Speed UTV

In my opinion in driving both, easiest way I can put it, it is easier to drive and steer when you have front steer.

I'm not an expert in vehicle dynamics but driving, especially offroad you can tell the difference.

From RDC:

When turning or cornering say into a berm, when you have rear steer, the tie rod on the outside wheel will be in compression. When front steer it will be under tension.

You will have understeer with front steer on deflection.

You will have oversteer with rear steer on deflection.

In offroad you want understeer on deflection.

When was the last time you saw a TT or Cl1 with rear steer?

It's not a deal breaker whatsoever and it does work, however it is not ideal and makes the car harder to drive. Add in electric power steering and it can be a handful. At least my X3 was at (UTV) high speed in the hardpack.
The X3 was a handful between the shitty power steering and bump steer having the car dart all over the place.  First time I drove my first X3 in the desert I was miserable and my arms were tired.  LOL!   After doing several things I got it under control and it was super stable and fun to drive.  Power steering still was not the greatest. 

New X3 is much much better than my old X3.  More powerful power steering and they changes the steering rack ratio to make it easier to steer. 

I did a double sheer rack mount and the offset misalignments on the tie rod on the wheel side.

Did not do a new rack since I never had the overheating problems.

My problems were with the actual way it handled and steered. It was not ideal.

I will add, 90% of the time the handling and steering was fine.

It was in oh chit moments, very aggressive driving, aggressive cornering when you can tell the difference.

Most don't seem to care, but I am sure front steer in combination with proper geometry and hydraulic power steering the Speed car will have superior vehicle handling characteristics more in line of a proper offroad car.

My opinion only. I could be full of chit.
My power steering would lock up when over loaded in super sharp turns in the dunes.  I got my power steering replaced under warranty with a 2019 power steering unit, which had more watts.  Never had an issue after that.  Did the bump steer tie-rod kit too. 

Has anyone seen videos of a Speed UTV pre-running in Baja?  All I have seen is Max driving the Gordini and Pre-runner truck. 

Has anyone seen videos of a Speed UTV pre-running in Baja?  All I have seen is Max driving the Gordini and Pre-runner truck. 
A lot of what I’ve seen of them prerunning is in Baja Sur, think they said they would use the Speed UTV to prerun the start/northern section. 

Boardmanville social media had a video of Robbie eating nachos at the bar this weekend...no Speed UTV sightings in Glamis this past weekend?

Boardmanville social media had a video of Robbie eating nachos at the bar this weekend...no Speed UTV sightings in Glamis this past weekend?
Saw lots of Polaris, Can Am, and Yamaha.  Even saw a dude with an ankle bracelet from his parole officer, but no Speed UTV.  Crime must of paid as he had a pretty nice UTV.   LOL!!!!

256448683_843444007055655_1441127589623900919_n.jpg

Hmmm direct from Speed UTV, wonder if these were “canceled by RG” buy backs.

7B40A923-CA75-4159-8FA2-AF95A58C451E.jpeg

Why would they want a closer look at it?
To see what the competition is doing.  If you don’t think they looked over the Can Am X3,  Polaris Turbo S and XP Pro and the other brands you are fooling yourself.   

If you don’t think they are a little concerned with what Polaris just introduced you got your head in the sand.   The Pro R and Pro Turbo are going to take away some future sells and who knows some deposit holders may be selling their spots.  

The UTV crowd are fickle and we like the next shiny ride. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back