Speed UTV

Dang sounds like Max may be getting a DQ. Missed some check points. Sucks. Feel bad for him. Little guy fought hard. 

they look to have been served he got 37 on there scoring system. I dont know how they could put him back that far lloked like less then 10 cars finished. 

Giving praise to them is pretty funny if you ask me. My nephews buddy raced a naturally aspirated RS1 on Friday and was only 10 seconds off the best lap time for the turbo XP PRO. The kids like 14 years old! Oh ya, his stock Polaris steering knuckles held up just fine! Question, did any CanAms front ends fall off or any RZR’s burn down during this race? 

RG was in the Gray prototype El Diablo. His kid did real good racing against other turbo big boy/name cars!! Hopefully they’ll overturn the DQ. 

Hold on. 

Your nephews buddy raced on "Friday"? He "almost" got "best lap"?

I remember my first campfire story I told... "I was in 1st place...when I broke."

Have you ever raced in the desert before? Did you read your post before you hit submit?

FINISHING on a brand new prototype car is a feat among itself in one of the most premier races for UTVs with some of the best UTV drivers in the TOP class.

Nevermind coming in 6th on time.

GTFO of here with your bullshit.

I was honestly expecting them to break. Their results were great. The pace was 15 minutes off a $150k car, which if I recall correctly Blurton is factory backed.

If you can't be objective I guess you will never see anything else.

Happy to hear your nephews buddy almost got best lap. Maybe in 10 or 15 years he can step up?
Lol! I just wanted to be the first to talk crap! All joking aside, everything you said is correct. I too was surprised to see how well they did with a new car. I expected them to have more issues. I do hope they weren’t corse cutting. It would have been nice to see how they finished straight up. As for the rest of my post, it was a shameless plug for the youngsters! My nephew is 11 years old and raced his RS1 on Friday along with his 570 and 250. He placed 6th in the RS1 but he races stock production so they were on a different track than the big boys. His buddy Mikey is older and runs in the bigger class. He was turning some damn good lap times for n/a versus the turbo cars. Pretty proud of them young boys!

So in comparison of Best lap time-

Desert pro:

Phil Blurton - 45:02

Max Gordon - 45:50

Robby Gordon - 47:08

UTV Rally and Sportsman Pro:

Mikey Kelley - 45:09 ( 14 or 15 year old kid )

Before you say anything, no he did not finish this year. He lost the throttle position sensor and DNF’d. Why I am excited and proud for him is his lap time. In a n/a car turning better lap times than turbo Pro’s! I realize you have to finish to win a race but still very proud!

Giving praise to them is pretty funny if you ask me. My nephews buddy raced a naturally aspirated RS1 on Friday and was only 10 seconds off the best lap time for the turbo XP PRO. The kids like 14 years old! Oh ya, his stock Polaris steering knuckles held up just fine! Question, did any CanAms front ends fall off or any RZR’s burn down during this race? 
I was not there but some of the live chat posted on the Live you tube broadcast did say some front end and rear end were pretty beat up and broken off. I wish they would have had a helicopter filming. The show was more talk by far, then showing the action out on the course. live tracking had some glitches too but worth watching.

It's a little deceiving comparing times of 2 different races, on 2 different days with 2 different classes.

If he is that fast why is he sandbagging the RS1 class and not entered into the turbo class like Max Gordon?

For a hint, the course conditions change drastically day to day after cars have been racing on then.

Another hint, check out the lap time as the day progressed even in your buddies race.

Either way this thread is about the Speed cars. 

Where is Buff to tell us these cars suck and we all got ripped off?
I completely agree with what your saying. Still damn good lap times for a kid vs the pro’s. Back to the Speed, they showed up, they finished, regardless of the outcome for them, it was a good showing for the car. I’m sure next year will be the real deal.

Cheaters gonna cheat you out of your money and mile 22-24 of the race course :cheff:

Lol, they both ran good and it’s huge for them to have finished because that course was nasty. Speaks volumes for those cars

And as far as the kid in the rs1, he’s very fast and has a bright future. Problem with desert racing is you can’t be fast for the first 25 miles then not finish the last 100.  

