.

CF501632-9AAC-4176-B63B-3DBFB021ECB6.jpeg

Reactions: FOG
I love the Donaldson filter on my YXZ, just blow and go, much more surface area over the stock dual filters, no icky sticky, no 2 hour process to get the secondary out and back in.

Next to rewire the gauge cluster relocate..tagged wires prior to surgery.

View attachment 29367
I don’t know where you’re relocating your gauge cluster to, but I relocated mine to the steering column and only had to cut and lengthen two wires. 
I posted some info on it in this thread on February 11th. It’s been working good since then. 

I don’t know where you’re relocating your gauge cluster to, but I relocated mine to the steering column and only had to cut and lengthen two wires. 
I posted some info on it in this thread on February 11th. It’s been working good since then. 
Know it can work, but I did the math, and to me, it looked like the wire was going to end up being a little strained , and basically unsupported and under tension. Bouncing long term, I feel extending the loom, and  having the wire bundle properly supported the entire way, with zero tension on it is not going to leave me stranded somewhere in a worse case scenario. It took a little bit more time to solder and heat shrink, but its now bulletproof.

Know it can work, but I did the math, and to me, it looked like the wire was going to end up being a little strained , and basically unsupported and under tension. Bouncing long term, I feel extending the loom, and  having the wire bundle properly supported the entire way, with zero tension on it is not going to leave me stranded somewhere in a worse case scenario. It took a little bit more time to solder and heat shrink, but its now bulletproof.
Good call. 
What kit did you end up with?

Don’t forget the pictures. 

Good call. 
What kit did you end up with?

Don’t forget the pictures. 
bought a shroud off of ebay to relocate cluster to the steering stem. it came with 2 pieces of low quality wire 16" long and a couple of solder/shrink connectors (which IMHO are junk btw). Car is getting wrapped, so I don't have it to take pictures. There are 10 wires going there total, so I actually got (2) 5 wire trailer kits, and it actually worked out perfect for length, plus I now have a plug disconnect in the middle if ever needed. just engraved them individually to match them up. 

Reactions: FOG
bought a shroud off of ebay to relocate cluster to the steering stem. it came with 2 pieces of low quality wire 16" long and a couple of solder/shrink connectors (which IMHO are junk btw). Car is getting wrapped, so I don't have it to take pictures. There are 10 wires going there total, so I actually got (2) 5 wire trailer kits, and it actually worked out perfect for length, plus I now have a plug disconnect in the middle if ever needed. just engraved them individually to match them up. 
Great idea. 

I have a question for everyone who has Turbo'd their Talon. My friend Brian bought a 4 seater put the turbo kit on his and WE are planning on doing a run in a few weeks from my House to Slash X and back Off road it should be right at 100 miles Give or take. We all know the talons have the smallest gas tank and we are thinking he wont make it without Getting Fuel. What is your best Guess at the fuel mileage you all have been getting??

I have a question for everyone who has Turbo'd their Talon. My friend Brian bought a 4 seater put the turbo kit on his and WE are planning on doing a run in a few weeks from my House to Slash X and back Off road it should be right at 100 miles Give or take. We all know the talons have the smallest gas tank and we are thinking he wont make it without Getting Fuel. What is your best Guess at the fuel mileage you all have been getting??
I don’t have any real mileage figures that I have measured. But I did a run from Gecko campground down to Duner’s Diner , the Wall, over to the Plank Road display and back. We did a little dunning and some short side trips. 
I would estimate about 60 miles in all and I was almost out when we got back. My fuel gauge started flashing just south of Road Runner. Which means about 1 gallon left in the tank. 
Of course you already know that you’ll go through more gas in the sand versus hard pack, but I would plan on needing more gas. 
Let us know what the results are and have fun. 

Back