Speed UTV

The biggest difference is the 4 banger Polaris motor might not be working as hard.  With all the crap some people put on their 4 seaters now I would think fully loaded they rolling around in the 2700lbs range. 

Some of those 4 seat Can Am's were flying up Olds.  
Define "working hard."  IMHO any motor has to work the same amount to move a given machine, with a given load, at a given speed on the same terrain.  And with CVTs it'll always be doing that near peak-HP RPM when the load gets high.  I don't see how the NA 4-banger works any less than a turbo 2 Cyl to produce the same result.

-TJ

Define "working hard."  IMHO any motor has to work the same amount to move a given machine, with a given load, at a given speed on the same terrain.  And with CVTs it'll always be doing that near peak-HP RPM when the load gets high.  I don't see how the NA 4-banger works any less than a turbo 2 Cyl to produce the same result.

-TJ
So your going to sit there with a straight face and say for instance that a YFZ450R works just as hard as a 700 Raptor to move the same 250lb rider and bike. You are also saying that a LS1 N/A pushing a 2 seat funco is going to work just as hard as a 4 banger subie with a turbo pushing the same car.  

Wow if that was true I can't believe how many people are just wasting money on bigger engines and turbo's , They just need to work them harder is all.

So your going to sit there with a straight face and say for instance that a YFZ450R works just as hard as a 700 Raptor to move the same 250lb rider and bike. You are also saying that a LS1 N/A pushing a 2 seat funco is going to work just as hard as a 4 banger subie with a turbo pushing the same car.  

Wow if that was true I can't believe how many people are just wasting money on bigger engines and turbo's , They just need to work them harder is all.
And you're going to sit there "with a straight face" and pretend you read my post at all?  Try again, I'll give you the pertinent part: 

"IMHO any motor has to work the same amount to move a given machine, with a given load, at a given speed on the same terrain"

A YFZ450R and a 700 Raptor are different machines, with different weights so they don't fit with what I described at all. 

Now, let's just pretend a NA LS1 Funco and a Turbo Subi Funco weigh exactly the same.  Let's say they're setup w/ the same tires at the same PSI and all other variables are constant.  In that case, yes, I'm going to say that the same amount of work is done to move them through the sand at a given speed. 

The bottom line is it takes a given amount of energy to move the exact same machine through the exact same terrain at the exact same speed. 

Let's say it takes 200 HP to cruise 50 through flat sand (totally made up numbers, obviously).  It doesn't matter if a NA LS1 is making that 200 HP at 1/2 throttle or a turbo Subi is making it at 3/4 throttle the same amount of work is being done.  So, I would call that "working just as hard."  

I don't know any way to define "working hard" than the amount of work being done.  HP is a measure of work done over time.  It takes a constant amount of HP to move the exact same machine at the exact same speed in the exact same situation (terrain, inclination, etc.).  So any two motors that end up producing the same result in vehicles that weighs exactly the same amount are working equally hard.  

You're also completely discounting the fact that bigger engines, turbos, etc. create an opportunity to do more work.  Let's say you have a rail that weighs exactly 2400lbs and has a 350 HP LS1.  It might only be able to pull 2nd gear at the top of China.  Now, take that exact same car and put a 650HP LS7 in it with the same trans, gearing etc. and it'll pull 3rd and be accelerating at the top of China (until it breaks everything, lol).  Yes, in that case more work is being done, clearly. 

But the topic here was the new Polaris 4cyl vs. a Speed motor both at 225 HP and both probably very equal in weight.  I don't see how the 4cyl inherently works any less to create the same outcome (i.e. dune at the same speed).  If you're somehow using throttle position as an analog for work being done (which is a terrible strategy) then I'd argue the average throttle position of the turbo motor would be lower than the NA motor (since the turbo motor is far less peaky and makes more power in a broader range) and be "working less" if that is your metric (which, again, I totally don't agree with throttle position as a metric for "working hard").  

Really, at the end of the day the issue we're having here is "working hard" is a totally subjective, made-up metric that everyone will define differently and means absolutely nothing from an engineering perspective.  

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no gear head.. but there are different kinds of machines right?... I had a Raptor 700R.. I think it's compression was like 7:1. I don't believe it was what you'd call a 'race motor' as compared to lots of those 450's that are what 13:1 compression?...  more like Indy cars and such...super high rev, etc.

One thing I remember is that the MFR recommended rebuilding the 450's at some stupid frequency like every 50 hours or something where as the 700 it was much much longer... I would assume cause it isn't all 'spracked out.'

I was 100% NA guy, but now having turbo street cars as well as the SXS, definitely loving the turbo... with the loose sand/dirt, they seem to spool up pretty quick.

