Speed UTV

Bummer, was hoping it would be something simple/easy.

How big are the wires/fuses on those fans?  Motors/blades look a bit undersized for the depth of the cores.

The angle of the radiator will promote air to flow down towards the trans/engine and bypass it, so if there's a way to seal that gap there, might help (the chassis tube will help prevent some of this). 

Is there anything to seal the sides of the radiator in the shroud, or is it just open?  Overall, there isn't a lot to force air through it, unless the shroud did that.

The hot side radiator hose looks too large.  Any coolant leaks there?

Hate the PS lines zip-tied to the cage, but that's common for this industry sadly.
Not sure it needs any of this, with no windshield there is ZERO cooling issues. The issue is an airflow problem. I think it needs a custom roof to solve the issue.

Not sure it needs any of this, with no windshield there is ZERO cooling issues. The issue is an airflow problem. I think it needs a custom roof to solve the issue.
Roof was honestly what I was thinking too, I wonder if NACA duct would be more effective than just going gigantor on the scoop?  I'm sure some of the efforts @Rockwood mentioned would also be helpful to get air going the right way and not reverting back into the cabin.  For now, I'm just taking the windshield off. :p 

-TJ

Roof was honestly what I was thinking too, I wonder if NACA duct would be more effective than just going gigantor on the scoop?  I'm sure some of the efforts @Rockwood mentioned would also be helpful to get air going the right way and not reverting back into the cabin.  For now, I'm just taking the windshield off. :p 

-TJ
I'll be out this weekend, looks like mid 80's, I'll be pulling my windshield.

Word, just figured it was something you’d want to get working correctly. Multiple ways to solve airflow, and larger fans would be the easiest by a long shot. 

-TJ
Word. Everyone in camp with waaaay more powerful buggies bas windshields. Most just run mondo fans, lol. 

Several Speed UTVs racing in the NORRA 1000 this week.   

So how many cars now delivered? Are they at 1000 yet? Motors holding up now? Sure has been quiet for such a big deal and game changer. 

161e9193-9bf3-485a-b4c7-481a60cd2d67-jpeg.292950

NORRA pic.  So, is anyone running their covers?

Related:

https://hbr.org/2022/09/its-time-for-the-u-s-to-tackle-patent-trolls

Looks like RG isn't alone in this tactic. 

"The impact on American innovation is devastating. According to one study, each year, patent trolls create $29 billion in direct, out-of-pocket costs from the companies they go after. Another study found that the companies that settle with patent trolls, or lose to them in court, wind up reducing investments in research and development by an average of more than $160 million over the next two years.  Massive amounts of money are being drained from the hardworking people who are driving our economy forward to instead line the pockets of wealthy investors who are offering no goods or services of their own."

"Over the long term, the USPTO needs to be resourced to handle the high volume of patent applications it receives and focus on patent quality, only granting patents when an idea is novel, useful, and non-obvious. On average, examiners now only spend 19 hours to reviewing each application. We must also improve transparency in the patent system so that the public knows who the true owners of patents are and patent trolls are prevented from misrepresenting their identities. But the director of the USPTO, Kathi Vidal, also has an opportunity to take immediate action that will substantially improve how our patent system functions and advance U.S. innovation. "

Dirtbags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Kyle Whitted is. He worked with an independent tuner, did some clutch work, and well thought out prep. He's running a smart, conservative pace and doing very well. His approach is smarter than the factory effort IMHO.
Kyle is running a smart race and backing it down when he sees the belt temps go up.   

The Speed team seems to be handing out belts to the team.  I think Max has blown a belt each day. 

Kyle is running a smart race and backing it down when he sees the belt temps go up.   

The Speed team seems to be handing out belts to the team.  I think Max has blown a belt each day. 
Kyle didn’t have a good day today. He thinks he has one cylinder not firing. Hopefully they get it fixed before tomorrow.  But yes he’s running a smart race. 

Related:

https://hbr.org/2022/09/its-time-for-the-u-s-to-tackle-patent-trolls

Looks like RG isn't alone in this tactic. 

"The impact on American innovation is devastating. According to one study, each year, patent trolls create $29 billion in direct, out-of-pocket costs from the companies they go after. Another study found that the companies that settle with patent trolls, or lose to them in court, wind up reducing investments in research and development by an average of more than $160 million over the next two years.  Massive amounts of money are being drained from the hardworking people who are driving our economy forward to instead line the pockets of wealthy investors who are offering no goods or services of their own."

"Over the long term, the USPTO needs to be resourced to handle the high volume of patent applications it receives and focus on patent quality, only granting patents when an idea is novel, useful, and non-obvious. On average, examiners now only spend 19 hours to reviewing each application. We must also improve transparency in the patent system so that the public knows who the true owners of patents are and patent trolls are prevented from misrepresenting their identities. But the director of the USPTO, Kathi Vidal, also has an opportunity to take immediate action that will substantially improve how our patent system functions and advance U.S. innovation. "

Dirtbags.
It's the litigious American way. Find a company or idea that theatens your company and sue. Nothing new. Business is business. Not ideal for the conservative party. The democrats, They just give away everything to everybody for votes.

Gee I wonder why people vote for democrats. 

Idiots

Last edited by a moderator:
They are having a terrible time, even Max and Robby. 
I was just reading that a 2017 naturally aspirated YXZ is leading all the speeds.. I'm not sure if that's a testament to the driver or a bad show for the speeds.

Are they having the typical belt, steering, turbo, electrical, etc issues?

Kyle didn’t have a good day today. He thinks he has one cylinder not firing. Hopefully they get it fixed before tomorrow.  But yes he’s running a smart race. 
Kyle's car was on a trailer again today with a down cylinder.  Hopefully it's just an injector again.  Heard he has been blowing acc belts during the race also.  Just not having a good week.

I was just reading that a 2017 naturally aspirated YXZ is leading all the speeds.. I'm not sure if that's a testament to the driver or a bad show for the speeds.

Are they having the typical belt, steering, turbo, electrical, etc issues?
Most issues seem to be with accessory belts, and belt management. Kyle lost another injector, and was working on replacing them last night.

Max crashed into a tree, and was towed to the stage finish by Robby. 

Some of the cars showing on the retirement list, are still in the race, but not racing any longer, they are just finishing the course out. 

As far as can be told, is that there are no issues with trans, motors, or turbos, but there is some clutch/belt issues that need to be worked out on the cars.

Back