Speed UTV

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

He forgot to put in the jump of the person that won the event.     Looks like they also aired out the race UTV, not the production one.   Shock Valving playing a role.  

I think they should let Al McBeth drive it and do the jump

Damn he was hauling ass

4 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

He forgot to put in the jump of the person that won the event.     Looks like they also aired out the race UTV, not the production one.   Shock Valving playing a role.  

Just a heads up this was the UTV takeover in Oklahoma, not Sand Hollow from this past weekend. 

Just a heads up this was the UTV takeover in Oklahoma, not Sand Hollow from this past weekend. 
Speed jumping was at Sand Hallow.  I had friends at the event. 

i assume your talking about the jump Al McBeth did.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Built YXZ winning jump at 153’ . Robby hit 117’ . 30913202-9FA4-4840-9BAC-CB065AC26080.jpegBA3D34D9-A5F6-49D6-A752-2874814102ED.jpeg

1783B922-7992-4C3A-83D5-7CE7D851D81A.jpeg

Pretty much.   

Saw some video of the Speed cars doing some trail riding out in Utah.  Good to see them doing more testing in different conditions.  
As Ive said before I would like to see how well it crawls. I know the car is more purpose built for open desert but sense it is 4wd I would like to see how well that works. I guess just see how well rounded the car is? Not owning a CanAm I can’t speak on them. As for my XPT, stock out of the box,  it does good in the dunes but doesn’t shine, it works pretty good in the open desert but suspension is lacking, but the damn thing crawls like no other! The wheel base on the 2 seat seems perfect, the visibility is great with the front end shorter and sitting higher, almost like this is its real home. 
Please note I said stock out of the box. If you did clutching and tunes the car would be better in the dunes and if I sent the suspension out it would work way better in the dunes and open desert. Just wondering how the cars work in all terrains stock.

As Ive said before I would like to see how well it crawls. I know the car is more purpose built for open desert but sense it is 4wd I would like to see how well that works. I guess just see how well rounded the car is? Not owning a CanAm I can’t speak on them. As for my XPT, stock out of the box,  it does good in the dunes but doesn’t shine, it works pretty good in the open desert but suspension is lacking, but the damn thing crawls like no other! The wheel base on the 2 seat seems perfect, the visibility is great with the front end shorter and sitting higher, almost like this is its real home. 
Please note I said stock out of the box. If you did clutching and tunes the car would be better in the dunes and if I sent the suspension out it would work way better in the dunes and open desert. Just wondering how the cars work in all terrains stock.
From the video I saw it looked like it was doing good.  They were not doing any crazy technical rock crawling like you would see in Johnson Valley.  It would definitely be a trail that most owners would encounter.     

I really don't do any technical rock crawling.  The most technical I have done in an X3 was trail called the Miller Jeep trail in Fraiser Park.  It only has a few nasty spots and compared to the rock trails on Johnson Valley this trail is not overly difficult.  The X3 visibility is not that great, but the low gear does well on the slow steep stuff.  I am curious to see how the smart locker does on my new X3 as I have full lock and a rock mode.  

From the video I saw it looked like it was doing good.  They were not doing any crazy technical rock crawling like you would see in Johnson Valley.  It would definitely be a trail that most owners would encounter.     

I really don't do any technical rock crawling.  The most technical I have done in an X3 was trail called the Miller Jeep trail in Fraiser Park.  It only has a few nasty spots and compared to the rock trails on Johnson Valley this trail is not overly difficult.  The X3 visibility is not that great, but the low gear does well on the slow steep stuff.  I am curious to see how the smart locker does on my new X3 as I have full lock and a rock mode.  
The Smart Lock works very well.

I feel that a lot of people are underestimating the innovation that Robby has brought us in this shock package. The external adjustments, as far as I understand it, are fundamentally different than the ones offered by Fox and King.

I believe Fox and King have shims at their external adjustment while the Speed shocks may not. I am looking forward to taking apart my speed shocks for a closer look at the technology/innovation.

I feel that a lot of people are underestimating the innovation that Robby has brought us in this shock package. The external adjustments, as far as I understand it, are fundamentally different than the ones offered by Fox and King.

I believe Fox and King have shims at their external adjustment while the Speed shocks may not. I am looking forward to taking apart my speed shocks for a closer look at the technology/innovation.
That's my understanding as well. He designed these himself because Fox and King don't have the features that he wants. He designed his own trophy truck shocks a long time ago and I don't ever remember watching his truck and thinking, "He should take that thing to Walker Evans and see if he can get his shocks dialed in..."

