Speed UTV

The Speed is heavier than a Pro R by a good margin, AFAIK.  A Diablo like mine with windshield, stereo, etc. was weighed at like 2900lbs. 

-TJ
Huh. They’re advertised as 2lbs apart. Whoopsie. 

Still hoping to see speed iron out the kinks but god damn. If you told me that I needed  to do that much maintenance for a consumer car I would be pissed. I understand racers know that they will be tearing apart and rebuilding the front ends and pivot points every 500-1000 miles but I want a toy not a headache. 
chit, I was getting 2000 miles on the most loaded heims on my sand car.  I suspect you could get that on the Speed car as well as long as they are replaced with FK heims and not Chinesium garbage.

On the weight, the car I mentioned is optioned like mine: Kicker stereo, heat/sound insulation, the thick skid plates, glass windshield, radios/intercom, fresh air pumpers, etc. etc. etc.  Still, they're heavier than any of us really expected, but when you see one in person you'll see why.  On the heims, yeah that's def a bum deal that the OE ones aren't high quality and are wearing out on people in ~1k miles.  There is already a full upgrade kit (aftermarket, not Speed) for ~$1500 that replaces evvvvverything and should last much longer.  No, we shouldn't have to throw more $ at these things, but also no it won't require heims every ~1k miles after the first time.  On the fact that the Chupacabra car has a new engine and trans, he's not the only one TBH.  He has a really early car, and personally I'm not at all surprised.  I've said all along I expect to end up with at least one MAJOR failure with the car, but I did the extended white glove warranty for that reason...

-TJ

On the weight, the car I mentioned is optioned like mine: Kicker stereo, heat/sound insulation, the thick skid plates, glass windshield, radios/intercom, fresh air pumpers, etc. etc. etc.  Still, they're heavier than any of us really expected, but when you see one in person you'll see why.  On the heims, yeah that's def a bum deal that the OE ones aren't high quality and are wearing out on people in ~1k miles.  There is already a full upgrade kit (aftermarket, not Speed) for ~$1500 that replaces evvvvverything and should last much longer.  No, we shouldn't have to throw more $ at these things, but also no it won't require heims every ~1k miles after the first time.  On the fact that the Chupacabra car has a new engine and trans, he's not the only one TBH.  He has a really early car, and personally I'm not at all surprised.  I've said all along I expect to end up with at least one MAJOR failure with the car, but I did the extended white glove warranty for that reason...

-TJ
Yep.  Heims are definitely stronger, but the tradeoff isn't cost, its longevity.  The other OEs use ball joints because they're a lot less maintenance intensive for their users.

Unfortunately, that's not how it was presented, nor parroted by others.  Ball joints were a sign of cheaping out (despite the very similar costs) and inferior.

One thing that the video is doing a good job of is bringing this to light.  A worn heim is super dangerous.  When they wiggle, they should be replaced, as failure is soon to follow.

Yep.  Heims are definitely stronger, but the tradeoff isn't cost, its longevity.  The other OEs use ball joints because they're a lot less maintenance intensive for their users.

Unfortunately, that's not how it was presented, nor parroted by others.  Ball joints were a sign of cheaping out (despite the very similar costs) and inferior.

One thing that the video is doing a good job of is bringing this to light.  A worn heim is super dangerous.  When they wiggle, they should be replaced, as failure is soon to follow.
You're 100% correct... but using a *quality* heim is also important, based on what others are seeing Speed cheaped out there, and the aftermarket had to step up to correct.  I don't mind replacing heims after a reasonable amount of use, as I agree with you: they are the right "tool for the job" on a SxS like this.  But, as others have pointed out, heims can last thousands of miles on full-blown desert race cars, so 500-1000mi on a Speed is unacceptable.  

I keep telling myself "it's just another $1500 to fix Speed's mistakes... at least it's not cage/seats/harnesses/doors/comms/wheels/tires/shock work/etc/etc/etc/ like any other SxS I'd buy..."  But at some point, it adds up.  I got in cheap, and so far am really happy with the car, but don't have nearly the time/miles on it to really judge its longevity. 

-TJ

chit, I was getting 2000 miles on the most loaded heims on my sand car.  I suspect you could get that on the Speed car as well as long as they are replaced with FK heims and not Chinesium garbage.
There is a company offering FK stuff for $1,400.    Not bad for a UTV that some faithful that are no longer in this thread said would need nothing  after purchase.   LOL!!!!!  

