BBQ Smoking Thread

@Kevin and @CampfiresNbrews thank you both for the suggestions. The ones I did yesterday in some areas pulled easy from the bone but on the thicker parts tended to not pull away easily. I think they were not done based on reading what you guys wrote. Going to try the methods mentioned above next weekend.
im putting 3 racks of ribs on the pit later today, i [pull the mebranes off the back, and trim some of the fat off. when i wrap ribs i put them meat side down in the foil on a pile of brown sugar and my sauce i make. alot of guys put butter, fruit juices, etc in the wrap which i have done as well, but my current recipe i roll with i just use my sauce with additional brown sugar. the wrap really makes em teder and keeps em juicy, and you can finish em off with normal sauce over some coal on a grill to carmalize sauce or however you like them.  thats the beauty of bbq, you can do them however you like..

Hoping to have our own BBQ soon. It will be the only cooking devise for a while. Until then, The oven has been our choice for steaks.

Last night I cooked up a nice set of Ribeyes. Did the pan sear with butter, then in the oven for 10 min. We like our steaks med well.  Took them out to rest covered as always.  Color and temp was great.  Plated and cut into them and dam they were leather. Like I killed a cheap sirloin.  Not sure WTF happened.  Sorry no photos. They sure looked great both before and after.  What did I do wrong or is it just bad luck on a few ribeyes?

I agree with @Kevin fall off other bone is overdone. Want to see a little/slight tug when I bite into the rib. My method is also similar to his. Around 225-250* depending how thick the ribs are. Smoke them for 3hrs then wrap for 45-1hr. Take them out the wrap and glaze for 30 minutes. Perfect every time. I sometimes probe for temp and it’s about 200-205*
Real similar to the popular 3-2-1 method. This is done at 225. Smother with rub of your choice then place in smoker for 3 hours, then cover in foil for 2 hours, unwrap and smother in sauce and place back in smoker for 1 hour. 

@i8sand yeah I’ve tried that method a few times but they just come out waaay to soft for me and my families liking. That’s why I prefer the 3-1-30min or less method.  Less time in the foil wrap. And like @Kevin said foil them up meat side down in butter and your choice of seasoning or sauce. 

BUT if you want fall off the bone then yes the 3-2-1 method will work. 

@Grease Monkey I’ve gotten rib eyes steaks from Stater brothers when they were on sale and they were just terrible. I cooked them perfectly but just to tough. Also if you cover the steaks to tightly they will continue to cook. We always tent  them lightly. We also always dry brine them with kosher salt for at least an hour maybe more and that helps make them even more tender and tasty. 

@Grease Monkey beef grading.. prime, select, choice. there is a range in each category. if the ribeyes were choice grade they coulda been just barely good enough to that grade meaning they are really more the lower select quality. i try to buy choice steaks that are at the top of the chart. if you look thru you can usually find steaks that just missed the mark for being prime.

before cooking let that sucker sit on the counter for some time and get to room temp. it will cook easier and quicker than being cooked straight form the refer and is usually more tender.  i season with salt pepper garlic about an hour before i cook them regardless of cooking method.

@i8sand yeah I’ve tried that method a few times but they just come out waaay to soft for me and my families liking. That’s why I prefer the 3-1-30min or less method.  Less time in the foil wrap. And like @Kevin said foil them up meat side down in butter and your choice of seasoning or sauce. 

BUT if you want fall off the bone then yes the 3-2-1 method will work. 
I have only tried this with Pork Spare Ribs a few times and both times they came out good but not as moist as I would prefer. I used some apple cider the second time around and I did not notice a difference. What is the secret to "Tender and Juicy"? 

I have only smoked cheap meats to this point like Pork Shoulder, Pork ribs, Beef Chuck Roast, Brats, and some home made Mac And Cheese. Too scared to get some brisket or rib eyes as I don't want to ruin them. I am using an electric Masterbuilt smoker. Still learning my cuts of meat as this point.

@i8sand Not sure what’s going on. I usually get the spare ribs and trim them down to Saint Louis style. Spritz with apple cider every hour then into the foil wrap at the 3 hr mark. Butter them up and add some apple cider or my own sauce to the foil and wrap for 45 min -1hr. Comes out perfect every time. Maybe the quality of meats you’ve been getting has something to do with it? Could try adding a pan with water?   @Kevin might be able to help you better. 

wrapping them really makes them moist and tender. spritzing every so often helps some, but it does add more time to the cook as hte cooker gets opened to spritz heat is lost. . its also important to let them rest after cooking. pulled pork i let rest min an hour before i shred the meat up. for some really good tips check out Harry Su's (slap yo daddy bbq) youtube channel.

By no means an I a smoked meat expert...

But, with regards to a ribs doneness, wouldn't that be a personal preference?  Fall off the bone vs a slight tug.  Competition judging not withstanding..

How is that different than having a porter house medium rare vs well done?  

BTW...I like my meat on the rare side.

But, with regards to a ribs doneness, wouldn't that be a personal preference?  Fall off the bone vs a slight tug.  Competition judging not withstanding..

A porterhouse is $$$ and should never be cooked more than medium. It just ruins it. Might as well put A1 on it. Why spend the $$.   Ribs are cheap and only taste good with rub and sauce.  

Similarly one doesn’t usually take shots with high end tequilas 

Absolutely! Most people think (or have been told/taught) that if its not falling off the bone then its not good or done. Personal preference, I dont want to take a bite and have all the meat fall off and smack me on my beard. I spend a lot of time to make my beard look like a rats nest and having bbq sauce all over it is not part of the plan.

For the record, I like a little tug on my meat :lol:  

Back