I recall he mentioned that they have a lot of damping at nearly full compression, acting like it's own internal bump stop.

Finally, remember that all of his design decisions are based on best practices based on 35 yrs of racing.

As opposed to all of the other mfrs who are trying to shave a nickel off of every part so they can raise prices every year and the CEO can buy a third mansion in the Hamptons.

That's my understanding as well. He designed these himself because Fox and King don't have the features that he wants. He designed his own trophy truck shocks a long time ago and I don't ever remember watching his truck and thinking, "He should take that thing to Walker Evans and see if he can get his shocks dialed in..."

I recall he mentioned that they have a lot of damping at nearly full compression, acting like it's own internal bump stop.

Finally, remember that all of his design decisions are based on best practices based on 35 yrs of racing.

As opposed to all of the other mfrs who are trying to shave a nickel off of every part so they can raise prices every year and the CEO can buy a third mansion in the Hamptons.
that landing on the video looked pretty dang soft.....compared to the others, looked like a few back injuries lol

Built YXZ winning jump at 153’ . Robby hit 117’ . View attachment 16996View attachment 16997

View attachment 16992
Looks like that was a one and done.

Is there a prize for winning this, or do they tear up their ride and pack their seats up their holes just for bragging rights?

I do enjoy watching it and I'm glad not everyone's mother said, "If all of your idiot friends jump their toys off a big ramp, are you gonna do it too? Did I raise an idiot??"

I can confirm the Fox shocks on my X3 have shims in the compression adjusters.  

Robby has the luxury of valving the shocks to specific type of riding as the Speed UTV is targeted toward desert type terrain.  This will be a big advantage.   

The other manufactures have to give a vanilla set up that works somewhat for everything as there target purchasers are much broader in the type of terrain.  

I never understood the whole rock crawling thing. I think it's more boring than watching paint dry. You got one guy "driving" and 4 guys standing around yelling directions to him and he moves about 1 ft every 2 minutes, often falling back to where he was 20 minutes ago.

No offense to everyone who loves the sport, it's just not my cup of tea. The easier stuff in Johnson Valley and the trails are what I like. I do enjoy the rock bashing videos, but mostly for the carnage.

The Speed isn't the perfect all around vehicle, but it does what I like to do.

Looks like that was a one and done.

Is there a prize for winning this, or do they tear up their ride and pack their seats up their holes just for bragging rights?

I do enjoy watching it and I'm glad not everyone's mother said, "If all of your idiot friends jump their toys off a big ramp, are you gonna do it too? Did I raise an idiot??"
I think they get bragging rights.  Kind of like the people that do the Swing Set jump in Glamis or back in the old days the double behind Olds. 

I never understood the whole rock crawling thing. I think it's more boring than watching paint dry. You got one guy "driving" and 4 guys standing around yelling directions to him and he moves about 1 ft every 2 minutes, often falling back to where he was 20 minutes ago.

No offense to everyone who loves the sport, it's just not my cup of tea. The easier stuff in Johnson Valley and the trails are what I like. I do enjoy the rock bashing videos, but mostly for the carnage.

I agree the slow technical rock crawling stuff does not look like much fun.     

I too like the easier stuff in JV.   JV is a fun place as it offers a variety of stuff.  But after KOH the whoops in some areas are brutal and go on for days.  Last May when we were out there you could tell when you were on the open desert areas of the race course. 

I can confirm the Fox shocks on my X3 have shims in the compression adjusters.  

Robby has the luxury of valving the shocks to specific type of riding as the Speed UTV is targeted toward desert type terrain.  This will be a big advantage.   

The other manufactures have to give a vanilla set up that works somewhat for everything as there target purchasers are much broader in the type of terrain.  
While I agree that the Speed isn't targeted to the entire population, I feel you're not quite grasping what he was saying about the Speed shocks.

I think the internal design of the shocks are quite different from anything by Fox or King, so they allow for broader range of adjustment than either of those brands.

Back when Revolution Racing shocks were in production, the designer showed me the internal workings. Each bypass was a channel machined into the inner or outer housing and it was basically an external bypass with the tubes hidden between the inner and outer tubes.

This gave the external adjuster screws the ability to virtually turn the shock rock hard or wide open with very little damping.

The internal piston had ports, but it was almost blocked off and 90% of all oil flowed through the bypass tubes until you got into the end of the travel at both ends and then the shock tightened up dramatically - an internal bump stop.

RG hasn't shared the internal design of his shocks, but I'd love to see what's in there, I think it's different than what we expect.

Rick crawling takes a skill set and some balls that not everyone has. Much easier to pin it in an open desert section. 

Back