I think it will be easy to kill yourself in either the SPEED or the new Polaris.. over 100mph in a SXS is pretty darn fast ... 

abc

Lots of folks equate "working hard" to High RPM......but even that is subjective because some motors are meant to work in the higher range, by design.

High HP is good for Top Speed and keeping it.

Torque is what you need to accelerate fast off the line and move mass....

These SxS are both HEAVY...the HP is good.....but what are the Torque numbers looking like?

I think what some refer to "working hard" is actually power DENSITY.

225hp from 1.0L Turbo

225hp from 2.0L N/A

Both same power, both "working" the same amount. (225hp)

The difference is the power DENSITY.

225 hp/L versus 113 hp/L

Lots of folks equate "working hard" to High RPM......but even that is subjective because some motors are meant to work in the higher range, by design.

These SxS are both HEAVY...the HP is good.....but what are the Torque numbers looking like?
I think the Polaris is 155 range and Speed is in the 130+ range.  

The thing is, with a CVT that standard just doesn't apply.  They jump to peak HP RPM nearly instantly when you get on it, and are using HP the whole way.  What you're thinking about applies more to traditional transmissions where you need torque to get you from <launch RPM> to 5k+ where HP takes over.  

-TJ

Sand does favor the High RPM motors....gotta get those wheels to spin faster....Torque alone won't get you up China Wall.

:moof:

The thing is, with a CVT that standard just doesn't apply.  They jump to peak HP RPM nearly instantly when you get on it, and are using HP the whole way.  What you're thinking about applies more to traditional transmissions where you need torque to get you from <launch RPM> to 5k+ where HP takes over.  

-TJ
True, this is all in the sand. See my other post LOL

I think the Polaris is 155 range and Speed is in the 130+ range.  
Where are you getting the Speed number, I couldn't find Torque with a quick search.  Either way, it's meaningless. In practice in the Speed you'll never actually achieve peak torque.  There's no way to hold the engine down at the peak torque RPM when going WOT.  

-TJ

True, this is all in the sand. See my other post LOL
It doesn't matter if it's sand, dirt, pavement, etc.  With the CVTs in SxSs ('cept the YXZ, of course) at high-load the engine is always in the peak HP range, not in the peak TQ range.  Peak TQ is never realized in the actual vehicle, only on an engine dyno because it'll never be at WOT at peak TQ RPM in the completed vehicle.  

HP is just a measure of work done over time.  Specifically, it's torque applied over time as measured by RPM.  Torque is just vector cross-product of the force vector and radius vector.  

-TJ

-TJ
Sucking up less gas.  LOL!

I guess it really depends on the hp and torque curves.  

Sucking up less gas.  LOL!

I guess it really depends on the hp and torque curves.  
What do you mean by "sucking up gas"?  How does it depend on the HP/TQ curves?  What does it matter if it takes X HP to move the vehicle through a given situation if it's making X HP at 5k or 8k?  The shape of the curve really doesn't matter, ESPECIALLY with a CVT where you'll never traverse the whole power curve under high-load.

Also, I'm assuming here we're talking about the same fuel in all cases.  A given fuel (whether it's 91, 100, E85, whatever) carries a certain amount of energy by volume.  So, it takes the same volume of fuel to create the same amount of power in any engine...  BUT there's a HUGE and obvious caveat to that: efficiency.  In internal combustion engines efficiency is generally measured by "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" or BSFC.  

The generic definition of BSFC is something like (stolen from a Summit page in this case): "BSFC stands for Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. It tells you how much fuel your engine will use per hour for each horsepower it makes. BSFC changes with engine load and rpm. A lower BSFC value is MORE efficient. Higher BSFC numbers are LESS efficient."

Now, here's where it gets good 'n complicated. 

At WOT NA engines actually have lower (better) BSFC numbers.  But it's not really apples to apples.  A 999cc NA motor will have a lower BSFC than a 999cc turbo motor at WOT, but that's not what we're actually talking about.  The question at hand is what are the BSFCs on a 225 HP NA 2.0L and a 225 HP NA 999cc motor.  I don't think we have that data. 

Further, since all of us other than @ANGRYBUTTCRACK don't dune wide-open 100% of the time we need to consider more than just full WOT.  BSFC metrics change drastically in part-throttle conditions and there are opportunities to tune a turbo setup to beat NA BSFC for a given power output at part throttle.  However, since none of these things are tuned for peak efficiency, more for power/longevity and to hopefully last when being beaten in the desert I doubt the turbo setup will ever realize the potentially better BSFC.

