For Next Sand Car - School Me

@tjZ06  I absolutely agree.  I also feel that being farther forward helps me feel when the car starts to rotate.  I went from a Funco to a Monster Manx (it was a bucket list item I needed to check off) so I went from amazing visibility to poor visibility; but the MM does some other stuff that I like/needed (desert car).  Sorry if I'm OT.

Back on topic: didn't someone build an SU or SU knock-off (yellow with big single turbo LS) recently that was mid-engine?  Also does Tech3 still build mid-engine cars?  At SSSS 2019; I thought he or someone was displaying a small car (LS power) that looked like a tech3.

There's a video on youtube of a guy duning (idk if it is sand mtn. or St. Anthony's) in a blue tech3 (mid-engine, honda j35 power).  Even in the video I was shocked how well that thing turned and duned.......
The white single turbo car you speak of that sold last year was a new build, built by the original owner of SU.

The white one with red interior? No, I would have to wrap that white and change the interior.  Can you imagine that car after a wet day in our dunes? Or after a romp down the salty beach sand? 

The S&S cars appear to be well built. I’m not sure about that rounded rear panel look they are consistent with though. Looks a little funky for my taste. 
Yes Sir

I couldn’t do the white either no matter where you dune at, just wouldn’t stay clean IMO. I think they build a good car use to dune with a guy that has one, it’s a good car.                                                      You probably need to just pick a reputable builder and order exactly what you are looking for then there is no compromise.                                                       Carry on my friend 

GR

I’m also looking for a mid engine sand car. However, I think I’m going to go the opposite direction that you’re going and tone things down a bit. Safety and reliability will still be paramount but my other priorities will be reduced. 
I say this because there are many ways to enjoy a sand car in the dunes and I think that you should take the direction that you think you will enjoy the most.
That direction may not always be the most popular at the time. 

I’m also looking for a mid engine sand car. However, I think I’m going to go the opposite direction that you’re going and tone things down a bit. Safety and reliability will still be paramount but my other priorities will be reduced. 
I say this because there are many ways to enjoy a sand car in the dunes and I think that you should take the direction that you think you will enjoy the most.
That direction may not always be the most popular at the time. 
Great perspective. Everyone has their own situation, wants, desires and ability. It can be hard to recognize and execute on a downsize plan but good on you for planning to do so. We did this with our last house purchase and it has served us well. 
I’m foolishly hoping my next sand car will be my last purchase and that it will keep me satisfied through my golden years  :classic_blink:

Yes but you are also trying to sell it. I mean, not that you would be trying to talk me into buying it or anything 🤑🤑
I assumed you're not actually in the market for mine.  I'm not selling mine because it's not the absolute best car I've ever owned or duned - it absolutely is. 

I was actually talking about this with a prospective buyer, because naturally they asked the same question "if it's so great, why are you selling?"  I'll tell you what I told them: if I was building one from the ground up tomorrow there's very, very little I'd change.  Maaaaybe I'd go dry sump, not because I've had a single issue with oiling... more "just because."  But I had a dry sump in my SCU (and in my C5Z06 race car before that) and in the sand car it was nothing but issues.  And that's about it...

2 seat true Funco build with top notch wiring/Motec, a big-cube true LS7 with a big Whipple, an Albins, all the billet whatnot, nice interior, bitchen but subtle paint job, no windshield and set-back roof.  All of that is exactly how I'd do it again.  I wouldn't even go with the "wide" car and 3.5" shocks because I much prefer being able to drive it in a legal trailer on the sand tire setup.  

Without going way too far down the rabbit hole (okay, I know too late for that...) if you look at some of my posts in other threads I'm getting ready to make a big job/career change in the next ~6-12mo.  I'm honestly not even sure exactly what is next, but I know I need a change.  I've been with my company 15.5 years, and I've been in my specific position (though grew a team underneath me) for about 7 years.  I actually tried to resign early this month, but the COO called me and convinced me to stay at least through June.  I'm not saying selling the car (or not) changes my decision at all, because it doesn't.

I look at it like this... if I stay here for a few more years it'll mean very little time to use the car, which is the current issue.  If I leave I'm going to prob take a year off before I do something else, so sure that might sound like an epic time to use the heck out of the car, but that's not how I see myself spending the time.  I want to travel a lot, maybe do semi-full time split between my RV and my Brovlerand setup, or maybe some international travel, IDK.  Besides, if I'm just another unemployed schlub having a ~200k sand car and duning it 90-120 days in a season probably isn't the wisest move. ;) :p 

So anyway, back on topic... go for a ride in a *good* Funco with a *good* driver before you take the plunge one way or the other.  @Grant@Funco has been known to change a few minds (mine included)...

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
One quality that Funco's offer, they are very predictable to drive.  Take a mediocre driver and they become an advanced driver.  I have an old Gen 4 with turbo Honda, nothing you are looking for, but the geometry between the Gen 4 and all the future models haven't changed much.

FYI, I am on my 3rd Funco, once a Funco owner, it is hard to go to another brand.  

One quality that Funco's offer, they are very predictable to drive.  Take a mediocre driver and they become an advanced driver.  I have an old Gen 4 with turbo Honda, nothing you are looking for, but the geometry between the Gen 4 and all the future models haven't changed much.

FYI, I am on my 3rd Funco, once a Funco owner, it is hard to go to another brand.  
So if I'm a mediocre driver and I buy a Funco I automatically change to a dune wizard / god ?.

Lol. 

