Speed UTV

Rick crawling takes a skill set and some balls that not everyone has. Much easier to pin it in an open desert section. 
Who's Rick?    :lol:

I suppose, to some people. I fall asleep before they get over the first boulder.

Does it really take that much balls to crunch your fender at .56 mph? Has anybody killed anything but a case of beer during one of these outings?

I guess the mad skillz show up while I'm snoring. I prefer motorsports with more progress, less shouting from people who aren't even in the back seat!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree that the Speed isn't targeted to the entire population, I feel you're not quite grasping what he was saying about the Speed shocks.

I think the internal design of the shocks are quite different from anything by Fox or King, so they allow for broader range of adjustment than either of those brands.

Back when Revolution Racing shocks were in production, the designer showed me the internal workings. Each bypass was a channel machined into the inner or outer housing and it was basically an external bypass with the tubes hidden between the inner and outer tubes.

This gave the external adjuster screws the ability to virtually turn the shock rock hard or wide open with very little damping.

The internal piston had ports, but it was almost blocked off and 90% of all oil flowed through the bypass tubes until you got into the end of the travel at both ends and then the shock tightened up dramatically - an internal bump stop.

RG hasn't shared the internal design of his shocks, but I'd love to see what's in there, I think it's different than what we expect.
His shocks are not magical.   It might have more adjustability with more clicks, but if the valving is crap you can adjust all you want it won't make much of difference.   There will be nothing earth shattering in the inside design of his shocks.  If had something so trick that no one else has there would be a patent on it. 

Him having free reign to set up the shock valving and spring rates the way he wants is were you the Speed owners will benefit.   Other bonus is he will be using a quality spring, where as the others use crappy springs.  

Other bonus is he set up the car so you actually have some ground clearance when the shocks are fully compressed.   Can Am likes to use about 1" of the earth.  LOL!!!!

The million dollar questions is why does he not run his shocks on his trophy truck, if they are so magical?  Yes, I know he has a relationship with King.  

Rick crawling takes a skill set and some balls that not everyone has. Much easier to pin it in an open desert section. 
I don't think desert is easier, I think they're just very different. 

27 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

I always thought this took a lot of balls.

As usual, you prove your ignorance and just have to chit on something if it doesn't fall exactly into YOUR definitions for fun, difficult, or a worthwhile hobby.  That said, you pretty much proved the point that it DOES take skill to rockcrawl by posting that doofus getting hung up in a section that ,dominictorreto>any rock crawler, any real rock crawler</dominictoretto> wouldn't even consider a challenge.  

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of just about every motorsport.  I've never done any sort of dirt-track racing, but honestly if I lived close to an active track I think that's the next thing I'd try.  I've done AutoX and Road Course at pretty competitive levels, and obviously I have done dune and desert but neither competitively (not that there's even a dune competition other than the one that shall not be named that only happens in secrecy by invite-only... cuz that's proven to be how you find the best: invite only competition you want, not an open event).   I've also done a ton of rock-crawling, but mostly as the spotter in the team... but I have a semi-competent rock rig now too.  

I can have just as much fun on a long trail day overcoming some gnarly obstacles and taking in nature (and mostly just getting away from people) as a dune day.  None of them have quite matched road course, but duning is the closest.  Rock crawling and trail driving are more of a slow, (sometimes) relaxing deal and more about the comradery than the "thrill" and adrenaline.  

WJDesk.JPG

-TJ

His shocks are not magical. 
Magical?  No.  But they are *very* different than what's on the market right now (not just stock SxS shocks, but in general).  Different doesn't always mean better, that'll have to be proven.  But his design creates way more zones for different valving than anything else right now.  That means more (and more difficult) tuning, but *in theory* would provide a shock that can be a better "jack of all trades." 

-TJ

I don't think desert is easier, I think they're just very different. 

As usual, you prove your ignorance and just have to chit on something if it doesn't fall exactly into YOUR definitions for fun, difficult, or a worthwhile hobby.  That said, you pretty much proved the point that it DOES take skill to rockcrawl by posting that doofus getting hung up in a section that ,dominictorreto>any rock crawler, any real rock crawler</dominictoretto> wouldn't even consider a challenge.  

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of just about every motorsport.  I've never done any sort of dirt-track racing, but honestly if I lived close to an active track I think that's the next thing I'd try.  I've done AutoX and Road Course at pretty competitive levels, and obviously I have done dune and desert but neither competitively (not that there's even a dune competition other than the one that shall not be named that only happens in secrecy by invite-only... cuz that's proven to be how you find the best: invite only competition you want, not an open event).   I've also done a ton of rock-crawling, but mostly as the spotter in the team... but I have a semi-competent rock rig now too.  

I can have just as much fun on a long trail day overcoming some gnarly obstacles and taking in nature (and mostly just getting away from people) as a dune day.  None of them have quite matched road course, but duning is the closest.  Rock crawling and trail driving are more of a slow, (sometimes) relaxing deal and more about the comradery than the "thrill" and adrenaline.  

