The official Honda Thread

I have a J35A4 in my Tatum Sand Demon and a friend has a J35A3 out of an Acura with stock ignition box and his hits HARD from 4000 to redline, his car is a little lighter but it just rips, are the cams different in the Acura? 

image.png

I have a J35A4 in my Tatum Sand Demon and a friend has a J35A3 out of an Acura with stock ignition box and his hits HARD from 4000 to redline, his car is a little lighter but it just rips, are the cams different in the Acura? 

View attachment 29641
The part numbers for the cams are the same, but the heads are different. I read on a J35 engine swap site that the J35A3 has the best flowing heads of any of the J motors. No idea if the heads alone would account for the difference you are seeing...or maybe the stock map on the Acura ECU (for MDX) is different than the Honda ECU map for the Odyssey? 

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 29641

Edit....I read that as J32A3..

Last edited by a moderator:
Question someone asked and I had no idea, Vtech gets a signal, and 12 volts is sent to controller to engage intake rockers. Anybody ever install a over ride switch, to send power at another point? Say climbing hill and you want the extra boost prior to the ecu's signal.

Well I have been trying to figure out my issue on my own without bothering all of you again but my baja is up and running I’ve got to take it around the block a few times but can’t seem to figure out the issue. 1st gear seems to go just fine 1/4 to full throttle. But when I try to open it up in other gears I get stumbling and popping sometimes shutting down until I let off give it a few and it kicks back on. If I’m not moving idle to rev is just fine no issues. I read the previous comments mentioning the screen on the vtec so after a bit of google I found the screen on my oil filter housing next to the solenoid which was surprisingly clean but I made sure it was perfect yet didn’t change anything for me. I have read some have a second screen by the power steering pump mine doesn’t. Are there any others on my set up? I’m not getting a code for anything really besides the usual suspects from having things disconnected. I have sprayed all over with some carb cleaner checking for any air leaks which there wasn’t any. Any help is always appreciated thank you again. 

Well I have been trying to figure out my issue on my own without bothering all of you again but my baja is up and running I’ve got to take it around the block a few times but can’t seem to figure out the issue. 1st gear seems to go just fine 1/4 to full throttle. But when I try to open it up in other gears I get stumbling and popping sometimes shutting down until I let off give it a few and it kicks back on. If I’m not moving idle to rev is just fine no issues. I read the previous comments mentioning the screen on the vtec so after a bit of google I found the screen on my oil filter housing next to the solenoid which was surprisingly clean but I made sure it was perfect yet didn’t change anything for me. I have read some have a second screen by the power steering pump mine doesn’t. Are there any others on my set up? I’m not getting a code for anything really besides the usual suspects from having things disconnected. I have sprayed all over with some carb cleaner checking for any air leaks which there wasn’t any. Any help is always appreciated thank you again. 
Couple of things to check.

All the connectors tight? I had a loose connector on the Vtec sensor and would trip the limp mode.

Also, have you adjusted your valves? Long story with mine but they were out of adjustment and would trigger the limp mode.

Sounds kind of like what my sons was doing and we wiggled the crank sensor wire while car was at idle and it shut off. We then cleaned the plug and tied the wire up and seemed to fix issue. We know this will need to be replaced but it was a temp fix in the sand. Plug is next to plug for the v tech control.

Fuel filters clean??

If you MAP or TPS sensors are going bad you could have that scenario.  OR, if you have them swapped it does some weird stuff...

picked up my kit from Kennedy today. Got the motor cleaned up and painted figured how to flip the intake and the plenums.

Blocking the EGR on the coolant manifold won't work when the manifold is flipped.  You have to physically plug it in either the upper or lower plenum.

If you're just looking for a plate to bolt on to hide the manifold holes, the factory Honda plate is the cheapest route.  Search 18711-PM1-J00

my neighbor has an older SCU with a VTEC. He is looking for someone to help him with the engine wiring harness- it’s been modified, and he’s got 3 wires he hasn’t been able to identify. 

Who is the shop or person he should contact?

my neighbor has an older SCU with a VTEC. He is looking for someone to help him with the engine wiring harness- it’s been modified, and he’s got 3 wires he hasn’t been able to identify. 

the wire layout from ecu that I have is

White      Battery 12v constant 7.5 amp

Red         Ignition switch 15 amp

Green     Switch to ground for fan relay

Pink        Alternator light ground side of bulb

Purple    Oil gauge

Brown   Oil Light ground side of bulb

Yellow   Temp gauge

Blue       Tachometer

Green/white   fuel pump relay negative terminal

Back