Will Can am Have something like the Pro R?

Oh trust me, it's not just SXS, every thing breaks, sometimes for no reason at all.

I've had a BRAND new FAT motor, 100% all new parts, blow a head apart 3 miles into the V2R race, no idea why.

I redid my Baja because my wife wanted to race Powder Puff a decade or so ago, it went sorta like this. Brand new Fodrill arms and spindles, she put maybe 100 miles on them pre-running, trucking along on a fairly flat section of Barstow. 

View attachment 79771

View attachment 79772

View attachment 79773
Wait a second...

Are those shocks...  SINGLE SHEAR!?!??! :biggrin:

I can't answer for his other comments, but I agree that no one should control who buys what and how they use it.

I know lots of guys that shouldn't buy Corvettes, but do. That's a conversation for another day, but I think he was just giving an example, with some emotion stuck to it. :lol:
Like this feller?

Ok so not sure how that lower arm broke but I have seen a lot of videos of these cars being completely aired out with no issues. Now Speed had a chance to air their car out at a huckfest, to show the world how great the car and suspension was, and came up with some lame jumps. So still to this day we don’t know how the speed car will hold up to that kind of abuse. Now just so nobody thinks I’m slamming Speed, I had an issue when I bought my new Pro R. I finished signing paperwork and was ready to load it up and take it home. They drive out to my trailer and shut the car off. Guess what, it wouldn’t start back up! The dash went funky and that was that. They pushed the car back in and I went home empty as they were closing. Came back and got it the next day after the dash got a reflash and upgrade. So technically my Polaris broke before I even got it! Also, took the car for its first ride and a little into the ride it developed a clunking sound when hitting rocks. Got it home and jacked it up and found the coils didn’t have enough preload in them causing the noise. Stupid crap for sure but it happens!

All SXS are POS.. why do you think I spent $8k … EACH for nice boxed arms….

abc

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So who are you? Obviously you know who I am. The dipshit according to you . You know what’s best I guess. 
I actually said it was a dipshit comment, I didn't call you a dipshit, I have no idea who you are. You just decided to make some comment when I said I don't think it's a good idea, or safe for a SXS to be presented to the public at those speeds.

I am still trying to figure out the relevance of Weekend Warrior and Speed, Can Am????  

One was a pioneer in Toy Haulers before anyone else.  So confused....

Mazda knows a thing or 3 about vehicle dynamics... :biggrin:

image.png

There's that "goofy knuckle" again.

Also has...  GASP...  A clevis!

Mazda knows a thing or 3 about vehicle dynamics... :biggrin:

View attachment 79865

There's that "goofy knuckle" again.

Also has...  GASP...  A clevis!
Oh cool you found another cool picture of a goofy knuckle on a street car that’s protected by fenders. Nice. No one is saying it doesn’t work just that we don’t see it on any off road vehicles. Do the Masons run this style? Naw. Must be a reason for it. Like getting rocks or sticks wedged in between and possibly losing a tire at the least or limited tire selection. Not all 35’s will fit without spacers or crazy offsets. But then there goes your geometry. 

Oh cool you found another cool picture of a goofy knuckle on a street car that’s protected by fenders. Nice. No one is saying it doesn’t work just that we don’t see it on any off road vehicles. Do the Masons run this style? Naw. Must be a reason for it. Like getting rocks or sticks wedged in between and possibly losing a tire at the least or limited tire selection. Not all 35’s will fit without spacers or crazy offsets. But then there goes your geometry. 
1. Just because it’s on a street car doesn’t mean it isn’t good for offroad if you adapt the concept to your vehicle. 10 years ago, every TT was Big Block powered, now you’re seeing supercharged LS setups and other power plants pioneered in street cars becoming popular. Motec didn’t get its name from TTs, it got it from road racing. AWD is a more recent thing, and I would bet “goofy knuckle” setups will make it too. Previous to this, tall spindles were run, but scrub radius was less of a concern because the axle wasn’t driven. Torque steer sucks, and offroad will find ways to solve this too.

