Speed UTV

LOL!  I do not recall seeing any on fire over Halloween weekend.  I think Polaris is going to be announcing a very nice UTV tomorrow.  
game-changer-788f611a53.jpg

LOL!  I do not recall seeing any on fire over Halloween weekend.  I think Polaris is going to be announcing a very nice UTV tomorrow.  
Unfortunately I saw a video a friend sent me of a major crash on the 78 somewhere near the Osborne lookout turn off on Halloween weekend. The video was originally posted on facebook, which I do not belong to but was able to watch the link. It doesn't work any longer. The razors on fire at least 2 were burning on the trailer. I don't want to make fun of it as from what I understand people died in the big pile up. 

Well the new RZRs are out and it appears they have addressed all of Robby's selling points with the Speed and then raised the tech up a few notches on the top models. 

Well even if it takes another year to get speed vehicles to the market I would like to see a completely stock class except for the safety items like nets and 5 point belts. Then run them all against one another and see what the outcome is. Once you spend twice as much as you original purchase to upgrade all the stock factory stuff. It not what it use to be.

Well the new RZRs are out and it appears they have addressed all of Robby's selling points with the Speed and then raised the tech up a few notches on the top models. 
Esplain for the lazy like me :biggrin:

Esplain for the lazy like me :biggrin:
The talked about improved strength (the new frame looks like a big improvement), addressed double shear mounting points,  Patent pending shock mounting to the lower a-arm,  boxed from suspension, what appears to be more of a real cage and pretty much hit all the big talking points. 

Tech wise they brought more to the table. The upper models have the latest version of the Live Valve which allows you to now program your own settings for the suspension verses what the factory give you.  You can now program gas pedal response depending on if you are rock crawling, slow trail riding, dunes or desert.  Ride Command GPS has more features and improvements.  

Still sorting though everything.  

It will be a heavy car.  

The nailed the 225hp and you can get an Orange and Black one.  LOL!

Price wise the Speed car is still a better value for those that locked in the early prices.  If you were to price out a Speed car now they pricing is comparable.  

Polaris will sell a lot of the Pro R and even the Pro S (replacement for the Turbo S). 

It said they wont be out until 2022 and spring of 2022.

What was the cost?

What happens with the displacement being ove 1000 like all others? Does that make them a off road car or rail and no helmets required?

I posted in the other thread, there are some very large differences which do make a difference to the caliber of the vehicle and the quality of the drive.

Most notably:

Front vs rear steer

Traditional trailing arm vs radius rod setup

Hydraulic power steering vs electric

In your professional opinion, do you agree or disagree the 3 items listed above make a very big difference between what the driver feels and how a car handles?

There are other big differences but these are the most glaring differences between the 2 cars in my opinion.

Furthermore, pricing is quite a bit different, fully loaded has a different definition between the Speed and the RZR. I can go into those differences if you like, but I am confident you already know them --- even at current Speed prices.
You give me too much credit. LOL!  You have far more knowledge than I would every have on suspension geometry and off-road set ups. 

There is no dispute from a suspension and geometry stand point the Speed car is on point. 

To the average drive I do not think they will notice the difference between rear steer or a front steer set up.  Most UTV owners are use to a front steer set up and the understeering.  

A true trailing arm set up is more idea, but the radius rod set up has proven to work on a SXS. 

Polaris traditionally has really good power steering. I have not driven an off-road vehicle with hydraulic power steering so I have no idea how it would feel. Obviously you don't have to worry about overloading the system, which is what happen on the earlier model X3s.  

As to the top models - Speed gives you more practical items that you and I would want.  Polaris is going to dazzle you with gadgets.  From a pure tech point the new Dynamic Live Valve set up is pretty slick and Ride Command is really nice.  

You locked in a great price on your Speed UTV and you are getting a lot of car for the money.  

Polaris is very savvy and they are doing what they do best from a market stand point.  They like to take the wind out of the other manufactures sails.  You don't think it is a coincidence they release this model now and have it hitting the show room floor just before Speed may be ramping up production. The also hit a lot the key talking points in the videos.  

PRACTICAL! Thats the word I was looking for!

The point is, everybody should choose their flavor. It looks like the RZR is going to be no slouch but they missed the mark on a couple things. I also think RG missed the mark on the engine. If he or ANYBODY would have known what is happening now, he would be putting ecotecs in his car or something instead.

The RZR will be cool for sure! However from a drivers standpoint, it really isnt much of an improvement in the suspension department besides being what, 6" wider? And there is not 28 or 29 inches of travel. Truth be told, I dont think the Speed will have 25" or whatever they are claiming either.

And no, it is no coincidence, they have the money, the pull, and the contacts to get this car to market before Speed. In conjunction with the pricing and the horsepower number, I assume that Polaris does see Speed as somewhat of a foe in the Sport UTV market.

Its a waiting game at this point. Curious to see what class Matlock is allowed to race for the B1K and where he ends up. He is afterall probably the best or at least top 3 drivers in UTV in Baja.

To note: yes hydraulic PS is worlds better than electric everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

This only applies as long as it works!!! Old school technology they should be fine.

Also I think you meant most UTV drivers are used to rear steer. It is unfortunate they are used to that because it is absolutely horrendous in comparison to front steer. However the packaging has always made it easier for them to do rear steer.

I do know front steer and the trailing arms on the XX is part of why that car handles so great, even if the drivers dont even know that is what is attributing to it. --- Ive never driven one.
Yes I meant rear steer.

I agree the suspension numbers are all out of whack.   I would rather have 16-18" of good working suspension versus 20+" of crap.  The whole tire squish for added numbers is hilarious. 

Polaris has been developing the Pro R well before RG and company even starting talking about Speed UTV.   My friend say an early version in Glamis in 2019. 

The XX is great car. 

Wayne has been racing in the unlimited class all season.  The Pro R fits in that class.  Still do not know why people that run the unlimited class have not taken advantage of the rules and set their UTVs with external bypass shocks at least on the rear.   

Reactions: DTA
Was wondering if all those electronic shocks are worth it. Or is it better to keep it simple. Our sand dune group has 2 Canams in it the one that was brand new last year had a recall on the thing before he even got it out on his first trip. The recall had to do with the electric shocks.

I get that, I guess I am saying if anybody not just RG knew Polaris was going to deviate from the rules of UTV, other MFG would have also. 

I would say they caught everybody with their pants down.

Let's see what shakes.
It will be interesting to see what happens. 

The rumor of Polaris going to a 4 cylinder was floating around.  I would think Can Am already knew what Polaris was doing motor wise.  Can Am will probably be next to jump past the 1000cc barrier.   

Was wondering if all those electronic shocks are worth it. Or is it better to keep it simple. Our sand dune group has 2 Canams in it the one that was brand new last year had a recall on the thing before he even got it out on his first trip. The recall had to do with the electric shocks.
I think the electronic shock set ups are getting better with each generation.  Cameron Steel is running Live Valve on his trophy truck and so are some other racers.  It is where off-road shocks are heading. 

With that said I talked to the shock person I use before getting my new Can Am.  He said the Can Am set up is nice, but it not quite there yes.  So I opted to not wait for a Smart Shock model.  

I posted in the other thread, there are some very large differences which do make a difference to the caliber of the vehicle and the quality of the drive.

Most notably:

Front vs rear steer
Can you explain the difference in how the car reacts and how the driving Experience is changed I've always had front steer I'm considering a side-by-side with rear steer

Back