For Next Sand Car - School Me

I believe @Grant@Funco offered to meet you in the dunes and give you a ride/rundown on the cars.  That is your best bet, TBH.  I spoke to Grant before about narrow vs. wide cars, but I'll let him speak to it than go from my recollection or opinion. 

Yes he did. I currently only have one day I can be there which is a Wednesday 9/21. I'm going to send him a note to see if by chance he will be there and if he is not too busy preparing for the Regatta. 

Sounds like you won't go wrong either way.  I built my Gen 4 in 2005 and it is the best single piece of equipment I have ever owned. Went to two Regattas and took some rides before ordering a bare roller. Built my whole car myself and have changed it many times over the years. My big erector set to play with.  Fun thread. 

I know that SU is still building new as of last month.  The guy that bought my SU sand pro 2 mid is having a new mid engine car built by them.

I know that SU is still building new as of last month.  The guy that bought my SU sand pro 2 mid is having a new mid engine car built by them.
Sent them an inquiry a week ago. No reply as of yet. I guess they have enough customers and business and don’t need my money.  :classic_wacko:

Yes he did. I currently only have one day I can be there which is a Wednesday 9/21. I'm going to send him a note to see if by chance he will be there and if he is not too busy preparing for the Regatta. 
Dam your life is planned out way in advance 

How about Racer or Tatum? Any feedback on either of these? Good duners or just for drags and bling? I recently came across ads for one of each that looked interesting. 

Sent them an inquiry a week ago. No reply as of yet. I guess they have enough customers and business and don’t need my money.  :classic_wacko:
That could be the case.  They are a small shop.

How about Racer or Tatum? Any feedback on either of these? Good duners or just for drags and bling? I recently came across ads for one of each that looked interesting. 
Tatum finalized the purchase of the Racer sand car division.  If you’re looking for a new build. 

IMG_7888.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dam your life is planned out way in advance 
LOL! Nah, I have a business trip scheduled down that way and I had a light schedule the day before so just added a day and will drive out to G. Fortunately several folks will be there mid-week since it is between Pres weekend and the Funco Regatta. And an added bonus that I get to meet Grant and get his input and demo. 

LOL! Nah, I have a business trip scheduled down that way and I had a light schedule the day before so just added a day and will drive out to G. Fortunately several folks will be there mid-week since it is between Pres weekend and the Funco Regatta. And an added bonus that I get to meet Grant and get his input and demo. 
He's bustin your balls. The date you posted your planned business trip and 1 free day is 9/21 which is 7 months away.  

He's bustin your balls. The date you posted your planned business trip and 1 free day is 9/21 which is 7 months away.  
Well I deserve that then. Should read 2/21. I can’t even claim that as a fat finger typo given how far away the 9 is from the 2 on the keyboard. Just another brain fart I guess. 

Well I deserve that then. Should read 2/21. I can’t even claim that as a fat finger typo given how far away the 9 is from the 2 on the keyboard. Just another brain fart I guess. 
check out sandcarsunlimited's post on ig today.  His 5 axis CNC putting out billet front spindles.  Only mentioning because it is exciting to see a small business owner dedicated to improving the sport and putting out exceptional products.  Never owned an SCU (yet); but many people say the handling (duning, carving, whoops, etc.) is razor sharp......

Waiting for the ultimate showdown of all showdowns. 

Alumicraft v Funco. In the sand !

Not sure who could do that. 

I'd be willing to donate my time and unbiased opinion 
Been wanting to do this for a while, its in the works. trying to include more then 2 names though

I’ve had an incredibly productive couple of days looking at cars. Looking, touching, sitting in and a demo ride. My biggest take away thus far is that no cars are made for people my size. I’m 6’5” and just don’t fit . The good news is several builders will make a car to fit me and it’s looking like I will need to build new. Yes, I can buy an existing car and get it modified but what I’m finding for a decent condition, later model car I would be fairly close to the cost of new after purchase and modifications. Here’s a fun fact for you; how many are aware that a 2 seat Funco has substantially less driver head room than a 4 seat? I was lead to believe the opposite was true but in fact, the roofline is 3.5” taller than the 2 seat. I could not sit full upright in a two seater. My head hits the headliner and I’m crouched. In a 4 seater I have maybe 2” above my head. Neither one has enough legroom but that’s more easily fixed. So a two seat Funco is a no-go. I also could not fit in a SU. 

I had a second visit with Alumicraft and continued to be impressed with their quality and components. Grant from Funco was gratuitous with his time and I got a nearly two hour lesson on everything Funco and their process. He took me for a nice demo ride as well. Dude can drive!!! Car was impressive as well. I also had about an hour call with Justin from SCU and considering his SR2. I have one more scheduled visit tomorrow. 

I’m about 90%+ certain I know which way I’m going but I want to finish all my homework before I make a final decision. I suspect I’ll make the decision within the next few days. 

Forgot to mention I also got had the privilege of finally meeting @URCLEVER in person and seeing his fleet of dune toys 😀

I’ve had an incredibly productive couple of days looking at cars. Looking, touching, sitting in and a demo ride. My biggest take away thus far is that no cars are made for people my size. I’m 6’5” and just don’t fit . The good news is several builders will make a car to fit me and it’s looking like I will need to build new. Yes, I can buy an existing car and get it modified but what I’m finding for a decent condition, later model car I would be fairly close to the cost of new after purchase and modifications. Here’s a fun fact for you; how many are aware that a 2 seat Funco has substantially less driver head room than a 4 seat? I was lead to believe the opposite was true but in fact, the roofline is 3.5” taller than the 2 seat. I could not sit full upright in a two seater. My head hits the headliner and I’m crouched. In a 4 seater I have maybe 2” above my head. Neither one has enough legroom but that’s more easily fixed. So a two seat Funco is a no-go. I also could not fit in a SU. 

I had a second visit wiIth Alumicraft and continued to be impressed with their quality and components. Grant from Funco was gratuitous with his time and I got a nearly two hour lesson on everything Funco and their process. He took me for a nice demo ride as well. Dude can drive!!! Car was impressive as well. I also had about an hour call with Justin from SCU and considering his SR2. I have one more scheduled visit tomorrow. 

I’m about 90%+ certain I know which way I’m going but I want to finish all my homework before I make a final decision. I suspect I’ll make the decision within the next few days. 
I believe the Funco @tjZ06 has was built with extra height in the seating area originally.  Did Grant say they wouldn't do it again?

I believe the Funco @tjZ06 has was built with extra height in the seating area originally.  Did Grant say they wouldn't do it again?
The one I just sold was built with a taller roofline, yes, but Grant actually did a lot more G52s like that.  It always looked goofy to me and even at 6' I had a mile above my helmet so I had the roofline lowered.  The guy that bought the car is something like 6'2" and still has room with the helmet, *and* I have the seat itself positioned pretty high (I am a driver, I want visibility not cholo-lean).  

As for your "fun fact" @Dockmaster that's not really true.  Don't judge by just one car.  My car as I sold it would have fit you great (at 6' I had the seat slid forward a few clicks, and as already mentioned I had rails that raised it a bit too).  My car as I got it would have given you half a foot of headroom.  If you want to rule Funcos out because you just want to, that's fine... but you're not getting complete info..

My (ex) car as I got it:

^again good views of headroom

-TJ

@tjZ06 maybe @Dockmaster is built like Mr. Incredible: all torso. :biggrin:

Mr._Incredible.png

Back