Speed UTV

Sorry I don’t. I was on Boardmanvile IG. He reposted the Max Gordon crash from the Sand Scramble. I got caught up in reading the replies to his post. That’s where I ran across people talking about videos of Speed fires. I found one on dezertracer812’s page. They say he has a few but only saw one. It was also said there was one in Utah where people couldn’t get out fast enough and got burned pretty bad? 
There have been a couple reports of belt fragments catching on fire on top of the turbo. The belt housing blows the warm air onto the turbo to help cool the turbo, this seems to be an issue. Speed added a screen to this area, but it still lets small pieces thru.

As far as the Utah thing, nobody has ever been able to produce 1 piece of information that substantiates this claim. No news reports, no eyewitness accounts, nothing. So not sure if that is an actual event or not.

I hope Utah story is false bs, hate to hear anyone got hurt.

But honestly there isnt a mfg that can claim nobody has ever been hurt in this sport. It unfortunately happens.

There have been a couple reports of belt fragments catching on fire on top of the turbo. The belt housing blows the warm air onto the turbo to help cool the turbo, this seems to be an issue. Speed added a screen to this area, but it still lets small pieces thru.

As far as the Utah thing, nobody has ever been able to produce 1 piece of information that substantiates this claim. No news reports, no eyewitness accounts, nothing. So not sure if that is an actual event or not.
This makes sense. I haven’t been able to find anything on the Utah incident either. 

I don't know about this. When I was picking up my car, I was talking to Karla (who is my sales rep) about Chummins car. The issues he was having and that his car was sitting Coyne for month. She told me that she had not heard anything about it and that Coyen had not contacted her for parts/info. coincidence......Chummin got his car back the next week. 

I have no idea if what Karla was telling we was true or not, or if she got them to finish it. BUUUTTTT....in my mind, I got Chummins car back for him and he owes me a case of Pacificos.  :classic_ninja:
We both know that didn’t happen. 

Why bite your tongue? What’s your first hand experience with them?

I need to go back and watch the vid… 

-TJ
easy there Francis, From all the social media and complaints i see on this forum and others i would not give up my money for one.  Why does a person have to have first hand experience to make an educated decision NOT to purchase? 

easy there Francis, From all the social media and complaints i see on this forum and others i would not give up my money for one.  Why does a person have to have first hand experience to make an educated decision NOT to purchase? 
Are you  angry?  I might know someone who can help. 
1-685-9900

When I first saw that posted by the first two yahoos over on Race Desert decided to do some searching so far all I can find in the Utah area was a bunch of Polaris that caught on fire over the last decade. 

Seriously?  I believe my exact works were: "Why bite your tongue? What’s your first hand experience with them?"  I literally asked you to share your critiques of the Speed.  Remind me exactly how/when I judged your decision to purchase, or not purchase a Speed.  I put a deposit on this thing nearly 4 years ago, knowing it was an absolute gamble.  So far I'm happy with the payoff.  TBH what bothers me the most is you messed up the quote: 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:

A little walk around after some more heat cycles and a good rip.  To clarify what I said about the "new tune", this is the tune my Speed came with.  I was just referencing it being the latest Speed tune.  It definitely did some learning, or otherwise just allowed more boost after about the 3rd heat/drive cycle.  Normally I break all of my stuff in very, very easy.  This time I decided to put everything through a few heat cycles (and do the brake bedding I mentioned before) then start ripping it.  Generally there are two schools of thought on break in: baby it for a few hundred miles, or "drive it like you plan to drive it from the start."  This time I went with the latter, within reason.  I figure if it's going to blow up, I'd rather have it do it soon.  Once it started making ~20psi of boost the thing came alive and started pulling decent RPM (still a bit low, which I assume is because they're clutched for the Speed Key).  For as heavy as this thing is, it actually kind of rips.  It feels similar to my last RZR ('18 XPT Fox with all the Evo stuff but stock turbo and 91 octane) which was probably 1000lbs lighter.  Oh, and this is most (but not all... there are a ton of individual pieces) of the protective film off... definitely looks better with more shine and no swirls. 

