For Next Sand Car - School Me

This topic has gone from , mid or rear engine to, what builder,  to, how much money you got !

Yeehaw !

But I will add a question,  Where do you dune mostly ?.Why not have a Funco and an Alumicraft?

This topic has gone from , mid or rear engine to, what builder,  to, how much money you got !

Yeehaw !

But I will add a question,  Where do you dune mostly ?.Why not have a Funco and an Alumicraft?

I guess I missed the part about "how much money do you got"  

I live in Oregon so we dune there. Also plan to do 2-3 longer trips to G each year once I retire in a few years (or sooner). And then an occasional St Anthony trip as well. 

I have no interest in owning multiple sand cars. 

I guess I missed the part about "how much money do you got"  

I live in Oregon so we dune there. Also plan to do 2-3 longer trips to G each year once I retire in a few years (or sooner). And then an occasional St Anthony trip as well. 

I have no interest in owning multiple sand cars. 
Oh sorry, guess I misread your intentions. Thought for a minute you just wanted to out ball the ballers. My bad. Good luck with your endeavors. 

Glad you had a good experience meeting with Matt. Once you know what you are looking at its so blatantly obvious the difference between builders. Unfortunately 99% of guys in the dunes have zero idea. From eliminating dead tubes in the chassis, geometry and bumpsteer, to even the little things... properly shanked bolts and plumbing. I can almost guarantee that if you build an alumicraft you will look back and be glad you did. 

7V1A2764.jpg

just curious.  Did alumicraft give you a lead time to get a car?  asking for a friend... :))

Waiting for the ultimate showdown of all showdowns. 

Alumicraft v Funco. In the sand !

Not sure who could do that. 

I'd be willing to donate my time and unbiased opinion 

Waiting for the ultimate showdown of all showdowns. 

Alumicraft v Funco. In the sand !

Not sure who could do that. 

I'd be willing to donate my time and unbiased opinion 
Might be a good topic for a Bench Racing thread. Interested in what the criteria would be for the showdown to determine the winner. 

So as luck would have it, I’m  in San Diego currently on business and much to my surprise and delight, our Board meeting finished way earlier than expected. Rather than get on an earlier flight I called Alumicraft to see if they had time for a shop visit and to discuss a possible build. They said absolutely, come on over. So I grabbed a rental car and went to see them. WOW! What impressive cars they build. I got to see a just completed Sportsman 2 model that is unbelievable. Saw it, touched it and sat in it. Whoever’s car this is, not to worry though I wore white gloves and put a plastic sheet under my azz so nothing actually touched your car 😀😀

I also saw several other cars in various stages of build. The quality of everything they do and build so actually bit overwhelming. Matt spent about 1.5 hrs with me. No hard pressure sale approach, didn’t make me feel stupid for some of my lame questions. Just a great guy who is proud of what he does and lets his cars sell themselves. 

I also really like their singular package pricing. Basically everything comes standard on the car with a price excluding engine and trans. You choose your engine and trans builder and work direct with them but obviously with close interface with Matt. The only real options are if you want things that are non-typical like an electric actuated hood or other similar custom things. And the package is impressive. Jet Trim seats, Pro Am hubs and brakes, billet boxed a-arms and trailing arms that are huge, mil spec wiring, the list goes on and on. And their new carbon fiber body panels are very nice. The only concern I have is they do not offer doors with standard carbon fiber panels so I would have to use the fiberglass panels and the doors are a pretty pricey option. 

And like many of you here, Matt suggested a mid-engine is not necessary and perhaps less desirable based on the design and balance of the car. So yes people, I am actually listening 😀😀.

So next order of business is to do a similar visit and perhaps a demo with Funco. From there it will be final decision time. 
Were you dizzy when you walked out of the shop ? I know I always am LOL. Sensory overload for sure.

Nothing wrong with either a Funco or Alumicraft, the customer support after the purchase is top notch.

A little story, years ago on a Friday afternoon in the dunes I broke an axle.  I called Grant from the dunes and told him, he had a new Axle to me 6 hours later, that same night.  I never missed a ride.  Mind you, I have never bought a new car from Funco, always used (cheap arse).  The Customer Support is amazing, and they are truly a Family run business and proud to consider them friends as well.

I know for sure Alumicraft is an amazing product as well.  I would also look at SCU, their cars handle really well in all conditions.

Fun topic for sure

Nothing wrong with either a Funco or Alumicraft, the customer support after the purchase is top notch.

A little story, years ago on a Friday afternoon in the dunes I broke an axle.  I called Grant from the dunes and told him, he had a new Axle to me 6 hours later, that same night.  I never missed a ride.  Mind you, I have never bought a new car from Funco, always used (cheap arse).  The Customer Support is amazing, and they are truly a Family run business and proud to consider them friends as well.

