Helmets in buggies, new law??

Good rule of thumb in camp.....Don't leave camp without a helmet on. I've broke that rule quite a few times too. Peace
Yep.  Especially pulling the toys off the trailer and then hot-dogging into camp...  Always think afterwards that that could've been the time I screwed up and went for a ride with no belts or helmet... :biggrin:

My point was not wearing a helmet, I am all for a helmet, mine was almost $1000, i feel if you wear a helmet, at least you should have some kind of neck protection, 

You only get one brain in life, protect it. 
I don’t agree with your excuses, but it’s your life, your brain, do what you want. 
Once I got used to wearing it, I would never not wear one. 
one thing i will never forget about 20 yrs ago i was on a volunteer fire dept went on a call and it was a head on collision. it was a girl from my high school she was technically decapitated she was reaching for something we think and went into on coming traffic at about 35 0r 40 mph. the force of the impact caused her head to break her neck on impact her neck was about a foot long. if she wasn't wearing a seat belt she may of been ejected and possibly of lived but probably not this was before air bags were in most cars. i could definitely see where wearing a helmet could cause severe neck injury from the weight of the helmet but also could save you from a scull injury on a bar. i only buy the best and lightest helmets and its has paid off my son races mx hit a kicker off a jump landed on his head and the bike landed on his back breaking the rear sub frame.bell moto 10 carbon cracked the helmet no neck injury but 3 burst fractured vertebrae and 3 broken ribs im sure if he had a cheap helmet he would of had severe neck injury. the moto 10 spherical basically has a helmet in a helmet and lets the shell rotate around your head to lessen the forces from a impact. but that is on a bike where you are impacting something like the ground with your body. and in a buggy with good belts you should not be able to impact anything with your body and a helmet would not be of any help and may cause neck injury without a hauns device.  just my opinion  

I think in the sand dunes industry, whats looked over more than anything else is proper belts, seats, and how to wear/adjust them to keep you safe. I see SO many guys just haphazardly clip in a loose belt. If you roll at anything over 25 your belts stretch a ton. Also see a grip of people not wearing the crotch strap... Then I'd suggest probably 75% of cars out there have suspension seats. While comfortable, they compress and expand by more than a foot in a big crash. So if we want to talk about safety, every car should take a look at their belts, how they mount them, how they wear them, the seats, and the quality of the seats. You should be SUPER strapped down. I always say, they aren't meant to be comfortable, they are meant to keep you safe and anytime you sit in a moving car, you should have 5 points strapped in. If your belts and seats aren't correct, helmet or not, you're gonna make contact with one of the bars. You just jiggling around in your seat to see if your head will hit a bar does not constitute for a proper test of belt and seat viability. 

It's not hitting the A-pillar or the roof bar you really need to worry about when you hit.  It is when your head hits the sand that is going to hurt and if you don't think your going to move far enough to get your melon smacked by the sand or if you think the sand is soft and will move out of the way.... Well you might of already hit your head one to many times anyway.

I saw a dude get some good head cashes when he crashed and his shocks exploaded. It's your head, so no laws, just do what you're comfortable with. I always wore a helmet in my rail as I was assured I'd crash (but never did).

My personal preference.

abc

We should probably require airbags too.... :poke:
We talking the ones that come out the steering wheel or the ones the ladies get?   I agree if it is the lady airbags.   LOL!!!

We should probably require airbags too.... :poke:
and crumple zones and NTSA certifications and turn signals and a glow in the dark lever to escape from the trunk if you have been kidnapped. 

image.jpeg

@Orange_R reminded me about this thread with a rep point. 

Stuff like this:

image.png

I see a LOT. Get some padding. Wear a helmet. Those shock bolts will be nice bone hammers. :biggrin:

I’ll have to raise the roof on my SU 5 link.  I think I’ll either have to change the entire geometry of the cage or make a smaller roof.  Not exactly sure how to get enough clearance for helmets 

Where to get the lightest weight helmets.  If one of my kids breaks their neck because of the extra weight on their heads in an incident, I might just start looking up addresses of helmet proponents. 

I’ll have to raise the roof on my SU 5 link.  I think I’ll either have to change the entire geometry of the cage or make a smaller roof.  Not exactly sure how to get enough clearance for helmets 

Where to get the lightest weight helmets.  If one of my kids breaks their neck because of the extra weight on their heads in an incident, I might just start looking up addresses of helmet proponents. 
Your choice, not mine. 

Most brands have a carbon option. Neck rolls are useful. SFI neck restraints come in kids’ sizes if you want to go all out on safety. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back