Speed UTV

Suspension looked good in the whoops in that video.  I wonder how fast they were going.    Glad they are finally out doing more testing.

Would be cool if they took them to Baja to do some of the pre-running for the 1000.  Those would be some really good test miles to throw on the car. 
It would be cool!

Too bad the race schedule is 1k, then 250, then 500. If it was 250, 500 then 1k, it might be more tempting to race them. 

What's encouraging is Justin Smith said a while ago he took his XX down to Baja, preran the 500 twice at an average speed that was about the same as race speed and they didn't have any failures on the course. They did have an axle fall out before they started, but he chalked it up to being improperly installed, which was a known problem on the early ones.

I have even higher expectations of the Speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 hour ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

It would be cool!

Too bad the race schedule is 1k, then 250, then 500. If it was 250, 500 then 1k, it might be more tempting to race them. 

What's encouraging is Justin Smith said a while ago he took his XX down to Baja, preran the 500 twice at an average speed that was about the same as race speed and they didn't have any failures on the course. They did have an axle fall out before they started, but he chalked it up to being improperly installed, which was a known problem on the early ones.

Higher expectations means you could be disappointed. 

Higher expectations means you could be disappointed. 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Honestly, I think I might have more faith in RG's suspension design than he does. He was certainly more conservative with it at the UTVWC than I would have been.

If it was my design, I would push one to the point of failure, if possible, just to see just how tough it really is.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Honestly, I think I might have more faith in RG's suspension design than he does. He was certainly more conservative with it at the UTVWC than I would have been.

If it was my design, I would push one to the point of failure, if possible, just to see just how tough it really is.
That was a rough course and the stock suspension set up all cushy would put a hole through the rear skid plate from smacking the rocks.   He did the smart thing in pushing where he could and not kill the car. 

That was a rough course and the stock suspension set up all cushy would put a hole through the rear skid plate from smacking the rocks.   He did the smart thing in pushing where he could and not kill the car. 
All he has to do is adjust the shocks to the terrain and speed.

This is a 1 purpose car just like the R will be until they add a Turbo. Not sure why the Speed UTV is being mentioned on a duners website. But it does make for good entertainment.

All he has to do is adjust the shocks to the terrain and speed.
He said he ran the stock tuned shocks.  The stock valving and set up is going to have limits in a race application and RG drove the car to those limits.     Max’s car had a race set up and did not have those limits.  

Max’s car looked like a lot more fun to drive.  

He said he ran the stock tuned shocks.  The stock valving and set up is going to have limits in a race application and RG drove the car to those limits.     Max’s car had a race set up and did not have those limits.  

Max’s car looked like a lot more fun to drive.  

Huh?

Both of the sets of shocks were the same stock Speed UTV shocks. They have external bypass adjustments that let the driver have a wide variety of tuning of compression and rebound. My understanding is, the internal valving is setup so that the shock is about right for most situations with the external adjustments set to mid range.

If you need/want it stiffer for harsher terrain or faster driving, you can turn it tighter, if you need/want it softer for a more comfortable ride, adjust it softer.

There should be plenty of adjustability in the stock shocks to set it to a stiff enough setting to handle that course at higher speeds. When I spoke to Todd Romano at the SSSS, he specifically mentioned that Robby sets his shocks up softer than the average person, due to his driving style. 

They could have made minor adjustments with the external adjusters prior to the race to easily allow him to drive the course at faster race speeds, if he chose to. He decided not to push it and just finish.

That's one of the many advantages of a Speed. You don't have to take your shocks off and send them to Shock Therapy and get them revalved and resprung for $3,000. Just adjust the widely adjustable external adjuster to your terrain needs/driving style.

Robby Gordon forgot more about shock tuning than CanAm ever knew. That's why he keeps showing videos of his car floating over the whoops with the car and driver getting a nice smooth ride and the tires dancing. To show people just how supple the suspension is. Sure, Shock Therapy does wonders for crappy shock/spring setups from the factory, but you get an even higher level of suspension expertise from Speed UTV at no extra charge.

That's why I posted that video of Justin Smith saying it will cost far less to race a Speed than the $120k-$140k it costs to basically gut and rebuild a CanAm. The  Speed parts are already better, beefier than any aftermarket race parts made for the competition, at any cost.

Huh?

Both of the sets of shocks were the same stock Speed UTV shocks. They have external bypass adjustments that let the driver have a wide variety of tuning of compression and rebound. My understanding is, the internal valving is setup so that the shock is about right for most situations with the external adjustments set to mid range.

If you need/want it stiffer for harsher terrain or faster driving, you can turn it tighter, if you need/want it softer for a more comfortable ride, adjust it softer.

There should be plenty of adjustability in the stock shocks to set it to a stiff enough setting to handle that course at higher speeds. When I spoke to Todd Romano at the SSSS, he specifically mentioned that Robby sets his shocks up softer than the average person, due to his driving style. 

They could have made minor adjustments with the external adjusters prior to the race to easily allow him to drive the course at faster race speeds, if he chose to. He decided not to push it and just finish.

