Speed UTV

Here is the new Polaris Teaser for the Pro R coming out in a few weeks. Curious to see how it will match up to the Speed UTV.

I'm actually quite impressed with the Textron XX that Max drove. I know it was modified to be his race car long ago, then they added the Speed suspension, wheels and tires. Considering he started off in last position and worked his way up to 2nd before penalties, that's quite a feat! Was he the youngest racer in that class? That's even more impressive. 

I doubt buying a XX for $20k? and then adding the Speed suspension and wheels/tires would save any money over an El Diablo LE which used to sell for $30k, but it does show the platform has plenty of potential to be competitive for far less than $120k.

I wonder if his engine has been tweaked? It sure sounded healthy! Considering it was the only N/A engine in a race full of turbo vehicles...

pretty astounding!
You can still get a Diablo for 30k go to bottom of page: https://speedutv.com/

It will not have bead locks, better seats, belts or roof pan But still a great deal and only 1500 down. Now you wont see it this season for sure but 30k for more less what was raced last weekend. If your a sand guy your gonna want different rims and paddles anyways. Not a bad deal. Im sure the non bead lock rims would be fine for awhile.

I raced every night for 7 years.....

On the internet..😁

It really does bring into question the reliability/dependability of the vehicles that bypassed the rough part. Were the top five all taking the same route?
The top racers did not take the line. Phil Blurton is stupid fast in the desert.  Hell his Can Am he raced was his KOH race UTV, which has stock trailing arms with some welded in gussets.  

Here are the lap times:

https://live.utvworldchampionship.com/results/?p=view_race_result&id=3232974

I'm actually quite impressed with the Textron XX that Max drove. I know it was modified to be his race car long ago, then they added the Speed suspension, wheels and tires. Considering he started off in last position and worked his way up to 2nd before penalties, that's quite a feat! Was he the youngest racer in that class? That's even more impressive. 

I doubt buying a XX for $20k? and then adding the Speed suspension and wheels/tires would save any money over an El Diablo LE which used to sell for $30k, but it does show the platform has plenty of potential to be competitive for far less than $120k.

I wonder if his engine has been tweaked? It sure sounded healthy! Considering it was the only N/A engine in a race full of turbo vehicles...

pretty astounding!
The XX is a great platform.  I am sure the motor was tuned to whatever the rules allow.  The Yamaha motor stock in the XX put out 130hp.  With the long travel and properly tuned shocks in the hands of a skilled driver they do awesome.   

By the way the guy who came in second place Kaden Wells was racing in a N/A Polaris in the turbo class.  Max was not the only one. 

The fact the n/a cars did so well tells me it was a very technical course and no real areas where the turbo cars could open it up and haul ass.  

I am not sure that is 100% accurate.  It appears they were specifically told it was not an acceptable line before the race and that is why a VCP was place there to keep the racers from taking the line.   

RG is a savvy racer.  I mean he is the guy that once tore off part of his roll cage padding to try to get a caution so he could get back on the lead lap.  LOL!  
RG said that Killian told him that the wash was part of the course before the race. It's in one of those videos right after the race.

But if you don't believe him, well then I'm certainly not going to convince you.

RG said that Killian told him that the wash was part of the course before the race. It's in one of those videos right after the race.

But if you don't believe him, well then I'm certainly not going to convince you.
I know that is what RG said, but there are other racers that said they were told it was off-limits.  There was a reason a VCP was placed in that area and the reason they got the time penalty over being DQ'd.  Well it also helped that RG said he would likely not race the even again.  LOL! 

No matter the Speed UTV did what it needed to do.  Finish the race and get some more testing done.   

You can still get a Diablo for 30k go to bottom of page: https://speedutv.com/

It will not have bead locks, better seats, belts or roof pan But still a great deal and only 1500 down. Now you wont see it this season for sure but 30k for more less what was raced last weekend. If your a sand guy your gonna want different rims and paddles anyways. Not a bad deal. Im sure the non bead lock rims would be fine for awhile.
That is a great deal, and for duning, you're absolutely right, you're gonna want paddles and different wheels.

I was just thinking in terms of how much they spent to make the XX competitive vs what an LE costs now - $35k (still a good deal for what's included) and how much the top competitors spent to build their race cars which have few stock parts left on them.

That is a great deal, and for duning, you're absolutely right, you're gonna want paddles and different wheels.

I was just thinking in terms of how much they spent to make the XX competitive vs what an LE costs now - $35k (still a good deal for what's included) and how much the top competitors spent to build their race cars which have few stock parts left on them.
yes And from what CANAM and it looks like RAZOR 2022 are offering it may an even better deal if you are willing to wait.

I know that is what RG said, but there are other racers that said they were told it was off-limits.  There was a reason a VCP was placed in that area and the reason they got the time penalty over being DQ'd.  Well it also helped that RG said he would likely not race the even again.  LOL! 

No matter the Speed UTV did what it needed to do.  Finish the race and get some more testing done.   
A spectator said roughly half of the racers took the wash track, the same as RG and Max. IF the race officials made it clear it was off limits, why did half of the racers take that path?

IF they made it clear, why did they rescind the DQs RG and Max got, convert them to time penalties and include more people in the penalties?

To make it painfully obvious, they realized they didn't make it clear to everyone so they backed off of the DQs and included everyone who took that route in the penalties.