LOTD we are still waiting for that plate of crow!  LMAO!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're 100% correct... but using a *quality* heim is also important, based on what others are seeing Speed cheaped out there, and the aftermarket had to step up to correct.  I don't mind replacing heims after a reasonable amount of use, as I agree with you: they are the right "tool for the job" on a SxS like this.  But, as others have pointed out, heims can last thousands of miles on full-blown desert race cars, so 500-1000mi on a Speed is unacceptable.  

I keep telling myself "it's just another $1500 to fix Speed's mistakes... at least it's not cage/seats/harnesses/doors/comms/wheels/tires/shock work/etc/etc/etc/ like any other SxS I'd buy..."  But at some point, it adds up.  I got in cheap, and so far am really happy with the car, but don't have nearly the time/miles on it to really judge its longevity. 

-TJ
What you save on all the stuff you don't have to buy will be eaten up with all the various fixes. So far the cheapest fix are the pins for the tailgate.  Everything else seems to be $1000 or more.  

What you save on all the stuff you don't have to buy will be eaten up with all the various fixes. So far the cheapest fix are the pins for the tailgate.  Everything else seems to be $1000 or more.  
The heims are the only fix I'm tracking that I might "need" at some point.  I haven't had a problem with the tailgate, but just welding a washer on is a better fix than the aftermarket longer ones IMHO.  Still nothing compared to the $20k+ I dump into new RZRs every time. 

-TJ

The heims are the only fix I'm tracking that I might "need" at some point.  I haven't had a problem with the tailgate, but just welding a washer on is a better fix than the aftermarket longer ones IMHO.  Still nothing compared to the $20k+ I dump into new RZRs every time. 

-TJ
only $20k.... 

.... light weight

.. I have $30k-$40k in mine

-TJ
How much of that is can dump $20k vs have to? :biggrin:

man some goes go way overboard on "upgrades". I copy what @Rockwood is asking how much is have to -vs- want to for the bling factor.

My Rhino and XX only added lights (4"-6" hids, not anything more) and skid plates as a have to item...

Some of ya'll toys far exceed my daily street car or work truck in $$$

My 2017 CanAm X3 I really only needed to change the seatbelts and add a 6’ whip with a 1156 bulb for safety.  Everything else I have done is for wants.   

If your talking safety your looking at a cage, seats, and seat belts. That’s it for must haves. The rest is wants. Yes you can drop $2k in having shocks sprung and valved but it’s not a needed thing. I drove both my xp4 and my xpt with the stock shocks. Dialed them in the best I could and kept the nitrogen charge up. Yes they will ride way better if they are done but they aren’t a must. So that only adds another $3500. If you do a lot of night riding then you will need to buy lighting also. The stock lights are only good for slow driving. No manufacture to this day has a decent set of stock headlights. 

How much of that is can dump $20k vs have to? :biggrin:

man some goes go way overboard on "upgrades". I copy what @Rockwood is asking how much is have to -vs- want to for the bling factor.

My Rhino and XX only added lights (4"-6" hids, not anything more) and skid plates as a have to item...

Some of ya'll toys far exceed my daily street car or work truck in $$$
I'd say the following are needs in my book on any stock RZR I've had:

• Cage 
  • Seats
  • Harnesses 
  • Steering Wheel
  • Full Doors (or lower door add-ons)
  • Lighting
  • Supporting Wiring to do ^stuff right 

The following are must haves for me but not necessarily "needs":

• Comms
  • Fresh Air Pumper 
  • Shock Work
  • Clutch Work (in some cases, this does fall into "needs" but I put it here to be conservative) 

The rest are definitely just "wants":

• Exhaust/tune/supporting mods
  • Cooler and Storage solutions
  • Door Bags
  • Wheels/Tires 
  • Ride Command dash in non-RC models

When I say $20k min into any of my RZRs, note that none of them had aftermarket arms, aftermarket shocks (just springs/shocks/real cross overs/valving), stereos, windshields, or any real bling.   Obviously the built Z1-swapped XP4 I bought used had all that extra stuff (other than stereo) but that's a different story. 

$20k goes REALLY quickly just doing the basics. 

@tjZ06  have you been able to get out for some more rides with your Speed UTV?
Unfortunately, no.  This is exactly why I sold my Funco, at least the Speed is a much smaller chunk of $ just sitting there collecting dust. 

-TJ

Back