BBQ Smoking Thread

I’ve got a pellet smoker and if I can’t laugh at yourself then.  

8C44EF42-1B09-4E01-9AF9-EF1C0B20759C.jpeg

What is the lowest temp you can smoke at? I can get mine down to about 140* I do that for 3 hours and then crank it to 225 till done. 
I've got the Pit Boss 1150.  The lowest "S" smoke setting gets to about 180.  I think the 250 was too got when wrapped and steamed too much.

Put the pellet smoker aside and purchased a 26” Weber Kettle with a SNS XL.  Smoked two pork butts. No problem keeping temp at 225 with no fan/blower.  This is what it looked liked 3 hours into the cook.  Just can’t get that flavor out of the pellet grill.  It’s flat out amazing.  Using Kingsford charcoal and 3 wood chunks.  Also through on some Armadillo eggs with pork shots.39479FB2-3D1F-4219-B38E-8A8F4D3BD920.jpeg

0A064A52-E17B-4834-8A35-C6F37483FB63.jpeg

Exactly.  Keeps it from drying out. I also spritz with Apple Cider Vinegar 
I have had mixed results with the water. Maybe I have too much in there, I use a mudding pan for the drywall. Long, thin, holds about a quart of water.  For chicken, the only was to guarantee moist is to brine it. 

I have had mixed results with the water. Maybe I have too much in there, I use a mudding pan for the drywall. Long, thin, holds about a quart of water.  For chicken, the only was to guarantee moist is to brine it. 
I’ve never used a water bowl for chicken Only with pork cooks. But definitely agree with the brining  method when it comes to chicken. I do a dry brine though just Kosher salt them up for at least a few hours if in a rush or overnight in the fridge then coat them with hot sauce and sprinkle garlic and pepper and cook them up. About 300* Works great. 

I only use water to control temp, especially smoking in Phoenix with a stick burner. a 3/4 gallon water pan will last a good 8+ hour cook. Cooking in or adding humidity lessens your smoke ring, but not the flavor. for spritz i use 3 parts apple juice 1 part apple cider vinegar, and a shot or two of rye whiskey, keeps ribs tight and juicy, chicken moist, and sweats the sausage 

I use a water tray in my vertical wood burner.  Typically a 10x10 deep aluminum disposable tray.

Picked up my new Smoker today and made some chicken and veggies. Char Griller Gravity from Lowe’s. Pretty impressive for a charcoal/wood grill. Super easy. Looking forward to some cooks now. 

25C79611-A09E-4557-8968-5F814B894671.jpeg

7B714EF5-980E-471D-ABAB-E5A2A42BE56A.jpeg

7D46CB38-8B3D-4CAF-A8BE-48ACE8FBF7EB.jpeg

I did my first ribs smoked on a old fashioned charcoal smoker,  the tending to it every 45 mins and trying to keep a level heat was a pain so I just bought a new pellet smoker.  Can wait to try it out.  Set it and forget it.

Back