That's one of the many advantages of a Speed. You don't have to take your shocks off and send them to Shock Therapy and get them revalved and resprung for $3,000. Just adjust the widely adjustable external adjuster to your terrain needs/driving style.

Robby Gordon forgot more about shock tuning than CanAm ever knew. That's why he keeps showing videos of his car floating over the whoops with the car and driver getting a nice smooth ride and the tires dancing. To show people just how supple the suspension is. Sure, Shock Therapy does wonders for crappy shock/spring setups from the factory, but you get an even higher level of suspension expertise from Speed UTV at no extra charge.

That's why I posted that video of Justin Smith saying it will cost far less to race a Speed than the $120k-$140k it costs to basically gut and rebuild a CanAm. The  Speed parts are already better, beefier than any aftermarket race parts made for the competition, at any cost.
LOL, Absolutely no way you are going to be able to get the kind of adjustment to suite all styles / terrains with external adjusters. It is not what they are designed to do. There will be plenty of people sending their shocks out to change shims etc.. as well as getting them re sprung. 

Huh?

Race valving is much different then what the production valving will be.  The production cars are set up for a cushy ride.  Even if he turned the compression on the high and low speed to full stiff I bet at race speed/conditions they are  still to soft for the hard hits in race conditions.

There is nothing magical with the Speed shocks.  You can do the same thing with the Fox Shocks or Walker Evan’s shocks.   They all have adjustability.  The adjustments only do so much within the valving set up.  

I can guarantee you the valving in Max’s car was way different than what RG had in the Speed Car.   Heck look at the video with the Dakar bound Speed UTV and see how much better the shocks and suspension performs over the standard set up of the Speed UTV. 

The only advantage Robby has is he can set up the valving for the desert from the get go as that is where the target customer will be riding.  The other manufacturers have to give a more vanilla set up because it is used all over the country.

I will take the shock knowledge of Tom Morris over Robby every day of the week.  I mean he only helped Ivan Stewart out and even Robby back in the day.  

LOL, Absolutely no way you are going to be able to get the kind of adjustment to suite all styles / terrains with external adjusters. It is not what they are designed to do. There will be plenty of people sending their shocks out to change shims etc.. as well as getting them re sprung. 
Speed shocks are special.  They have a huge S on them and adjusters.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm not on any side of the SPEED UTV win.. lose.. 'debate' .. no dog in it.. never would consider changing my TH to get one.. kinda stuck in the Polaris family,.. fine with it.. I know what I'm getting into,... the good vs. the bad.. etc... I do have a good buddy who has one on order and I want to check it out... ride with it... ride in it.. maybe even drive it.. he knows I could buy it if I junk'd it... SO..... anywho... how many y'all saw this on FB..?

I think it's only been up for 8 hours, like 175 comments (99%) hating on the guy. Who knows why he wants to sell it... but it’s a free country and some baller might snatch it up just for fun… $35k isn’t diddly to a lot of folks I know who are off-road fanatics…

Peace.

abc

SPEED UTV.jpg

I'm not on any side of the SPEED UTV win.. lose.. 'debate' .. no dog in it.. never would consider changing my TH to get one.. kinda stuck in the Polaris family,.. fine with it.. I know what I'm getting into,... the good vs. the bad.. etc... I do have a good buddy who has one on order and I want to check it out... ride with it... ride in it.. maybe even drive it.. he knows I could buy it if I junk'd it... SO..... anywho... how many y'all say this on FB..?

think it's only been up for 8 hours, like 175 comments (99%) hating on the guy. Who knows why he wants to sell it... but I'm in a market .. my business. .. selling items at 40 times what they will go for (semiconductors) when the factories can deliver in 12-24 months.. my industry folks hate me for it, but at the same time.. . they're still buying.. 

Peace.

abc

View attachment 16856
That is quite a premium on the price.  

I call BS.. convenient editing? Sure plenty of built SXSs did that jump just fine that are not in the video. Saw they forgot to take one out.. I’ll find the ‘minute mark.’…

Seems the guys who junked it were going a LOT faster.. and bigger than the SPEED.

I don’t know why I can’t stop commenting on something I give 2 shatz about … but .. I’m still in ‘summer’ mode…

Need ACTUAL Glamis to fix this…

🤪

ABC

Here's a video from Sand Hollow. Notice all of the SxSs that are bottoming out and breaking their suspensions. I'm surprised more of them didn't endo.

Then watch the Speed UTV.

https://www.facebook.com/SpeedUTV/videos/414827673510073
He forgot to put in the jump of the person that won the event.     Looks like they also aired out the race UTV, not the production one.   Shock Valving playing a role.  

I think they should let Al McBeth drive it and do the jump

Haven't they said multiple times the Race UTV has the production valving? 

-TJ
They said the car RG raced had production valving.  I do not recall them saying the race UTV going to Dakar has production valving.  Why would some one pay 125K to build a race specific car to have off the shelf valving so to speak?  

Also if you look of the video of the pre-production car versus the race UTV in the whoops you can see the race UTV is soaking everything up much better. 

Back