BBQ Smoking Thread

Interesting, so it straddles the burn pot? 
Yes, It replaces the heat diffuser and straddles the burn pot. My diffuser and drip pan were warped to chit so I bought both from them. They say the wood lasts 2-3 hours but at least you get to put some good smoke on right away. There's a video in the link I posted.

I'm also really interested in their charcoal pellets. I love the taste of charcoal bbq and it would be cool to get that from the pellet grill. 

Love my Lone Star Smoker, its an investment for sure, I got it about 4 years ago and shipping from Texas to my house in Az was like $600 alone, I couldn't imagine what shipping costs are now days. It heavy as heck 1300lb ish, holds temp awesome in any weather and wind. Has a 1/2 thick firebox and I have a 40k btu propane burner to get the fire started and I can be throwing meat in in under 30mins @ 225/250. In my old stick burners it took at least an hour to get a good coal bed and heat the cooker.

For those of us that haven’t gotten into this method yet, what machine is recommended? I want something fairly simple to operate that doesn’t take a lot of continual tending and watching. Our CEO recently bought a Traeger to keep at work. Once a week he loads it up with different stuff. He does chicken, ribs, fish, potatoes, veggies, etc. Puts on a lunch feed and it’s very good. The Traeger seems to work good and is simple. Has the Bluetooth so he monitors from the office while it’s cooking. I was thinking to get one of these. Anything I should know before buying? 

For those of us that haven’t gotten into this method yet, what machine is recommended? I want something fairly simple to operate that doesn’t take a lot of continual tending and watching. Our CEO recently bought a Traeger to keep at work. Once a week he loads it up with different stuff. He does chicken, ribs, fish, potatoes, veggies, etc. Puts on a lunch feed and it’s very good. The Traeger seems to work good and is simple. Has the Bluetooth so he monitors from the office while it’s cooking. I was thinking to get one of these. Anything I should know before buying? 
I have an older Traeger (before BT) and a Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker. My Traeger wasn't super accurate and the temp would swing more than I liked, so I called them up. After several calls of T/S, they sent me a new controller and it works a lot better now.

The Green Mt Grill was cheaper and has 2 probes that connect via wifi to your phone, greater range than BT and you can control everything from the phone or tablet. I bought it as a returned unit and it had a bad power supply and heat diffuser, they sent new ones out immediately. I did some temp accuracy testing and it was off by a lot, but once I moved the heat diffuser to the correct location, both probes were within 1 or 2* throughout the entire range and it had much tighter temp control than the Traeger. Both companies had great tech support, with Green Mt Grills sending new parts no questions asked but Traeger made me diagnose everything even though it's well known that the older model I had suffered from a primitive controller with wider than normal temp. swings.

If I had to choose one, I'd buy the Green Mt Grill again. I'd also recommend the insulation blanket for it. It's cheap and really helps maintain the desired temp and reduces pellet use by a huge amount.

The one thing about pellet smokers is they tend to dry food out, due to the blower. I always use a cookie sheet with a qt of water under the meat, it helps keep it moist and catches the drippings. A lot of people also swab it with a fruit juice or spritz it. 

If you can afford to, research and buy something made in AMERICA. Treager and most others are made by our future enemy, China. I bought a Blazin. Made in Nebraska. Has double wall construction for better insulation. My first pellet grill. Simple to use.

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

Smoking it too low of a temp for meatloaf.  Needs to be around 2500* for 3-4 hours.
Was this a question?  Smoked at 250* (not 2500) for about 3 hours until 165 or so, internal temp.  Lost track as we were pretty drunk.  Done this 4-5 times now. Fantastic.  Half have been cheese stuffed.  

Back