-TJ

2 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

I can honestly say there is no way it feels similar. I sold my 18’ XPT and bought the 2 seat Pro R. My son has my old XPT. In a drag race he gets me out of the hole by close to a couple cars. Yes I reel him in by the end of the drags but not by much. This is a bone stock XPT vs a bone stock Pro R. If your XPT had an EVO kit, than it would beat me all day long. You cant beat power to weight ratio and you know this. Unless your car has come with a new style tune putting way more to the ground than all the previous cars, our cars should run similar with all the dyno numbers we’ve seen. I am glad that you’re enjoying your car. It’s nice that things seem to be finally turning around. 

On second thought, who am I to question your observation? I don’t have a Speed car. All of my observations are second hand from videos posted. My only comparison is my old car and new car. Sorry for the confusion, carry on!

I can honestly say there is no way it feels similar. I sold my 18’ XPT and bought the 2 seat Pro R. My son has my old XPT. In a drag race he gets me out of the hole by close to a couple cars. Yes I reel him in by the end of the drags but not by much. This is a bone stock XPT vs a bone stock Pro R. If your XPT had an EVO kit, than it would beat me all day long. You cant beat power to weight ratio and you know this. Unless your car has come with a new style tune putting way more to the ground than all the previous cars, our cars should run similar with all the dyno numbers we’ve seen. I am glad that you’re enjoying your car. It’s nice that things seem to be finally turning around. 
I can honestly say, I have owned both.  

The '18 XPT had an Evo exhaust (Captain's Choice), all the boost/intake tubes, and their Stage II tune.  But, for a 2 seat XPT it was probably pretty heavy (aftermarket cage/seats/harnesses/comms/pumpers/wheels/tires/etc.).  I used to have a build thread on here, but when the forum crashed that was lost, but this has most of it: https://www.rzrforums.net/threads/tjz06s-2018-xp-turbo-fox-edition-build.486474/

I've had a lot of SxSs (XP900 with a high compression big-bore build, stock-ish XP100, '16 XPT, the '18 XPT, a '14 XP4 with a full Z1 setup at 40psi of boost HCR long travel blah blah).  I've also had a lot of rails (J35 Buggyworks, SCU Pro Bro with a high compression dry sump LS7 from my old race car, Extreme Double Throwdown with a TT LS1, Poter PX2 with all sorts of various versions of big-cube high compression LSs, BFD Revo with a Supercharged EcoTec, and the latest was a Funco with a 440cui 4.0L Whipple LS7 and an Albins).  I've had a ton of fast street cars too (4th Gen Fbodies, super-built C5Z, built '67 Camaro, Trackhawk, and even my current Cayenne isn't slow).  My butt-dyno is decently calibrated.  

The thing definitely felt way slower than the '18 XPT yesterday.  It woke up today, I don't know how else to explain it... and it's still down on RPM from where I expect this motor will make peak HP.  For as heavy as it is... it boogies.  Doubt it all you want, but I've done the exact same little test loops (or, drying off after washing loops) in the '18 XPT.  

-TJ

On second thought, who am I to question your observation? I don’t have a Speed car. All of my observations are second hand from videos posted. My only comparison is my old car and new car. Sorry for the confusion, carry on!
I should have read this before I replied, my bad.  But honestly, I'm surprised too.  

-TJ

28 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

I forgot how nice brand new machines (any brand) look.  My 2018 Canned Ham still works great but doesn't look new anymore  :classic_sad: .  TJ, maybe you mentioned it before, but is this mostly going to be a trail/desert car for you, or are you planning to dune it?

I forgot how nice brand new machines (any brand) look.  My 2018 Canned Ham still works great but doesn't look new anymore  :classic_sad: .  TJ, maybe you mentioned it before, but is this mostly going to be a trail/desert car for you, or are you planning to dune it?
I hope to dune it... but we'll see how belts last (that seems like a big problem already).  Living in Vegas now, I did want a desert car mostly.  FWIW I have tricks to keep them looking like this.  My XPT looked as good when I sold it as when it was built, and it had been covered top to bottom, left to right in mud.  Here are some vids I made for the buyer (a long-time racing buddy of mine):

-TJ

I should have read this before I replied, my bad.  But honestly, I'm surprised too.  

-TJ
It’s all good. There has been plenty of second hand knowledge and hearsay thrown about in this thread already. Just trying not to be part of it! As for your seat time, I would never question it.

Back