I know for sure Alumicraft is an amazing product as well.  I would also look at SCU, their cars handle really well in all conditions.

Fun topic for sure

I prefer used as well. That's why I've posted several places to see if any AC out there coming up for sale. Quite a few Funco's out there too.

Fortunately I'm not in a hurry so I have time to keep getting input, researching, looking and then will decide. I don't see the market going up much any time soon, actually seems like prices may be coming down although not as much on the higher end cars. Will be interesting to see what happens after Pres. weekend and toward the end of the season. Especially now that the Fed didn't lower rates and is signaling they may hold longer, folks might start getting a little more pressed for $$. I know boats and RV prices seem to be dropping. A little harder to follow sand cars but we'll see. 

Follow up with the # I gave you and talk to Chris. Used 2 seat Alumi Crafts don't come up for sale very often. That is my old car and if time wasn't a factor it would eventually be back in my garage. I didn't want to miss out on this season and ended up buying the 2 seat SCU. 

Follow up with the # I gave you and talk to Chris. Used 2 seat Alumi Crafts don't come up for sale very often. That is my old car and if time wasn't a factor it would eventually be back in my garage. I didn't want to miss out on this season and ended up buying the 2 seat SCU. 
Thanks! I reached out to him at the number you provided this morning. Haven’t heard back yet.

Might be a good topic for a Bench Racing thread. Interested in what the criteria would be for the showdown to determine the winner. 
That is pretty much the same as asking a future car buyer how they dune or " how much you want to spend ". Etc. It all boils down to each individual. We all have our opinions. 

dunesteve said:
Can't recall the original poster ever having or stating a  budget or anything personal as far as his previous duning experience or cars. Hmmm ?. At least not from Glamis or Idaho. ( the only dunes that matter ). Lol

Imo !
He's an Oregon guy so Winchester, Coos Bay, Florence, etc.  The dunes there are different. Tighter, smaller (than idaho), finer sand; but tough and not that flowing IMO.  Coos bay flows more than winchester (SxS terrain only IMO).  BTW; it he is potentially shopping for a new AC or funco; his budget is not the issue.........

dunesteve said:
Can't recall the original poster ever having or stating a  budget or anything personal as far as his previous duning experience or cars. Hmmm ?. At least not from Glamis or Idaho. ( the only dunes that matter ). Lol

Imo !
OP can speak for himself, but in this very thread, he mentioned living in Oregon and wants to head to Glamis a few time a year.  Oh, and he just sold a really nice BFD Revo  with an LS3, so there is that . . .

He's an Oregon guy so Winchester, Coos Bay, Florence, etc.  The dunes there are different. Tighter, smaller (than idaho), finer sand; but tough and not that flowing IMO.  Coos bay flows more than winchester (SxS terrain only IMO).  BTW; it he is potentially shopping for a new AC or funco; his budget is not the issue.........
Correct, budget is not the issue. However, I work my azz off for my money so I’m not just going to throw down a pile of dough on a new car without researching first and trying to make a correct decision. And if I can find a nice used car that fits the bill and saves enough vs. new then that would be fantastic. 

Oregon dunes are certainly not Glamis and your description is spot on. But as mentioned, I’m trying to find an all around car that will be fun in Oregon, G and maybe even an occasional St Anonthy trip. 

dunesteve said:
Ok now we're kinda talking. Lol. Just not the OP. That's a good start !. Money is no option !. Car builders  love that. A Used car is a whole different  ballgame. Receipts ! , Nothing else matters. Wtf. Sorry just messing with you. Good luck with your endeavor. 
Yes, the OP has been here and talking all along. All was covered earlier in the thread . It’s a good read, I highly recommend it  :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:

Reactions: FOG
Correct, budget is not the issue. However, I work my azz off for my money so I’m not just going to throw down a pile of dough on a new car without researching first and trying to make a correct decision. And if I can find a nice used car that fits the bill and saves enough vs. new then that would be fantastic. 

Oregon dunes are certainly not Glamis and your description is spot on. But as mentioned, I’m trying to find an all around car that will be fun in Oregon, G and maybe even an occasional St Anonthy trip. 
I know there is no substitute for a sandrail; but I had more fun at winchester in my YXZ1000 (that includes kissing a tree coming down banshee) than any other car I've owned and driven at Winchester or Coos Bay (not a Glamis guy yet as the wife says the drive is too far, but we love oregon, sand mtn (1 hour away) and St. anthony's.........The YXZ has sooo much potential; cannot believe yamaha hasn't made it THE BEST duning SxS out there by changing a few things......

The trails in the sea grass and trees at Winchester are F'n epic at night (less chance of a head on).........I've been trying to buy a lot at Wildwood dunes since 2019.........

obviously st. anthony's was better in the funco g52......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back