Speed UTV

I had heard they were close to 3k in weight but wasn’t sure. That being said. I am sure the E85 will help but I doubt it’s going to make up for that weight if you are trying to race up the hill but, we will see when people start running around with the speed key. 
Someone weighed a loaded (windshield, stereo, spare, etc. etc.) El Diablo with full fuel at ~2700lbs.  I was a little surprised I was expecting more like 2400lbs for the Diablo... though I guess stereo, glass windshield, spare, tool boxes, etc. add a couple hundred. 

-TJ

This / my sxs supposedly weighs 1700. And 200hp. I can't imagine a 2800 lb 200hp car in the dunes, Hard pack whatever. Unless I go back 50 years to my high school days and a 1600 vw baja bug at Ocotillo. 

IMG_20230404_113641437.jpg

HP to Weight ratio is critical in the sand.

Doesn't mean they cant mob the whoops, it's just at the hill going up there seems to be the issue, clutching and other items were said to be the reason...we will see.

Happy to see more folks gettimg them :cheers:

That speed weight must have been a loaded 4 seater .
2 seat El Diablo.  The chassis is the same basic thing as the 4 seater, just with a larger bed vice 4 seats.

Still pretty heavy for the power.  About the same as an Ecoboost F-150, and considerably lower than a 2017 X3 (first year offered).

Last edited by a moderator:
My SCU weighed 2300. Wow she's a big girl.

abc
Are you sure, you had it on the scales? 

My 5 seat DD with a 600 HP V8, S4 and 934s weighed 2700. WTF  ?

View attachment 99086
No windshield, no stereo I imagine?  

That speed weight must have been a loaded 4 seater .
I posted the pic of the Diablo (2 seater) on the scales.  Yes, loaded... no not a 4 seater. 

2 seat El Diablo.  The chassis is the same basic thing as the 4 seater, just with a larger bed vice 4 seats.

Still pretty heavy for the power.  About the same as an Ecoboost F-150, and considerably lower than a 2017 X3 (first year offered).
Not exxxxactly.  Diablo is a 110" WB and Jefe is 120" WB so slightly different chassis.  

I think people assume a lot of these toys are lighter than they are.  The Funco I just sold weighed in at 2900lbs and the thank wasn't even full-full.  2-seat, not an overly elaborate interior, No windshield, only a 2-speaker + sub stereo etc.  Of course, it was a Whippled LS7, Albins, etc.

-TJ

Are you sure, you had it on the scales? 

No windshield, no stereo I imagine?  

I posted the pic of the Diablo (2 seater) on the scales.  Yes, loaded... no not a 4 seater. 

Not exxxxactly.  Diablo is a 110" WB and Jefe is 120" WB so slightly different chassis.  

I think people assume a lot of these toys are lighter than they are.  The Funco I just sold weighed in at 2900lbs and the thank wasn't even full-full.  No windshield, only a 2-speaker + sub stereo etc.  Of course, it was a Whippled LS7, Albins, etc.

-TJ
Ah, yeah.  I assume a similarly loaded 4-seater will be in the damned near 3k range.

And yeah, no one weighs their chit correctly.  S4, LS with accessories, exhaust, 934 axles and radiator is somewhere really close to 1000lbs ish.  4 suspension seats about around 100lbs.  Rollers are somewhere around 300lbs.  Suspension and steering parts, 300lbs.  Shocks are 200lbs with springs and bypasses.  So ~2,000lbs in necessary parts before you even build the chassis out, fill the cooler with beer, tank with fuel, lights, comms, etc.  

So yeah, I think a lot of folks will get heartbroken when they see their chit on a scale.  

No scales, previous owner told me the weight. Maybe he had it on scales, unsure.
^This is the exact problem when it comes to the "weight debate."  Sorry, not trying to pick on you or be a McPenis, but it's so common for folks to post something as absolute fact:

My SCU weighed 2300.
Then a little digging uncovers it's 2nd or 3rd hand word of mouth from an unknown/unreliable source. Anyway, I think the current owner might have put it on the scales, I'll ask him.  But I'd bet the farm it's more than 2300lbs.  My Potter 2-seat came in at something like 2650lbs (NA LS, PBS, 934, 2-seat, no stereo, comms/pump, pretty large fuel cell, basic body, minimal lights, etc.).  

This / my sxs supposedly weighs 1700. And 200hp. I can't imagine a 2800 lb 200hp car in the dunes, Hard pack whatever. Unless I go back 50 years to my high school days and a 1600 vw baja bug at Ocotillo. 

View attachment 99087
It seems like the dry weight, no accessories for a current X3 RS RR is ~1700lbs.  You have a to add fluids, including a full tank of fuel to be comparing apples to apples.  Again, it just goes to my point that nobody seems to be actually weighing their stuff and comparing *real* numbers when they talk weight, and almost everyone is shocked how much their rig weighs when they find out. 

Also, the Speed is 225hp, not 200.  I've seen a ton of mixed reviews about the power.  Everyone running one of the later tune revisions seems happy with it, especially in the dirt.  Others have witnessed them barely able to make it up Olds.  I guess we'll see.  

-TJ

^This is the exact problem when it comes to the "weight debate."  Sorry, not trying to pick on you or be a McPenis, but it's so common for folks to post something as absolute fact:

Then a little digging uncovers it's 2nd or 3rd hand word of mouth from an unknown/unreliable source. Anyway, I think the current owner might have put it on the scales, I'll ask him.  But I'd bet the farm it's more than 2300lbs.  My Potter 2-seat came in at something like 2650lbs (NA LS, PBS, 934, 2-seat, no stereo, comms/pump, pretty large fuel cell, basic body, minimal lights, etc.).  

It seems like the dry weight, no accessories for a current X3 RS RR is ~1700lbs.  You have a to add fluids, including a full tank of fuel to be comparing apples to apples.  Again, it just goes to my point that nobody seems to be actually weighing their stuff and comparing *real* numbers when they talk weight, and almost everyone is shocked how much their rig weighs when they find out. 

Also, the Speed is 225hp, not 200.  I've seen a ton of mixed reviews about the power.  Everyone running one of the later tune revisions seems happy with it, especially in the dirt.  Others have witnessed them barely able to make it up Olds.  I guess we'll see.  

-TJ
Based on the videos of Robby's testing at Glamis (which I assume is completely optimal based on wagon circling practices), I'd call it adequate with the E85 tune.  You can see/hear him losing speed as he climbs after hitting the whoops at Mach Jesus, so its quick, but nowhere near fast.

Based on the videos of Robby's testing at Glamis (which I assume is completely optimal based on wagon circling practices), I'd call it adequate with the E85 tune.  You can see/hear him losing speed as he climbs after hitting the whoops at Mach Jesus, so its quick, but nowhere near fast.
Given the weight, I certainly don't expect "fast" in the sand.

-TJ

Given the weight, I certainly don't expect "fast" in the sand.

-TJ
In all honesty, when the talk of a 300hp factory key tune was proposed, everyone thought the Speed car would be a rocket. Now, watching video after video of cars out in the sand, the Speed car needs the 300hp tune to run with the other stock tune manufactures. This is only in the sand. The Speed car looks to hold its own on hard pack.

Back