Speed UTV

Sandshark is taking a shellacking over in Speedlandia. He who does not worship at the throne is a troll and a hater. I have been on lots of forums for lots of years, and I have never witnessed a group quite like that.
You make one comment about how they should be focusing on the engine failures and all hell breaks loose.  LMAO!!!!

It is so much fun over there.  With LOTD it makes it even better.  LOL!  That stuff does not bother me.   

SandShark is a true UTV Enthusiast, he has owned multiple models and has logged numerous miles. He cares about sport UTV as a whole and shares his opinions. 

I'm glad he has thick skin because in OHV Recreation, the amount of fanboys and nut swingers are the WORST in todays age of Performance UTV and Social media platforms....

Yore Wrong, RG is right.

#Speed Patent Pending 666182722
Thanks.

I

You make one comment about how they should be focusing on the engine failures and all hell breaks loose.  LMAO!!!!

It is so much fun over there.  With LOTD it makes it even better.  LOL!  That stuff does not bother me.   
It is fun watching their heads explode when you point stuff out. And LOTD’s just doing what he does.  The smartest man he’s ever met. 

I really wanted this car to be everything we were promised. 

Robby’s ego continues to get the better of him. Drop in an off the shelf engine for the first couple years and take your damn time to develop a solid reliable platform. 

I really wanted this car to be everything we were promised. 

Robby’s ego continues to get the better of him. Drop in an off the shelf engine for the first couple years and take your damn time to develop a solid reliable platform. 
I think in this case his ego preceded him and no one wanted to deal with the legal exposure of business with RG. He was forced to make his own engine.

Slap the Polaris Pro R motor in there and it would be golden. 
Gonna have it stick a foot out the passenger side? 

Did you see how much they had to work the steering wheel in that 2nd video.  I know they didn't mention it but that feedback looked crazy.  I was worried for one of the guys as he had his thumbs wrapped around the steering wheel.  Now a good habit if you are working the steering wheel that much.
I do agree you should never wrap your thumbs in any off road vehicle, regardless of speed or required steering input.  That said, I'm not sure the UTV world as a whole fully understands or properly uses the term "steering feedback."  Working the steering wheel != steering feedback. 

I would venture a guess the Speed motor is based of the Z1.   I would just be concerned with getting parts for a Z1 as Suzuki stopped making years ago.  Those Z1 motors were not great at keeping belts on the cars that ran them and those were light weight compared to a Speed. 

Pro R motor has no belt issues, clutching is great, and the amount of reliable hp you can get out of the motor is really good.  Motor is already set up of a heavy car.   A tune, Bikeman Cam, and exhaust will get you 300hp to the crank.    
Why would you venture such a guess?  RG made videos, literally for years going through the whole engineering process.  What does "based of the Z1" actually mean anyway?  It shares zero parts with it, nothing is interchangeable, and the design is actually pretty different (the cylinder has intake/exhaust on opposite sides as compared to Z1s, for example).  That said, yeah they're both 2cyl, 4-stroke motors that are around 1000cc so I guess that's "based of"?  

FWIW I had a Z1 in a pretty heavy car (4 seat XP1000 with all HCR long travel with the big Kings, windshield, heater, windshield wiper, SDR cage/doors, big/heavy 33" mud tires, etc. etc.) and agree: it wouldn't keep a belt on it in the dunes.  It had the really nice STM clutches, but if the engine ever ran right for long enough to try duning it, it'd destroy a belt.  It made 300+ RWHP at 40psi so a lot more power than a Speed (they dyno about 170) and I think the belt issue was a lack of clutch tuning (keep the engine running right long enough to do any clutch tuning never happened) but yeah... not a reliable package. 

-TJ

I do agree you should never wrap your thumbs in any off road vehicle, regardless of speed or required steering input.  That said, I'm not sure the UTV world as a whole fully understands or properly uses the term "steering feedback."  Working the steering wheel != steering feedback. 

Why would you venture such a guess?  RG made videos, literally for years going through the whole engineering process.  What does "based of the Z1" actually mean anyway?  It shares zero parts with it, nothing is interchangeable, and the design is actually pretty different (the cylinder has intake/exhaust on opposite sides as compared to Z1s, for example).  That said, yeah they're both 2cyl, 4-stroke motors that are around 1000cc so I guess that's "based of"?  

FWIW I had a Z1 in a pretty heavy car (4 seat XP1000 with all HCR long travel with the big Kings, windshield, heater, windshield wiper, SDR cage/doors, big/heavy 33" mud tires, etc. etc.) and agree: it wouldn't keep a belt on it in the dunes.  It had the really nice STM clutches, but if the engine ever ran right for long enough to try duning it, it'd destroy a belt.  It made 300+ RWHP at 40psi so a lot more power than a Speed (they dyno about 170) and I think the belt issue was a lack of clutch tuning (keep the engine running right long enough to do any clutch tuning never happened) but yeah... not a reliable package. 

