Speed UTV

Most issues seem to be with accessory belts, and belt management. Kyle lost another injector, and was working on replacing them last night.

Max crashed into a tree, and was towed to the stage finish by Robby. 

Some of the cars showing on the retirement list, are still in the race, but not racing any longer, they are just finishing the course out. 

As far as can be told, is that there are no issues with trans, motors, or turbos, but there is some clutch/belt issues that need to be worked out on the cars.
About what I expected.  It'll be interesting to hear about ECT and EOT as well.  The repeated injector issue is... interesting?  Perhaps wiring harness-related more than the injector itself?  

Still, like I think I called out in my ride review, managing belt temps is going to be the make or break for these things.  At this point I" not convinced it'll "work" in Glamis, nor as a race car.  For how I will use it in the desert it'll be fine, and the car is spectacular at that.  But, they're going to need to figure out belt temps if they want these cars to live up to what was promised...

-TJ

About what I expected.  It'll be interesting to hear about ECT and EOT as well.  The repeated injector issue is... interesting?  Perhaps wiring harness-related more than the injector itself?  

Still, like I think I called out in my ride review, managing belt temps is going to be the make or break for these things.  At this point I" not convinced it'll "work" in Glamis, nor as a race car.  For how I will use it in the desert it'll be fine, and the car is spectacular at that.  But, they're going to need to figure out belt temps if they want these cars to live up to what was promised...

-TJ
I wonder if they're running a low-impedance setup on those?  Thermal management is definitely more difficult with low-impedance injectors, both on the injector and the driver due to amperage (over 50a on opening, 20a-ish once open).

As far as can be told, is that there are no issues with trans, motors, or turbos, but there is some clutch/belt issues that need to be worked out on the cars.
That's actually great news. Good to hear. It's a lot easier to figure out clutch/belt issues than it is a motor or trans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most issues seem to be with accessory belts, and belt management. Kyle lost another injector, and was working on replacing them last night.

Max crashed into a tree, and was towed to the stage finish by Robby. 

Some of the cars showing on the retirement list, are still in the race, but not racing any longer, they are just finishing the course out. 

I believe there was one Speed car with a transmission issued following their qualifying run.   

300hp for the summer.  The time of year when most park their cars in the garage and watch their factory warranty slowly tick away.   LOL!

How does it work with them getting a 2024 certification presumably for 2024 model year cars and them giving the keys to 2023 model year customers?

300hp for the summer.  The time of year when most park their cars in the garage and watch their factory warranty slowly tick away.   LOL!

How does it work with them getting a 2024 certification presumably for 2024 model year cars and them giving the keys to 2023 model year customers?
I believe it can be CARB approved still, since the tune is generally for engine families. 

I’m curious  narrow the operating temps for the Speed Key are though. 

Looks like these guys got this done just in time for the speed key. They say it's ready for production and available soon.

FB_IMG_1715036553734.jpgFB_IMG_1715036723668.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they're running a low-impedance setup on those?  Thermal management is definitely more difficult with low-impedance injectors, both on the injector and the driver due to amperage (over 50a on opening, 20a-ish once open).
I was wondering the same thing......................................................................................................................... :classic_tongue:

Back