I think you're missing the most important part: the suspension. If the suspension is crap, the driver can't control the car, regardless of how good he is. He also can't get the power to the ground, no matter how much he has.

Ideally, all 3 should be balanced - suspension tune, driver skill and power. Maybe the suspension is a little bit bigger of a variable, if a guy had an amazing suspension, enough power - it might cover up some mistakes he made as a driver, or he might be able to keep up with with more talented drivers.

I do agree with you, it looks like all of the turbo SxSs have plenty of power for everything except hill shooting. 
A good driver drives within the limits of the car and maximizes its speed at all times. Car can’t handle something? A good driver won’t make the car do it. 

Hamfisted driver with huge balls and no talent will be held back by the car, then piss and moan how it didn’t do what he wanted it to do. Talented one figures out it’s strengths and weaknesses, the maximizes exposure to the strengths, minimizes its exposure to weakness. 

All cars will have compromises. Doesn’t matter who made it. 

A good driver drives within the limits of the car and maximizes its speed at all times. Car can’t handle something? A good driver won’t make the car do it. 

Hamfisted driver with huge balls and no talent will be held back by the car, then piss and moan how it didn’t do what he wanted it to do. Talented one figures out it’s strengths and weaknesses, the maximizes exposure to the strengths, minimizes its exposure to weakness. 

All cars will have compromises. Doesn’t matter who made it. 
Agreed, a good driver doesn't drive beyond his car's limits. He also won't win against a car with a better suspension and a good driver. Notice I put driver skill as 1/3 of the equation? Let me put it a different way.

If you raced your CanAm against RG driving a stock Rhino, don't be so sure it's your talent that's making the difference. Even RG couldn't drive a Rhino well enough to beat you in this race. (Unless I'm giving you too much credit, LOL)

A well tuned suspension with plenty of travel makes a huge difference. I was pointing out that he completely ignored suspension setup in his analysis of what is needed in racing.

Agreed, a good driver doesn't drive beyond his car's limits. He also won't win against a car with a better suspension and a good driver. Notice I put driver skill as 1/3 of the equation? Let me put it a different way.

If you raced your CanAm against RG driving a stock Rhino, don't be so sure it's your talent that's making the difference. Even RG couldn't drive a Rhino well enough to beat you in this race. (Unless I'm giving you too much credit, LOL)

A well tuned suspension with plenty of travel makes a huge difference. I was pointing out that he completely ignored suspension setup in his analysis of what is needed in racing.
If we’re talking Rhino vs X3, sure. 

But I don’t think any of the truly race prepped SxSs have that huge an advantage. Some are marginally better than others in certain phases. No one will be sipping tea, pinky out, passing competitors. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I once got passed by Doug Polen in turn 9 at Willow Springs while riding a Ducati 900ss.  He was on an EX based Kawi 500.  I also once watched Stirling Moss go from last to 2nd in a 20 car field at Laguna Seca while driving an 800cc Austin Healy against cars with 3 times the displacement.  He was nearly 70 years old. 

Face it,  great drivers / riders can overcome a lot of shortcomings in their machines.

Back on topic, cool that they finished, so at least proof of concept . . .

If we’re talking Rhino vs X3, sure. 

But I don’t think any of the truly race prepped SxSs have that huge an advantage. Some are marginally better than others in certain phases. No one will be sipping tea, pinky out, passing competitors. :biggrin:
I would think so, they *should* all be pretty well matched, suspension wise, but...

According to the footage I saw, Max passed a turbo car like he was in neutral, driving an N/A car. Other footage I saw kind of surprised me how badly some of the cars were kicking up in the rear. The footage was taken from one spot, so you could compare the speeds and handling of the cars one after the other and I was surprised at the differences from one car to the next.

Check out this clip, it looks like they got video of all of the drivers twice (2 laps) from one spot. You can see the difference in handling and speed between them.

Back