Speed UTV

You don't know how much that satisfied me. It had to be done. I didn't care what I had to do. 🙂

My racing career was the epitome of budget. My 20 year old punk ass with $300 preps on my POS racecars going against guys with boo koo money. It was alot of fun and the experience gained was priceless.
I remember racing against your truggy and Baja bug out in Plaster City. You were the Pistol Pete of PC. Well, when I say racing against you.......we were in a Class 11 watching you fly by. And thank you for not nerfing us. 🙂

Reactions: DTA
Larry Roeseler - The all time winning-est baja racer in history. Racing for over 40 years in baja.

11th Place in San Felipe 250 2021https://score-international.com/raceinfo/overall-finish-order-2021-sf250/

And your point is?

For shits, here's me giving LR the horns with a flat tire. He still smoked me in the end though.

My point is, his results don't matter, what matters is the product he is developing. Going back to my statement previous in this thread, if he would of DNF'd it would have been devastating.

11th with the penalties is now a tongue in cheek insult.

If he would've gotten 1st there would have been comments about why were his times not faster.

Its all bullshit really. 

The peanut gallery has gotten old here.

View attachment 17023
Damn…Nerfing a true legend and having evidence to back it! That’s awesome! 

I know these weren't designed to compete in KOH, but I was thinking about how they might do.

I'm sur they would handle the trails and open desert parts just fine and possibly some of the easier rocky uphill sections, but I really don't know how well they'd handle the really bad sections, with the tall ledges and really big boulders. I imagine in those sections, they'd need to use the winch to help out.

I saw some footage of other vehicles in those sections (not UTVs) and I was amazed they managed to claw their way through those sections.

Do the UTVs have an easier course in KOH, or do all vehicles run the same course?

I know these weren't designed to compete in KOH, but I was thinking about how they might do.

I'm sur they would handle the trails and open desert parts just fine and possibly some of the easier rocky uphill sections, but I really don't know how well they'd handle the really bad sections, with the tall ledges and really big boulders. I imagine in those sections, they'd need to use the winch to help out.

I saw some footage of other vehicles in those sections (not UTVs) and I was amazed they managed to claw their way through those sections.

Do the UTVs have an easier course in KOH, or do all vehicles run the same course?
I believe the UTV’s run the same KOH course! 

I believe the UTV course skips a few of the sections the big cars do.  However, this past race there were 3 UTVs that ran  the Ultra 4 race and did pretty good.   Kyle Chaney and Hunter Miller finished 11th and 12th and another finished 21st.  

I would think the Bandit would be better suite for a race like KOH. El Diablo would work too.  I think RG said they planned on racing KOH.   

The class 11 crew at MDR was epic! I miss PC, part of the reason we sold the big cars. Too expensive to regularly race down south.

The last few years has been a blast with the X3 at D38 though! 

Kind of regretting my decision to change from Diablo to Jefe, but what the hell.

Maybe after the Speed cars are proven I'll order the RG race special. D38 is going to have a couple Diablos the first year, I know a couple guys who ordered. 
I miss FUD.

They run 80% the same course, only the BIG rock sections are bypassed. Like SandShark said UTV's do race the main race too.

Since my XX is so similar suspension wise I can a test to it's ability to NOT get hung up. The other UTVs all have that link setup and you really have to pay attention, when those catch a rock tip you're losing the race with busted links.  Just like your jeep video one bad line and you're hung up breaking parts, but in KOH that's 95% of the course hang ups...

They run 80% the same course, only the BIG rock sections are bypassed. Like SandShark said UTV's do race the main race too.

Since my XX is so similar suspension wise I can a test to it's ability to NOT get hung up. The other UTVs all have that link setup and you really have to pay attention, when those catch a rock tip you're losing the race with busted links.  Just like your jeep video one bad line and you're hung up breaking parts, but in KOH that's 95% of the course hang ups...
I was impressed with how well the 3 UTVs did against the Ultra 4s.  Much better showing then they did against the Class 10 cars in the desert race that week.  

The UTV race at KOH has come a long way from when they first ran the race. 

Be curious to see which model Speed UTV RG chooses to race at KOH.  

Be curious to see which model Speed UTV RG chooses to race at KOH.  
Yeah, that should be interesting. The 110" WB (El Diablo) he's stated is the "race car" but I think that applies to more traditional desert racing.  The 95" WB (Baja Bandit) could be nice in some of the tight/technical parts, but from watching KOH they have too many very steep climb/drop-offs where UTVs are regularly just about putting it on their lids (or actually are flipping).  The 120" WB (El Jefe) I'm not sure I see any potential advantage in, but WTF do I know about racing KOH?  Not much. 

-TJ

Yeah, that should be interesting. The 110" WB (El Diablo) he's stated is the "race car" but I think that applies to more traditional desert racing.  The 95" WB (Baja Bandit) could be nice in some of the tight/technical parts, but from watching KOH they have too many very steep climb/drop-offs where UTVs are regularly just about putting it on their lids (or actually are flipping).  The 120" WB (El Jefe) I'm not sure I see any potential advantage in, but WTF do I know about racing KOH?  Not much. 

-TJ
I think most of the Polaris guys were racing with the Pro XP which has 96" wheelbase and they seemed to do fine.  There is that sketchy rock ledge they come down that provides the entertainment.  

I would think the El Jefe would be too big for KOH.  El Diablo is only a 5" longer wheelbase than the Can Am and I would think it would work well.  

The picture that was posted of RG shocks looks awfully similar to the revolution racing. That small little top spring and the thicker upper plate that connects reservoir. Or has that been said already? Those revolution racing shocks were badass I tried so hard to get them but they were just way too spendy

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture that was posted of RG shocks looks awfully similar to the revolution racing. That small little top spring and the thicker upper plate that connects reservoir. Or has that been said already? Those revolution racing shocks were badass I tried so hard to get them but they were just way too spendy
Never heard of them. 90's tech or when? Kusters?

20 hours ago, Crusty said:

It did well, about what I'd expect.  I've rock crawled my RZRs a good bit, and it's def a different experience.  Obviously they like to carry a tire being IFS/IRS and you really have to learn to two-foot them and keep the clutch engaged in the rocks.  Most ppl that crawl two foot anyway, but aren't used to needing to maintain constant momentum.  It feels a little unnatural and leads to a bit more aggressive, bouncy experience than creeping through in a smooth, controlled manner like a "dedicated" crawler. 

-TJ

RG hasn't really shown his shock technology and how to adjust them. I would bet we could find the PATENT and figure it out. Those REVO shocks were miles ahead of FOX and KING when they came out, If I see a set for sale anytime soon I would get them for my Desert/Drag Jeep project.

Back