For Next Sand Car - School Me

I think the biggest thing is making a list before you shop of all your must haves, would like to have and dont care for. Then go from there.
I totally agree. I’ve certainly been known to make impulse buys so won’t go down that road.  That’s why I’m starting from the first big question I have which is not about builder or model. Do I go mid engine or rear engine? 

From there my list get easier: must have doors or capable to have them, windshield, 2 seater, 700 (ish) hp on pump gas , prefer SC vs turbo, LS based, higher end reliable builder with readily available parts and/or service. Motec or Holley dash/ecu, top notch wiring and outfitting. Mid boards, hollows , S4 or better sequential (S4D preferred). The list goes on but I’m sure you get the picture. I don’t care about things like big stereos, disco lights or super hero themed paint jobs. 

McDowell here in San Diego, has a new-ish 2 seat Alumicraft that is amazing.  IIRC he said it is his favorite car he has owned. 
If I build new my current thoughts are Alumicraft will be my first inquiry. I would prefer not to build but I don’t see too many that come up that check enough of my boxes. And I’m not interested in bribing someone with a 20% or more over market price to get them to sell. 

If I build new my current thoughts are Alumicraft will be my first inquiry. I would prefer not to build but I don’t see too many that come up that check enough of my boxes. And I’m not interested in bribing someone with a 20% or more over market price to get them to sell. 
In my opinion you can't go wrong with Alumicraft  :classic_biggrin:  get on the list it will be a while.

Alumicraft.jpg

didn’t I read something about them changing ownership recently? I wonder if quality will remain with new owner?
Well they seem to be doing some pretty innovative stuff now.  They are doing a sand car now with a full billet LS block and heads and their new vacuum formed carbon fiber body supposedly only weights 28 pounds.  Their stuff on IG makes me drool.....

Reactions: FOG
didn’t I read something about them changing ownership recently? I wonder if quality will remain with new owner?
Matt Major is the new owner and we have been transporting all his new builds to Redline and Mike's Tint Shop for clear bra. They generally have 10 cars in various states of build process. Really nice cars!

Reactions: FOG
As stated above make a list of must-have stuff. Won't be easy to find but there's always a chance. Or bit the bullet and build new and get exactly what you want.

I totally agree. I’ve certainly been known to make impulse buys so won’t go down that road.  That’s why I’m starting from the first big question I have which is not about builder or model. Do I go mid engine or rear engine? 

From there my list get easier: must have doors or capable to have them, windshield, 2 seater, 700 (ish) hp on pump gas , prefer SC vs turbo, LS based, higher end reliable builder with readily available parts and/or service. Motec or Holley dash/ecu, top notch wiring and outfitting. Mid boards, hollows , S4 or better sequential (S4D preferred). The list goes on but I’m sure you get the picture. I don’t care about things like big stereos, disco lights or super hero themed paint jobs. 
Sounds like you just need to buy mine and slap a windshield on it. 

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Alumicraft  :classic_biggrin:  get on the list it will be a while.

View attachment 93947
Always loved that car and the unconventional color choices.  Duned with it many times (a few owners ago). 

-TJ

In my limited time duning with both mid engines and rear it all boils down to this,

Mids dune like slot cars but don't jump worth a crap.

Rear engine cars jump awesome but don't dune as good as a mid.

It's all ones preference and how you dune. Are you a hill or drag duner or a 8 miles south of RR duner ?.

In my limited time duning with both mid engines and rear it all boils down to this,

It's all ones preference and how you dune. Are you a hill or drag duner or a 8 miles south of RR duner ?.
That’s what my assumptions are so thanks for sharing your experience. No, I’m not a jumper (not on purpose anyway) no wheelies, and no drags.  I like to dune and occasionally blast up some hills. We don’t have any real big hills at Oregon dunes though. But hoping to do G a few times a year when I retire in a few years. 

Have you duned a Funco?  Not trying to be a fanboi (and I was once quoted as saying "I'm not a Funco guy") but they sort of defy or maybe define what a rear-engine sand car can do and how it dunes.  

-TJ

Have you duned a Funco?  Not trying to be a fanboi (and I was once quoted as saying "I'm not a Funco guy") but they sort of defy or maybe define what a rear-engine sand car can do and how it dunes.  

-TJ
No. But had the pleasure of duning with quite a few in the past. My DD was just fine in the day. As a matter of fact was better. 

Fast forward to the new $300k dumb money... Lol. Rut roe.

It's really just the rear tire profile and how nice the Funco can slide and when to hit the turn brake and of course a competent driver.

I love a good mid engine sand car. My last sand car was an SU Sand Pro 2 with an LS and sequential. That car would do it all, even a good jumper regardless of what other people say. 
I read your wish list and I think you nailed it. Good luck. 

I love a good mid engine sand car. My last sand car was an SU Sand Pro 2 with an LS and sequential. That car would do it all, even a good jumper regardless of what other people say. 
I read your wish list and I think you nailed it. Good luck. 
Mids do not jump like rears. Just a fact of f to r weight. Nothing like the ease of a rear engine and a blep of the throttle to air it and have a smooth landing. Mids.. not 

Mids do not jump like rears. Just a fact of f to r weight. Nothing like the ease of a rear engine and a blep of the throttle to air it and have a smooth landing. Mids.. not 
I don't have that problem like a few have mentioned about mids...but my car is older and a lot lighter than the newer cars.  No issues jumping...nothing crazy in this video, but anytime i see a slight lip. blip the throttle, and it's perfect. Depends on the car.

Back