BBQ Smoking Thread

Smoked 16#s of pulled pork for my sons cub scouts friendsgiving tomorrow. Had a problem this morning at 4am when the auger got stuck. Had to rip the trager apart and get it back together then haul ass to work. Everything worked out fine though 

20221116_050015.jpg20221116_051700.jpg20221116_173555.jpg

Had a problem this morning at 4am when the auger got stuck. Had to rip the trager apart and get it back together then haul ass to work.
Do you know what caused the stuck? 

Yes he is! I'm all jelly! Can you pull triples in Cali? Asking for a friend.
There is a "food truck" guy around PHX that gutted the back half of a class3 MH and built a deck on it with a huge smoker.  I'll try to grab a pic next time I see him.

Similar to this, but on a Winnebago.

image.png 

Do you know what caused the stuck? 
Not sure how it happened but some pellets in the auger tube expanded like they got wet. I used the trager the night before with no issue. I have never had it happen in 10+ years using this one. 

Axis deer roast. Cooked on my big green egg XL 250-265* until it reached 142* IT

pulled and let it rest. Great edge to edge color. Tender, juicy and tons of flavor. Wild game, hunted in Texas, butchered all myself. Do you know where your food comes from? Yes. 

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085
You asked “do you know where your food comes from?”  
yes! 
One is a hog, 280 lbs, we butchered today. The other is a beef from last month.  We raise these and feed em, treat em good, and eat em. My freezer stays busy. 

awesome knife btw, I’ve been looking into one just like that. 

39A0BA05-17F6-4FA7-B0B9-CC84BBF9007E.jpeg

09D7183A-3152-4C68-AAA4-9893ED9A5E23.jpeg

E5F94FF6-47C8-4ABC-8744-93B0ABD73F25.jpeg

0D6BB792-5046-44A4-87D0-0089C04711E8.jpeg

You asked “do you know where your food comes from?”  
yes! 
One is a hog, 280 lbs, we butchered today. The other is a beef from last month.  We raise these and feed em, treat em good, and eat em. My freezer stays busy. 

awesome knife btw, I’ve been looking into one just like that. 

View attachment 64396

View attachment 64397

View attachment 64398

View attachment 64399
That's my goal in life! To have a hanging fridge! Love the family in on the butchering!!!

Cooked up some short ribs (my all time favorite) and a couple pork chops last night. 
I remember as a kid my mom cooking pork chops in a pan and I always hated them. The first time I had pork chops at my (then future) father-in-law’s house I didn’t know what they were, possibly the best steak ever. Nope, not a steak, fresh pork chops, done right. I have learned a lot from that man in how to prepare good food.  
With these, salt and pepper and a little garlic on the pork chops, and just salt on the short ribs.

The pork chops get 225-250* for about 40 minutes on the traeger, depending on how many times I open up the lid.  
Yes, I said traeger, an electric smoker. Hey look, I get you think it takes away from my manhood… But trust me, I do enough manly things, I can afford to use the traeger. 
The short ribs get about 20-25 minutes and  then a QUICK sear minute n the Barbie just to give a little crisp. You gotta watch those close because there is so much fat that the bbq will light up quick and burn them in a heartbeat, you don’t want that. Unless you do. We usually eat the short ribs as an appetizer. It was just me cooking so I snacked on one while cooking. 

3AA4F24B-1DAD-4B8B-AD46-6FAD79F15873.jpeg

81FC0780-092F-4905-AD27-C276F2E49401.jpeg

18BDB8BE-16EB-4706-B85A-5C6EF5583195.jpeg

Sams club had the thick bone in pork chops...they were sooo  good... now we get them at the food city in Parker when we go out there... love the thick pork chops....

Sams club had the thick bone in pork chops...they were sooo  good... now we get them at the food city in Parker when we go out there... love the thick pork chops....
Have a friend in Parker, he just bought nice ribeye's for $4.99lb from there. Good looking meat at a good price. Next time I'm there Ill bring a cooler and bring some home

Hoping to have our own BBQ soon. It will be the only cooking devise for a while. Until then, The oven has been our choice for steaks.

Last night I cooked up a nice set of Ribeyes. Did the pan sear with butter, then in the oven for 10 min. We like our steaks med well.  Took them out to rest covered as always.  Color and temp was great.  Plated and cut into them and dam they were leather. Like I killed a cheap sirloin.  Not sure WTF happened.  Sorry no photos. They sure looked great both before and after.  What did I do wrong or is it just bad luck on a few ribeyes?
Sounds like bad ribeyes. Medium well though! :classic_blink:

I know this was 8 months ago so hopefully you tried again.

Just got a Recteq. I've had a little Traeger for about 6 or 7 years and only cooked whole chickens, steaks, and Johnsonville Brats on it. Gas BBQ for the hamburgers. Traeger has had a few issues lately so I stepped up to the Recteq. Was thinking about the Yoder, but for what I do, to many $$$'s ! :lol:  

Now that I have a bigger smoker I guess I'm going to have to try more things. Did baby back ribs last night but put WAY to much salt on them. Edible but will put less next time. Was watching a few youtuber's and most people say about 205 for the best temp to take them off to rest.

BFA479BD-106C-4814-AFF0-8289E0E4D1FF.jpeg

6db98272a449013b91b336055d9a94a2.jpg

Back