View attachment 17017

-TJ
Relax. I'm just trolling. We can't let all of the Robby haters have all of the fun, can we? 

It doesn't interest me, but that doesn't mean anything, I know a lot of people who really enjoy it and have modified their rides for better performance. 

As over the top as my trolling was, I'm surprised you took the bait. The others...

well, catch and release.

His shocks are not magical.   It might have more adjustability with more clicks, but if the valving is crap you can adjust all you want it won't make much of difference.   There will be nothing earth shattering in the inside design of his shocks.  If had something so trick that no one else has there would be a patent on it. 

Him having free reign to set up the shock valving and spring rates the way he wants is were you the Speed owners will benefit.   Other bonus is he will be using a quality spring, where as the others use crappy springs.  

Other bonus is he set up the car so you actually have some ground clearance when the shocks are fully compressed.   Can Am likes to use about 1" of the earth.  LOL!!!!

The million dollar questions is why does he not run his shocks on his trophy truck, if they are so magical?  Yes, I know he has a relationship with King.  
See TJ's post above.

I believe he has patented them, along with a lot of other innovations on the Speed. That's why he says the competition won't be able to keep up - he's patented the best practices and other methods won't measure up.

I don't think RG runs King shocks on his trophy truck. He designed his own shocks a while back and the Speed shocks are a smaller copy of his trophy truck shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax. I'm just trolling. We can't let all of the Robby haters have all of the fun, can we? 

It doesn't interest me, but that doesn't mean anything, I know a lot of people who really enjoy it and have modified their rides for better performance. 

As over the top as my trolling was, I'm surprised you took the bait. The others...

well, catch and release.
But, is it trolling if it's *all* you do, or does that just make you a...

-TJ

But, is it trolling if it's *all* you do, or does that just make you a...

-TJ
I usually don't troll much, but considering how many haters are in this thread, I'm making an exception here. I think it's worth it.

There will be nothing earth shattering in the inside design of his shocks.  If had something so trick that no one else has there would be a patent on it. 

The million dollar questions is why does he not run his shocks on his trophy truck, if they are so magical?  
Ummm....

Firstly,  he does have patents on the shocks.

Secondly, he used his TT shocks to develop the UTV shocks. (similar to the bulkhead, similar and improved for the application). Robby has been running his own shocks on his TT for years now...

Magical?  No.  But they are *very* different than what's on the market right now (not just stock SxS shocks, but in general).  Different doesn't always mean better, that'll have to be proven.  But his design creates way more zones for different valving than anything else right now.  That means more (and more difficult) tuning, but *in theory* would provide a shock that can be a better "jack of all trades." 

-TJ
Do you have picture of what is inside the shocks that is so drastically different?   I will stand by what I said - his shocks are not magical.   

If his shocks were so far ahead of all the others, you would think he would be using them on his trophy truck.

Do you have picture of what is inside the shocks that is so drastically different?   I will stand by what I said - his shocks are not magical.   

If his shocks were so far ahead of all the others, you would think he would be using them on his trophy truck.
For the THIRD TIME - HE IS!!!

:lol:

Ummm....

Firstly,  he does have patents on the shocks.

Secondly, he used his TT shocks to develop the UTV shocks. (similar to the bulkhead, similar and improved for the application). Robby has been running his own shocks on his TT for years now...
Interesting - I was under the impression he has a deal with King hence why there is a King logo on his truck.  So the King shocks he runs on his truck no other person can get from King?

I stand corrected - he runs his shock with a King logo on them.  

Oh nevermind - Robby invented off-road shocks and no other shock manufacture or tuner knows as much as Robby.   LOL!!!!!
If all you do is troll, does that make you a...

Think that relationship with King is with SST trucks currently.  Running one of his shocks per wheel on the TT. Mark Post has been testing the Riviera truck, rumor is it’s running the 1000. Looks like it’s still running RG shocks. 

Unicorn rear shock

AA4F19F5-A7DC-417C-8651-7D8B31E99A4A.jpeg

ED4CE674-8718-4F1E-8271-938683DD8222.jpeg

99% sure he runs his shocks on the front of the unicorn, and also on the back of the unicorn. Along with a King bypass on the rear. Front no bypass.

All of his old truck at some point in time ran his shocks only. 

Sometimes he would swap back and forth over the years to a King package with a C/O and bypass.
That would make sense.   All I have seen is the King bypass and King stuff on his shocks on his truck

If all you do is troll, does that make you a...
Not trolling at all.  You think Robby walks on water and everything he does is magical.  I just don't think his shocks are something magical.   I can accept when I am wrong, you just like to dig the hole deeper when you are wrong.   

I already said he has an advantage with being able to set up his shocks more for a specific target.  Which is a win win for the Speed UTV owners. 

Since you know all that is Robby explain what he does that is so drastically different or better than other shock manufacturers.   

Back