Helmets in buggies, new law??

Question nobody wants to hear !

Why wouldn't you wear a helmet in a sandcar ? 

Edited to add that I don't want them to tell me I have to wear one , I just  happen to think it's the smart choice. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Because...you don't look as cool! :kenk:

Long flowing gray locks, Ray Ban sunglasses, # 10 washer for an ear ring...gotta show off and it's all about being seen!

Under a helmet...you cant' recognize who they are! That's the most important thing!

:bag:

:lmao:

Ok, this is meant as a joke...I actually don't mind wearing a helmet...just comes from dirt Bike days. I'm used to it and like it.

Carry on!

:dbart:

Because...you don't look as cool! :kenk:

Long flowing gray locks, Ray Ban sunglasses, # 10 washer for an ear ring...gotta show off and it's all about being seen!

Under a helmet...you cant' recognize who they are! That's the most important thing!

:bag:

Ok, this is meant as a joke...I actually don't mind wearing a helmet...just comes from dirt Bike days. I'm used to it and like it.

Carry on!

:dbart:
By yore logic...CA should pass a law that requires a helmet to have sex...so you can't tell if it's a tranny and assert your bigotry.

By yore logic...CA should pass a law that requires a helmet to have sex...so you can't tell if it's a tranny and assert your bigotry.
There are a lot of people that should be wear a "Helmet" regardless, wink wink...nudge nudge....aka protection!

200.gif

I too believe a helmet is a good thing especially in a FUNCO! And I agree, I don't like people telling me what to do! Peace

Edited to add that I don't want them to tell me I have to wear one , I just  happen to think it's the smart choice. 
When I had my Funco I ALWAYS ALWAYS wore a Helmet when I drove it. Especially chasing the George Family through the dunes.

I do agree I dont like anyone telling me what too do but for me Wearing a Helmet is just part of the experience for me nowdays

I definitely disagree with more laws saying I have to do something. 

With that being said I wanted to run helmets in my old buggy, but didn't have the headroom. 

SxS now has comms and a pumper setup and I've got to say its so nice.

With the soft roof like it's a breeze. 

In the old hustler, I would hit the roof.  I've got no excuse now. :)

What are Sand Cars classified as?

It looks to me like the new definition of ROHV would include Sand Cars too because they removed the cc limit. 

SECTION 1.

Section 500 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:
(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.
(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.
(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.
(d) (1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.
(e)Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).
the very redefinition makes the 5 prior definitions moot. A buggy now meets all the definitions of an “rohv” 

In what way does it not meet these 4.5 guidelines?

Nope.

There are 5 classifications of OHV, #3 is Sand Cars, Buggies and Rails and #5 is ROHV - specifically SXS, UTV's. Called Section 500

The Amendment posted here by the OP is related to Section 500 that in only ROHV.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=38012.
You’re quoting regulations from 2013. This is all new stuff. And as of 2035 wont  matter anyways because all off road vehicles must be 100% electric. No grandfathers, no variance for older off road vehicles. Its a done deal CARB kicked our azz

IMG_2253.jpeg

You’re quoting regulations from 2013. This is all new stuff. And as of 2035 wont  matter anyways because all off road vehicles must be 100% electric. No grandfathers, no variance for older off road vehicles. Its a done deal CARB kicked our azz
I wish they were as worried about ground and water pollution as CARB is about killing our off road industry...  it might curtail some of the lithium battery waste that ends up in EVERYTHING

Back