BBQ Smoking Thread

What brand of incinerator do you use?

I think that's called "cremation."    :lol:
Precisely .... It's impossible to make "good" meatloaf.  The only cooking option IS cremation.

Was this a question?  Smoked at 250* (not 2500) for about 3 hours until 165 or so, internal temp.  Lost track as we were pretty drunk.  Done this 4-5 times now. Fantastic.  Half have been cheese stuffed.  

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of us that haven’t gotten into this method yet, what machine is recommended? I want something fairly simple to operate that doesn’t take a lot of continual tending and watching. Our CEO recently bought a Traeger to keep at work. Once a week he loads it up with different stuff. He does chicken, ribs, fish, potatoes, veggies, etc. Puts on a lunch feed and it’s very good. The Traeger seems to work good and is simple. Has the Bluetooth so he monitors from the office while it’s cooking. I was thinking to get one of these. Anything I should know before buying? 
The pellet grill is a pretty easy grill to use that doesn’t require a lot of tending or attention. With the phone apps and temp probes, you don’t even need to go outside to cook a piece of meat. 
I have a Green Mountain Grill which is similar to a Traeger. I have the Daniel Boone (has had a name change when they became PC), which is the medium size one. It does great for my family of 6. I’ve had it 3 years now without a single issue. My dad has an older Traeger that has run flawless as well. I have heard newer Traegers having some issues with igniters and control boards but I can’t speak from experience. So far happy with my GMG. 

Anyone have experience with a MAK? They are built less than an hour from where I live. Everything I read about them says they are fantastic, albeit a bit more expensive. 

Anyone have experience with a MAK? They are built less than an hour from where I live. Everything I read about them says they are fantastic, albeit a bit more expensive. 
I never used one but they sponsored the bbq competition i competed in for 4 years at santa Anita. I would consider them if I was after a pellet smoker. Just off the top of me head the pellet smokers I would go with if I was buying one are 

yoder

blaz n grill works

mak

rectec

There’s a couple

others but I can recall them

For those of us that haven’t gotten into this method yet, what machine is recommended? I want something fairly simple to operate that doesn’t take a lot of continual tending and watching. Our CEO recently bought a Traeger to keep at work. Once a week he loads it up with different stuff. He does chicken, ribs, fish, potatoes, veggies, etc. Puts on a lunch feed and it’s very good. The Traeger seems to work good and is simple. Has the Bluetooth so he monitors from the office while it’s cooking. I was thinking to get one of these. Anything I should know before buying? 
I have an older traeger pellet smoker and had to switch out the controller to a smoke daddy pellet pro. Holds temps perfectly now. Only problem with it is that it doesn’t give me that Smokey flavor I’m after. I believe that’s the case with all pellet smokers?? 

So I now have a Char Griller 980 gravity fed charcoal/wood smoker and the difference is through the roof!! Way better flavor and still easy to use. 

Just picked up this GMG last weekend.  

gmg.jpg

Have these pork belly bites marinating in a jerk marinade I made, when I get home from work they will go on the GMG, cant wait. 

pork belly.jpgpork belly 2.jpg

This guy had a custom smoker built for him. You can guess what he used to do.

:lol:

272754362_10219453100744886_3856764017424782291_n.jpg

So went shopping at Costco today and found these guys just sitting there looking for a good home. Wife and I fell in love at first sight, so we picked them up and brought them home. Smoked them up and then did a reverse sear with butter and garlic slices. Came out awesome! Smoked at 240* for an hour till temp IT hit 128* THEN on to the cast iron till 135*ish. Let them Rest for 5 minutes. Wife gets credit for salad and and taters yummmmmm. 

53DB0B68-3E4D-4631-9EA9-0D7E78E4539A.jpeg

AFD47D97-14B8-4995-843F-136CF8164139.jpeg

A01A017D-CD38-4DAB-8691-DB65E39CD744.jpeg

Didn’t get any pics of the cooking process, but a prime grade tri tip from Sam’s, twice baked potato and brussel sprouts. 

8CFD0AFE-D7BA-46BB-B884-4A2F4A29542E.jpeg

I’ve been lacking with smokin lately. Seems we always have a practice or game smack dab in the middle of the day and can’t devote the time. Maybe later in the summer. 

Damn you guys eat good. I get bagged salad and a dried chicken breast most nights. Work doesn't allow me to do much if any cooking. Can't wait to retire and learn how to do all this.

My backyard is torn up and my grills are scattered! Haven't been able to do much for 6 weeks. Doing a built in bbq island for the BGE, a new gas grill and a side burner. Pellet grill will stay on the stand so I can roll it around. Ill have counter space for the MiniMax, Uuni pizza oven, Lodge hibachi that will go in and out of the shed as I need them. Itching to fire up the BGE as that is my go to bbq

Here’s a few I’ve been able to sneak in

175CFE06-092C-48DF-A08C-7707B1E189B1.jpeg

CD307D94-5D54-4ABD-A3F2-5CB1515599B8.jpeg

B6D45565-7F8F-4C7D-B2D9-11E55DFEAB45.jpeg

99BDE4ED-88CB-452F-9890-3D59DF8FF14E.jpeg

A18786D1-8012-4CC3-AE78-0599CA2890F7.jpeg

76CC6BBF-E107-47CD-8787-7D37D7AC4A65.jpeg

C6365AFA-EEF4-4619-A217-7D6F69165621.jpeg

CC82D916-D569-472E-A5B8-225AF28B425F.jpeg

951047F6-ECB0-4CC6-A5B2-6D1C73887182.jpeg

@matt86mSad face because that post is literally bringing tears my eyes.  So beautiful...

vQAL7L.gif

Back