So, I'll agree for the same dune ride, I'd expect the turbo engine to use a bit more fuel.  If the use of fuel is your definition of "working harder"  I guess the turbo setup is "working harder."  But others will define "working harder" by time at WOT or average throttle position, where the NA motor would be higher and therefore have been "working harder."  Still others yet will define "working harder" by average RPM where I'd say the NA motor would clearly by much higher in a standard trans vehicle, but in an CVT setup both will hang out around peak HP RPM (though the NA motor probably has a higher peak HP RPM).  So, by that definition of "working harder" it's a wash, or yet again the NA motor is "working harder." 

Me, I would define working hard as the amount of work done, and on identical weight machines on the exact same route, on the exact same wheels/tires etc. if their speed were identical I'd argue neither worked harder, because both did the same amount of work...

Allllllllllllllllllllll of that said, I think the point here is that "working harder" isn't a real metric that can be properly quantified or measured and arguing about it is pointless... which is why I do it. 😉 🤦‍♂️

-TJ

I think what some refer to "working hard" is actually power DENSITY.

225hp from 1.0L Turbo

225hp from 2.0L N/A

Both same power, both "working" the same amount. (225hp)

The difference is the power DENSITY.

225 hp/L versus 113 hp/L
I missed your reply before... but I think you nailed it.  It seems folks are conflating power density and "working hard."  The latter of which isn't really a good metric for trying to compare engine platforms...

-TJ

What do you mean by "sucking up gas"?  How does it depend on the HP/TQ curves?  What does it matter if it takes X HP to move the vehicle through a given situation if it's making X HP at 5k or 8k?  The shape of the curve really doesn't matter, ESPECIALLY with a CVT where you'll never traverse the whole power curve under high-load.

Also, I'm assuming here we're talking about the same fuel in all cases.  A given fuel (whether it's 91, 100, E85, whatever) carries a certain amount of energy by volume.  So, it takes the same volume of fuel to create the same amount of power in any engine...  BUT there's a HUGE and obvious caveat to that: efficiency.  In internal combustion engines efficiency is generally measured by "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" or BSFC.  

The generic definition of BSFC is something like (stolen from a Summit page in this case): "BSFC stands for Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. It tells you how much fuel your engine will use per hour for each horsepower it makes. BSFC changes with engine load and rpm. A lower BSFC value is MORE efficient. Higher BSFC numbers are LESS efficient."

At WOT NA engines actually have lower (better) BSFC numbers.  But it's not really apples to apples.  A 999cc NA motor will have a lower BSFC than a 999cc turbo motor at WOT, but that's not what we're actually talking about.  The question at hand is what are the BSFCs on a 225 HP NA 2.0L and a 225 HP NA 999cc motor.  I don't think we have that data. 

Further, since all of us other than @ANGRYBUTTCRACK don't dune wide-open 100% of the time we need to consider more than just full WOT.  BSFC metrics change drastically in part-throttle conditions and there are opportunities to tune a turbo setup to beat NA BSFC for a given power output at part throttle.  However, since none of these things are tuned for peak efficiency, more for power/longevity and to hopefully last when being beaten in the desert I doubt the turbo setup will ever realize the potentially better BSFC.

So, I'll agree for the same dune ride, I'd expect the turbo engine to use a bit more fuel.  If the use of fuel is your definition of "working harder"  I guess the turbo setup is "working harder."  But others will define "working harder" by time at WOT or average throttle position, where the NA motor would be higher and therefore have been "working harder."  Still others yet will define "working harder" by average RPM where I'd say the NA motor would clearly by much higher in a standard trans vehicle, but in an CVT setup both will hang out around peak HP RPM (though the NA motor probably has a higher peak HP RPM).  So, by that definition of "working harder" it's a wash, or yet again the NA motor is "working harder." 

Me, I would define working hard as the amount of work done, and on identical weight machines on the exact same route, on the exact same wheels/tires etc. if their speed were identical I'd argue neither worked harder, because both did the same amount of work...

Allllllllllllllllllllll of that said, I think the point here is that "working harder" isn't a real metric that can be properly quantified or measured and arguing about it is pointless... which is why I do it. 😉 🤦‍♂️

-TJ
Ha... ya know.. both my cars have new motors so kinda still in 'break in'.. also.. I hate the belt changing.. so I'm no longer full 'hammer down'.. momentum is key with these CVT cars IMO... I was only full hammer down up a couple of hills when I raced the Orange vs. the Black... Seems like full hammer down as opposed to 2/3 throttle, .. doesn't really change it's performance.

I'm just glad to be 'done'.. we'll see,.. teasing the wife about re-entering the V8 world... If I'm reported missing, she killed me over Glamis addiction... 

:rofl:

abc

-TJ
Why you got to go all technical on us lay people.  LOL!!!

I am just trying to get this thread to 200!

Back