2. I’m fairly certain all 35s will fit so long as they’re stock width. If they’re not stock width, the scrub radius has changed anyway.

3.  Even with spacers, scrub radius and SAI will be better than anything else with the pivots inside the wheel short of a Pro R with LSK’s virtual SAI kit. Anything other than this design or LSK’s will have positive scrub, which is shitty in a driven steering axle.

4. You think a large rock will somehow stick to the tire hard enough to end up on top (which requires a 180* change in direction)? Won’t centrifugal force throw it behind or possibly up? Only way I see a rock staying long enough would be if it was embedded into the tire, lol. 

OEs have teams of engineers working on this, optimizing designs in a very competitive world. TT teams are cool, but they’re nowhere near OE in terms of R&D.

Besides, at least I don’t think portals and backwards V-drive setups that died in the 70s will somehow nullify  the “goofy spindle”. But hey, it’s patented!  :biggrin:

1. Just because it’s on a street car doesn’t mean it isn’t good for offroad if you adapt the concept to your vehicle. 10 years ago, every TT was Big Block powered, now you’re seeing supercharged LS setups and other power plants pioneered in street cars becoming popular. Motec didn’t get its name from TTs, it got it from road racing. AWD is a more recent thing, and I would bet “goofy knuckle” setups will make it too. Previous to this, tall spindles were run, but scrub radius was less of a concern because the axle wasn’t driven. Torque steer sucks, and offroad will find ways to solve this too.

2. I’m fairly certain all 35s will fit so long as they’re stock width. If they’re not stock width, the scrub radius has changed anyway.

3.  Even with spacers, scrub radius and SAI will be better than anything else with the pivots inside the wheel short of a Pro R with LSK’s virtual SAI kit. Anything other than this design or LSK’s will have positive scrub, which is shitty in a driven steering axle.

4. You think a large rock will somehow stick to the tire hard enough to end up on top (which requires a 180* change in direction)? Won’t centrifugal force throw it behind or possibly up? Only way I see a rock staying long enough would be if it was embedded into the tire, lol. 

OEs have teams of engineers working on this, optimizing designs in a very competitive world. TT teams are cool, but they’re nowhere near OE in terms of R&D.

Besides, at least I don’t think portals and backwards V-drive setups that died in the 70s will somehow nullify  the “goofy spindle”. But hey, it’s patented!  :biggrin:
I’m just going by what the can am techs have said that not all 35’s will fit. Some are wider and will rub. 

Concerning tires and possible knuckle damage my concern would be something getting caught up on the sidewall and the knuckles. Someone posted a picture with his index finger barely fitting between the two. It may have been a 35” tire I don’t remember. 

We’ll have to wait and see if the top trophy truck builders adopt the goofy knuckles set up. Seems like that idea has came and gone though. We’ll see if it makes a comeback. 

And I agree with you on RGs comment regarding his latest patent.  :blink:

I’m just going by what the can am techs have said that not all 35’s will fit. Some are wider and will rub. 

Concerning tires and possible knuckle damage my concern would be something getting caught up on the sidewall and the knuckles. Someone posted a picture with his index finger barely fitting between the two. It may have been a 35” tire I don’t remember. 

We’ll have to wait and see if the top trophy truck builders adopt the goofy knuckles set up. Seems like that idea has came and gone though. We’ll see if it makes a comeback. 

And I agree with you on RGs comment regarding his latest patent.  :blink:
Yeah, definitely a concern, but I think it’s not super likely. Tacomas see gazillions of miles Offroad and have similar spacing to the knuckle. 

image.jpeg

Hard for a rock to get carried by the sidewall all the way up there (180* turn still) and anything coming from up front will get bounced out, not in. 

Maybe mud bogger 35s won’t fit.   

Back