I've known plenty of peeps that rode with me or others and bought cars and expected to just get it in the sand. It doesn't happen that way.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:40 PM, Dockmaster said:

I really want to find a reason to go to Funco. I love the way they look, the quality reputation, etc. But I don’t know if I’m buying the whole, “you have to make it wheelie argument” . Every video I see out there is like this one. Every time you see him hit the throttle the front end comes up:

Hello sir 

All a guy could ask for is opportunity to “give you a reason”and help you make a good decision. If you’re looking for a late model car new build , there are a quite few quality builders to choose from if I’m being honest. 

That said I would also advise a guy spending that kind of money to budget some time to get some demo/seat time in whatever you narrow down after some due diligence and quotes.  

FWIW wheelies scare the chit out of me 🫣🫣

Never owned a buckshot, but S&S is a good builder. Not that active on social media so doesn't get the hype/attention he deserves IMO. Some of his cars are spectacular.
Have you ever actually duned an S&S?  Or put a tape measure on one to see if it’s square.  

They look great from afar but I have measured trailing arms on 3 cars and they are all different lengths.  An ok builder at best, not a bad guy but I don’t agree with a lot of his opinions when it comes to building a car.  

That said I would also advise a guy spending that kind of money to budget some time to get some demo/seat time in whatever you narrow down after some due diligence and quotes.  

Excellent advice - thank you!. I need to find some time to make a trip down there (I’m in Oregon). Maybe my friend @URCLEVER will offer me a ride in his beautiful Funco. 

Damn, looks like you need to stick with a  SxS. Even the bad ass SU mid engine is a wheelie machine.  :cheff: Screenshot_20240129_123609_Facebook.jpg

Excellent advice - thank you!. I need to find some time to make a trip down there (I’m in Oregon). Maybe my friend @URCLEVER will offer me a ride in his beautiful Funco. 
What im suggesting is to connect directly with the BUILDER  for a demo. CUSTOMER feedback for real world experience on the build process , real world driving experience and importantly after sale support. 

Have you ever actually duned an S&S?  Or put a tape measure on one to see if it’s square.  

They look great from afar but I have measured trailing arms on 3 cars and they are all different lengths.  An ok builder at best, not a bad guy but I don’t agree with a lot of his opinions when it comes to building a car.  
yes I have owned and duned a S&S.  I was speaking of chassis layout, bracing, weld quality, fit and finish, etc.  Mine was a 2006.  Never had any issues with the car related to the chassis.  I never expected that car to dune like my Funco G52.

C'mon down buddy! this is a great topic. Lots of great advice here. Obviously, I am a fan of Funco. I built my dream car 2 years ago with @Grant@Funco I am in a position to buy or build another car. The best part of driving a Funco is the duning and driving ability. But the best thing about Funco is the family are all duners, the funco owners are great people who help out in a time of need, the customer support is phenomenal. 

I have owned an older S&S and it was cool, but I broke it in a day. I owned your old Revo and broke that too.  @Hondajimz has a 2 seat SCU that gets it, but he wants that slide effect, I have always liked the idea of a racer, but I am not a drags type of guy. Alumicraft builds a bad ass machine. I think IMO my list for duning car is 1. Funco, 2. Alumicraft, 3. SCU, 4. Racer but I have yet to ride in a Racer and my mind could be changed.

Also if you are sticking to Oregon dunes you need a nimble small car to slide around. 

What im suggesting is to connect directly with the BUILDER  for a demo. CUSTOMER feedback for real world experience on the build process , real world driving experience and importantly after sale support. 
Thank you for the clarification. I will reach out to schedule something with you at a convenient time. I’m not in a huge hurry so I’m guessing something toward the late season or even after is preferable.

So as luck would have it, I’m  in San Diego currently on business and much to my surprise and delight, our Board meeting finished way earlier than expected. Rather than get on an earlier flight I called Alumicraft to see if they had time for a shop visit and to discuss a possible build. They said absolutely, come on over. So I grabbed a rental car and went to see them. WOW! What impressive cars they build. I got to see a just completed Sportsman 2 model that is unbelievable. Saw it, touched it and sat in it. Whoever’s car this is, not to worry though I wore white gloves and put a plastic sheet under my azz so nothing actually touched your car 😀😀

I also saw several other cars in various stages of build. The quality of everything they do and build so actually bit overwhelming. Matt spent about 1.5 hrs with me. No hard pressure sale approach, didn’t make me feel stupid for some of my lame questions. Just a great guy who is proud of what he does and lets his cars sell themselves. 

I also really like their singular package pricing. Basically everything comes standard on the car with a price excluding engine and trans. You choose your engine and trans builder and work direct with them but obviously with close interface with Matt. The only real options are if you want things that are non-typical like an electric actuated hood or other similar custom things. And the package is impressive. Jet Trim seats, Pro Am hubs and brakes, billet boxed a-arms and trailing arms that are huge, mil spec wiring, the list goes on and on. And their new carbon fiber body panels are very nice. The only concern I have is they do not offer doors with standard carbon fiber panels so I would have to use the fiberglass panels and the doors are a pretty pricey option. 

And like many of you here, Matt suggested a mid-engine is not necessary and perhaps less desirable based on the design and balance of the car. So yes people, I am actually listening 😀😀.

So next order of business is to do a similar visit and perhaps a demo with Funco. From there it will be final decision time. 

Damn, looks like you need to stick with a  SxS. Even the bad ass SU mid engine is a wheelie machine.  :cheff:
Pretty strong words from a Raider Fan!  :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:  And I already have a SxS but it’s for my young adult kids to drive. 

Seriously though, I am listening. I may be slow, but I promise I’m listening and learning. I very much appreciate all the great input and feedback I’ve received. 

You would definitely not be disappointed with an Alumi Craft. Hands down my all time favorite. I was looking to add doors to my SCU but was soon talked out of it by the owner of SCU. It is an expensive upgrade. I would rather climb over than deal with rattles, etc. He convinced me it's not worth it. 

Back