The official Honda Thread

Had an issue start Saturday on return drive to south dunes. Motor would stumble and act like it was going to stop when it was cruising at 3000 rpm's. Below this it was fine, above it was fine. Under a load like accelerating, it was fine. It only happened at 3k while cruising. I know, just don't drive at that speed, fixed, but was curious what you would point at as a possible culprit.
Also check your timing belt. My dad's skipped a few teeth and did the exact same thing 

Congrats on the great numbers. Who did the tune?
I took it to Church automotive.  I was expecting more out of it, but since I put the wastegate pickup right off the end of the turbo and not up on the intake I lost a few pounds of pressure.  I have a 10.5lbs spring in the waste gate but its only seeing 7 at the intake.  I knew I would lose some pressure, just didn't expect that much.  So I will either but a new spring in it or move it to the intake to get it back up to 10.  Either way it will definitely be a blast to drive this season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I took it to Church automotive.  I was expecting more out of it, but since I put the wastegate pickup right off the end of the turbo and not up on the intake I lost a few pounds of pressure.  I have a 10.5lbs spring in the waste gate but its only seeing 7 at the intake.  I knew I would lose some pressure, just didn't expect that much.  So I will either but a new spring in it or move it to the intake to get it back up to 10.  Either way it will definitely be a blast to drive this season. 
Very Nice! For a boost reference I cut of the PCV elbow port then drilled and tapped it for 1/8 NPT. I then ran a braided line directly to the wastegate. I can send pics if needed.

Very Nice! For a boost reference I cut of the PCV elbow port then drilled and tapped it for 1/8 NPT. I then ran a braided line directly to the wastegate. I can send pics if needed.
Are you referring to the ports coming out of the side of the intake manifold?  That's what I was going to tap into.  I have them going to the FPU and the BOV at the moment.

Are you referring to the ports coming out of the side of the intake manifold?  That's what I was going to tap into.  I have them going to the FPU and the BOV at the moment.
This is my setup currently

E4994A11-65FE-49B7-8F87-B980F658FCAA.jpeg

The springs tend not to be very accurate. I went through several until I just ended up putting a boost control (manual, Grainger style) on it to stop the spiking and varying spring rates. My BOV was about 6" from TB.

The springs tend not to be very accurate. I went through several until I just ended up putting a boost control (manual, Grainger style) on it to stop the spiking and varying spring rates. My BOV was about 6" from TB.
Ya there can be variation in the springs, but right now I'm guesstimating the spring at 10.5 by the manufacture, but only seeing 7ish.  So at least if I put the pickup for the wastegate on the intake I'll know I'm seeing max psi whenever the wastegate opens.

I would remove it from the car and disassemble both CV's and see how worn everything is. 
X2 and check to make sure axle didn't get bent somehow. Bend in axle is kind of what I'm seeing, maybe just an illusion.

Has anyone ever had an issue with the Cam or Crank positioning sensor going bad? 

I am getting a bad ignition/Fuel Cut at at 4K RPM and I went through the tune (My tuner did as well) and cannot find any issues. It starting to have a weird misfire at idle as well.

We confirmed its not the VTEC Solenoid as I changed the RPM switch in the soft to turn on earlier and it came on flawlessly.

With the OE ECU it will run with a weird crank sensor signal, but give you a code and rev limit to about 2500.  Without a cam signal it can't sync to know which cylinder it is on, so it won't run.  

Some aftermarket ECUs just use the cam signal to sync at start-up then ignore it.  Not sure how the AEM works.

The only thing that had changed since it went to tune, was I pulled removed and reinstalled the water outlet piece I have. Nothing else was changed.

I pulled the timing covers off to make sure it had not skipped a tooth and they all lined up perfectly.

Car went back to the tuners yesterday to figure out what was going on and also retune for E85.

Made 437 at the wheels on 7LBS.

Turns out with the AEM my tach was reading incorrectly. Data logs confirmed this.

Spoke with a buddy of mine and his tach did the same thing when he switched over to the AEM ECU.

I have a ticket in with AEM to see how to fix this.

Back