-TJ
I agree with you regarding steering feedback, what's shown in the video is not feedback, thats a guy sawing away at the wheel. They also mentioned it was icy, so I'm guessing that was him trying to keep it straight.

I have a Speed and it doesn't do anything like that video shows.

-TJ
I got mine on Saturday. I went through the whole car. I found 6 hand tight roof bolts and one breather hose not connected. I have been almost killed because of bad prep and so I go through every car we get the same way. I felt the final assembly did a great job. With the exception of what I stated above every bolt was tight and marked. As far as the car it’s self. I am super impressed. The tube chassis, the welds and the Arms are what I would expect building a high end race chassis. The shocks are monstrous. My cars fit and finish is amazing, the car is absolutely stunning. All of my adds including my boom box worked great. The car is fully wired for every option even if you don’t get it, all the way down to the custom switch. I thought that was really cool. I put 30 fast dirt miles on the car on Sunday. The car ran flawlessly and had a ton of power considering it is a tank. I have heard 2600lbs but I am not sure what it actually weighs. She is heavy though. The suspension is by far the best side by side suspension I have ever been in. The car is absolutely planted. I was able to get up to 90 fairly quickly in the dirt. The car didn’t walk at all or buck at that speed. I actually was shocked when I looked down and saw the mph. The windshield and suspension made it feel like I was just cruising. I had zero steering feedback so maybe that issue is resolved in the newer cars. The car didn’t overheat even with the windshield. I know Robbie is not stoked on the windshield because they didn’t really design the car for it. It is funny, you can feel the heat vortex or whatever they call it with the windshield. My belt got to 190 on the 30 mile run. I went back through the car when we got back and didn’t find anything. This is experience as an actual owner. 

IMG_7199.jpeg

I got mine on Saturday. I went through the whole car. I found 6 hand tight roof bolts and one breather hose not connected. I have been almost killed because of bad prep and so I go through every car we get the same way. I felt the final assembly did a great job. With the exception of what I stated above every bolt was tight and marked. As far as the car it’s self. I am super impressed. The tube chassis, the welds and the Arms are what I would expect building a high end race chassis. The shocks are monstrous. My cars fit and finish is amazing, the car is absolutely stunning. All of my adds including my boom box worked great. The car is fully wired for every option even if you don’t get it, all the way down to the custom switch. I thought that was really cool. I put 30 fast dirt miles on the car on Sunday. The car ran flawlessly and had a ton of power considering it is a tank. I have heard 2600lbs but I am not sure what it actually weighs. She is heavy though. The suspension is by far the best side by side suspension I have ever been in. The car is absolutely planted. I was able to get up to 90 fairly quickly in the dirt. The car didn’t walk at all or buck at that speed. I actually was shocked when I looked down and saw the mph. The windshield and suspension made it feel like I was just cruising. I had zero steering feedback so maybe that issue is resolved in the newer cars. The car didn’t overheat even with the windshield. I know Robbie is not stoked on the windshield because they didn’t really design the car for it. It is funny, you can feel the heat vortex or whatever they call it with the windshield. My belt got to 190 on the 30 mile run. I went back through the car when we got back and didn’t find anything. This is experience as an actual owner. 

View attachment 98951
Love hearing it, and from our phone call the other day I knew you were really impressed.  For those not tracking, and because @DZRTRUN didn't want to brag, this guy has had it all.  From Racer to Funco (several of them, including 2 brand new builds... the newest being a full-on show quality build most of you probably saw at the SSSS) so we're not talking about a guy going from a RZR800 RG edition to a Speed with no other context.  

-TJ

View attachment 98951
Congrats! I am happy to hear some positive feedback again. Hopefully they got some bugs worked out and this will be the norm.

View attachment 98951
Thank you for the honest feedback and review.

View attachment 98951
Glad to hear you enjoyed it also from what I’ve been seeing on some of the other forums and guys have been weighing these they’re right around 28 to 2900 pounds. pretty heavy as you said. With that said everyone needs to manage their expectations in the Sand dunes. Otherwise they seem to be performing very well everywhere else. I was able to ride behind a four seater with two adults and two kids on Presidents’ Day weekends from Oldsmobile Hill out a few miles and back by all means they get around in the sand.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it also from what I’ve been seeing on some of the other forums and guys have been weighing these they’re right around 28 to 2900 pounds. pretty heavy as you said. With that said everyone needs to manage their expectations in the Sand dunes. Otherwise they seem to be performing very well everywhere else. I was able to ride behind a four seater with two adults and two kids on Presidents’ Day weekends from Oldsmobile Hill out a few miles and back by all means they get around in the sand.
I had heard they were close to 3k in weight but wasn’t sure. That being said. I am sure the E85 will help but I doubt it’s going to make up for that weight if you are trying to race up the hill but, we will see when people start running around with the speed key. 

@DZRTRUN

Thanks for posting your experience and it's great to hear early issues are not a problem. I hope that is the path forward on these UTV.

:cheers:

Back