As far as what RG said afterwards, again, you're making sh1t up. He NEVER said he wouldn't race the event again. He said, "We're going to re-evaluate our entries in the future" or something like that. Of course you can interpret it however you like, but I prefer to not translate anything, just take it verbatim. It might have meant they weren't going to waste their resources racing a turbo car on this course, they would just drive a couple of XXs and take home everyone's doors.

How do you like that translation?

yes And from what CANAM and it looks like RAZOR 2022 are offering it may an even better deal if you are willing to wait.
Let me give some background.

In the Shock Therapy video I posted, Justin goes over why you have to spend $100k in parts to convert a Canam to a competitive racer. You basically toss everything except the drivetrain, and buy all new, beefier hubs, bearings, steering rack, rod ends, etc etc.

If you actually look at the new parts that cost $100k, none of them are as beefy as the stock Speed parts. Take the spindles, for example. The Speed unit has what looks like 4x the material where the upper and lower arms attach and double the material where the steering arm attaches.

Now I rarely say things like this, but I can guarantee that if you took all of the body panels off of the new Canam and Polaris and compared them part for part with the Speed UTV parts, you will see HUGE differences in size, strength, attachment methods, chassis triangulation, suspension arms, etc. even if they're selling them for $35k.

They might be a quantum leap forward for those 2 companies, but I seriously doubt they are apples to apples comparison to what Speed UTV is using for parts.

A spectator said roughly half of the racers took the wash track, the same as RG and Max. IF the race officials made it clear it was off limits, why did half of the racers take that path?

IF they made it clear, why did they rescind the DQs RG and Max got, convert them to time penalties and include more people in the penalties?

To make it painfully obvious, they realized they didn't make it clear to everyone so they backed off of the DQs and included everyone who took that route in the penalties.

As far as what RG said afterwards, again, you're making sh1t up. He NEVER said he wouldn't race the event again. He said, "We're going to re-evaluate our entries in the future" or something like that. Of course you can interpret it however you like, but I prefer to not translate anything, just take it verbatim. It might have meant they weren't going to waste their resources racing a turbo car on this course, they would just drive a couple of XXs and take home everyone's doors.

How do you like that translation?
LOL!!   

re-evaluated our entries = I don't like how you play ball and I am taking my ball elsewhere.  

Maybe RG can find an alternative line from China to get the parts needed to build the Speed UTV.   LMAO!!!!!!   

LOL!!   

re-evaluated our entries = I don't like how you play ball and I am taking my ball elsewhere.  

Maybe RG can find an alternative line from China to get the parts needed to build the Speed UTV.   LMAO!!!!!!   
He'll most likely get them made here in the US. That would be faster.

He'll most likely get them made here in the US. That would be faster.
If they did that what profit margin was left on the locked in price cars would be out the window.  Other problem is most of the manufactures that could make the parts here in the U.S. probably rely on supplies from China.  

Well at least he placed 11th, that's still pretty good for an experienced driver like rg.  

Imagine a year or two of development into these cars...

-TJ
Now you have my curiosity piqued...

do you see some areas that need improvement already? Or are you thinking over time the weak parts will be revealed and refined?

I'll be the first to admit I'm wearing rose colored glasses, so I'm probably the last to see any shortcomings!

Can't wait for rg to smoke this clown in his 🦄,  he will blow this ghayzer away! 

Well, when it finally comes out I'm sure he will. 

Only posting it again in case anyone missed it on the last page.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Now you have my curiosity piqued...

do you see some areas that need improvement already? Or are you thinking over time the weak parts will be revealed and refined?

I'll be the first to admit I'm wearing rose colored glasses, so I'm probably the last to see any shortcomings!
Any/every car gets better with development.  I imagine the biggest area for improvement will be in clutching/belt life, allowing racers to utilize more of the power potential of these motors - but nobody knows yet.  There has never been any vehicle produced, ever, that didn't have room for improvement somewhere. 

-TJ

If they did that what profit margin was left on the locked in price cars would be out the window.  Other problem is most of the manufactures that could make the parts here in the U.S. probably rely on supplies from China.  
He has said this many times: the whole point of doing this project is to build the best UTV without interference from bean counters and executives who know nothing about off roading. He mentioned his time with Polaris and Arctic Cat and gave the impression he never got to build them the way he wanted.

Of course he'd like to make a profit, but that's secondary. Besides, he made so much profit off of the Speed tool kits he sold to CanAm owners, he's guaranteed a profit for this yr already!

He has said this many times: the whole point of doing this project is to build the best UTV without interference from bean counters and executives who know nothing about off roading. He mentioned his time with Polaris and Arctic Cat and gave the impression he never got to build them the way he wanted.

Of course he'd like to make a profit, but that's secondary. Besides, he made so much profit off of the Speed tool kits he sold to CanAm owners, he's guaranteed a profit for this yr already!
He has bean counters called his investors.  At some point those money investors are going to want a return on their investment.  Profit is still number one, they may have a lower expectation of what the profit should be versus the big guys.

I know one Can Am owner that did not have to pay for the Speed tool kit, so he lost out on some profit.  LOL!

RG better hurry up as Polaris just dropped a sweet video of the Pro R and it will be in dealer by the end of next month or December. 

Back