BBQ Smoking Thread

The pellet grill is a pretty easy grill to use that doesn’t require a lot of tending or attention. With the phone apps and temp probes, you don’t even need to go outside to cook a piece of meat. 
I have a Green Mountain Grill which is similar to a Traeger. I have the Daniel Boone (has had a name change when they became PC), which is the medium size one. It does great for my family of 6. I’ve had it 3 years now without a single issue. My dad has an older Traeger that has run flawless as well. I have heard newer Traegers having some issues with igniters and control boards but I can’t speak from experience. So far happy with my GMG. 
Traeger has the best marketing and advertising. I swear by my GMG. Here is a meatloaf I did a bit ago. 

image.jpeg

E1189E53-3C13-43F9-AE0C-1FBEAD47F543_1_105_c.jpeg

It's been a good few weeks since I've done ribs. I just took a couple racks out of the freezer to thaw as y'all have got me craving ribs.

image.jpeg

Just got a Recteq. I've had a little Traeger for about 6 or 7 years and only cooked whole chickens, steaks, and Johnsonville Brats on it. Gas BBQ for the hamburgers. Traeger has had a few issues lately so I stepped up to the Recteq. Was thinking about the Yoder, but for what I do, to many $$$'s ! :lol:  

Now that I have a bigger smoker I guess I'm going to have to try more things. Did baby back ribs last night but put WAY to much salt on them. Edible but will put less next time. Was watching a few youtuber's and most people say about 205 for the best temp to take them off to rest.
Nice choice! I bought Reqtec 700 to repalce my Tragers. And a Bullseye to replace my Weber. I use the Bullseye more than the 700. 

17.8lb turkey brined in pickle juice, and smoked @ 275º for a touch over 3h to an internal temp of 158º and the carry over took it to 165º.  Came out so juicy. I hope you all had wonderful Thanksgivings with your loved ones. 

~Andy

View attachment 87883
Looks so similar to mine I did the same way on the smoker!  I also did one in the oven, and a prime rib on the rotisserie.  But almost all of Thanksgiving dinner I did outside! 

IMG_3517.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3537.jpeg

IMG_8941.jpeg

IMG_8938.jpeg

IMG_8945.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

IMG_8954.jpeg

IMG_8950.jpeg

IMG_8979.jpeg

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks so similar to mine I did the same way on the smoker!  I also did one in the oven, and a prime rib on the rotisserie.  But almost all of Thanksgiving dinner I did outside! 

View attachment 87884

View attachment 87885

View attachment 87886

View attachment 87889

View attachment 87890

View attachment 87891

View attachment 87887

View attachment 87894

View attachment 87888

View attachment 87892

View attachment 87893

View attachment 87895

-TJ
nicely done - Gorgeous looking feast

I’m not sure what the story is behind this grill but I'm intrigued.  

IMG_0481.jpeg

I have an older Traeger (before BT) and a Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker. My Traeger wasn't super accurate and the temp would swing more than I liked, so I called them up. After several calls of T/S, they sent me a new controller and it works a lot better now.

The Green Mt Grill was cheaper and has 2 probes that connect via wifi to your phone, greater range than BT and you can control everything from the phone or tablet. I bought it as a returned unit and it had a bad power supply and heat diffuser, they sent new ones out immediately. I did some temp accuracy testing and it was off by a lot, but once I moved the heat diffuser to the correct location, both probes were within 1 or 2* throughout the entire range and it had much tighter temp control than the Traeger. Both companies had great tech support, with Green Mt Grills sending new parts no questions asked but Traeger made me diagnose everything even though it's well known that the older model I had suffered from a primitive controller with wider than normal temp. swings.

If I had to choose one, I'd buy the Green Mt Grill again. I'd also recommend the insulation blanket for it. It's cheap and really helps maintain the desired temp and reduces pellet use by a huge amount.

The one thing about pellet smokers is they tend to dry food out, due to the blower. I always use a cookie sheet with a qt of water under the meat, it helps keep it moist and catches the drippings. A lot of people also swab it with a fruit juice or spritz it. 
What's T/S?   I have an older Traeger with big temp swings too.  

I'ts actually Taylor Swift. LOTD had her on speed dial . . .

Did London Broil and ground beef jerkey this morning (no pictures)

Cold smoke Swiss and Pepper Jack now.  Swiss is my favorite cheese. 4 hours on then vacuum sealed for 3 weeks+. 

20240513_161405.jpg

Back