Helmets in buggies, new law??

I'll PM my address to you so I can look you straight in the face and ask why you didn't include neck protection, with that helmet. 

Aggression in a forum doesn't scare me, but lack of common sense in the dunes surely will. 
How about air bags? How about crumple zones?  Why don’t we make collision avoidance AI mandatory?  Yea, PM me your address, I have no problem looking Karen in the eye.  

You have zero empirical data, that you’re silly helmet law for people in cars is less dangerous not more dangerous than the way they were designed.

What would make the dunes a lot safer actually is if we added another hundred dollars onto the season pass hired some more officers to enforce DUI laws, and get all the drunk a holes out of the dunes and into jail, where they belong

The only thing that really worries me out in the dunes, his head on collisions, and those are almost always caused by alcohol or drugs like marijuana

@Orange_R reminded me about this thread with a rep point. 

Stuff like this:

View attachment 81082

I see a LOT. Get some padding. Wear a helmet. Those shock bolts will be nice bone hammers. :biggrin:
especially back seaters... crazy stuff. when I took my kids out in our old car they were never and we were rarely w/o helmets(unless we were going from camp to vendors for food and doing  the slow crawl)

You have zero empirical data, that you’re silly helmet law for people in cars is less dangerous not more dangerous than the way they were designed.

What would make the dunes a lot safer actually is if we added another hundred dollars onto the season pass hired some more officers to enforce DUI laws, and get all the drunk a holes out of the dunes and into jail, where they belong

The only thing that really worries me out in the dunes, his head on collisions, and those are almost always caused by alcohol or drugs like marijuana
What are you even talking about?  Empirical data? I'm pretty sure hitting your noggin on a roll bar or end of a shock bolt with a helmet is better than without, but you can do as you please. Test it out and report back please.

Either way, I'd suggest not threatening people because they think it's a good idea.

The law itself doesn't apply to buggies.  That discussion went away a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damn I resemble that drunk pothead comment🤷🏽‍♂️

Head on accidents in the dunes is almost nonexistent.  Head on accidents in the hard pack happens all of the time, thus the reason I won't ride my motorcycle at Octillo or Dove Springs anymore. If you actually dune, the chances of hitting head on is very unlikely.

All this back and forth is funny.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if the rangers are pulling buggies over for operators not wearing helmets.  From what I can decipher here, it looks like we will not need to.  Hope not, it's already tight in my Funco for head room.

Wind on my face on an early morning crisp ride is one of the best feelings in life for me...not saying no helmet is smart, but nor is riding my motorcycle to work during traffic (with a helmet on) - risk vs reward.

Wind on my face on an early morning crisp ride is one of the best feelings in life for me...not saying no helmet is smart, but nor is riding my motorcycle to work during traffic (with a helmet on) - risk vs reward.
I put the visor up when I want wind directly on my face...

Which then promptly gets wind-burned and I regret it the rest of the trip. :biggrin:

All this back and forth is funny.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if the rangers are pulling buggies over for operators not wearing helmets.  From what I can decipher here, it looks like we will not need to.  Hope not, it's already tight in my Funco for head room.
There is a real easy solution to that.......... just plunk down $200K for a new one with more headroom.  LOL.

Serious Question:

Anyone have a suggestion for a helmet? Right now i'm pretty locked on the Pyrotect with a standard HANS. Second option is the Simpson Dirt Devil Carbon with Simpson Hybrid HANS. But anyone else have any other input? Not a ton of options out there for helmets with fresh air unfortunately. 

Serious Question:

Anyone have a suggestion for a helmet? Right now i'm pretty locked on the Pyrotect with a standard HANS. Second option is the Simpson Dirt Devil Carbon with Simpson Hybrid HANS. But anyone else have any other input? Not a ton of options out there for helmets with fresh air unfortunately. 
Both are excellent brands. I’d see which one fits the best in person

What are you even talking about?  Empirical data? I'm pretty sure hitting your noggin on a roll bar or end of a shock bolt with a helmet is better than without, but you can do as you please. Test it out and report back please.

Either way, I'd suggest not threatening people because they think it's a good idea.

The law itself doesn't apply to buggies.  That discussion went away a while ago.
Empirical data, as opposed to “common sense”  or a hunch or a feeling.  I’m agree that getting hit in the head with a helmet on is generally safer than without. I have a good friend who should have been paralyzed from the neck down from a hard hit when she wasn’t paying attention as a passenger with a helmet on in a buggy many years ago. It was only heroic medical work that allows her to walk today.  

I’ll take John Lock’s empirical data over common sense gun laws every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

Back