Speed UTV

IDK if they're available yet (or ever will be) but the idea always was that Speed already had the right bars designed to make the cages fully legal and would sell the kits with the cut/notched tubes to do it.  Basically it's things like closing in the door openings and a few other gussets, not a whole re-engineering of the frame.  But, I guess it only matters if they run and make enough power to race, right? 

-TJ
One bar across the door and weld all the bolt together cage clamp connections is all I thought it was to meet minimum score and best  in the desert tech. RG models come with the window nets so if you get an LE you have to buy accessory window nets.

Last edited by a moderator:
One bar across the door and weld all the bolt together cage clamp connections is all I thought it was to meet minimum score and best  in the desert tech. RG models come with the window nets so if you get an LE you have to buy accessory window nets.
They ship them ALL with the window nets and will remove them from non-RGs if you don't want to pay for them.  I opted to just have them leave the nets on my LE. 

-TJ

Heger for sure beat Robby's time, but some of this is also due to driver, Heger is a beast in the desert, and if you watched Robbies run, he clearly lost some time in the rock section, he came to a stop and had to back up due to poor line choice.

If you look at the top spots in qualifying, most of if not all of them are rock racers and should kick Robby's ass in the rocks, which they did.
I thought Heger was a short course guy?

But word. My point isn’t so much that the Speed is slow, but more that it’s a different way to skin a cat. This thread would be very different if it weren’t for the constant Richard measuring by RG on how the competition is doing everything wrong because they didn’t do it like he did.

They ship them ALL with the window nets and will remove them from non-RGs if you don't want to pay for them.  I opted to just have them leave the nets on my LE. 

-TJ
SFI nets?

I thought Heger was a short course guy?

But word. My point isn’t so much that the Speed is slow, but more that it’s a different way to skin a cat. This thread would be very different if it weren’t for the constant Richard measuring by RG on how the competition is doing everything wrong because they didn’t do it like he did.
Heger is a Short course and Desert Class 10 kid, he's fast in both.

Heger for sure beat Robby's time, but some of this is also due to driver, Heger is a beast in the desert, and if you watched Robbies run, he clearly lost some time in the rock section, he came to a stop and had to back up due to poor line choice.

If you look at the top spots in qualifying, most of if not all of them are rock racers and should kick Robby's ass in the rocks, which they did.
Heger is not a rock racer.  He came from short course and does some desert racing.   Most of the UTV racers only do the rock stuff for KOH.    There are some Ultra4 guys running UTVs to get that extra time on course. 

Chaney races short course in UTVs and use to do Pro4 and Pro2 trucks.   

I think the most important thing for Speed is that they finish. Just finishing would be a good show for them. Rock isn’t their specialty so it’s understood why they would be extra cautious in those areas. Also, watching Max’s in car video, it seems he was a bit out of control at times. Maybe over driving in areas to try and make up time I would suspect. 

I think the most important thing for Speed is that they finish. Just finishing would be a good show for them. Rock isn’t their specialty so it’s understood why they would be extra cautious in those areas. Also, watching Max’s in car video, it seems he was a bit out of control at times. Maybe over driving in areas to try and make up time I would suspect. 
He rolled it during his lap I believe. 

53 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

That was my thought, but Sean at Weddle said it likely some Dog noise, and the belt slipping. He didn't think you should here the torque limiters since they are bathed in oil.

That was my thought, but Sean at Weddle said it likely some Dog noise, and the belt slipping. He didn't think you should here the torque limiters since they are bathed in oil.
If it was belt or dog engagement, the front axle shouldn't stop working when the sound happens, right?

EDIT

NM, rear tire shake looked like spinning.  

Smart man, why thrash you stuff that bad??????
Thrashing?  Sheeeeyit, don't hang out with some of my friends.  Bastards can break a steel ball in a rubber room. :biggrin:

If it was belt or dog engagement, the front axle shouldn't stop working when the sound happens, right?

Thrashing?  Sheeeeyit, don't hang out with some of my friends.  Bastards can break a steel ball in a rubber room. :biggrin:
well if it was the belt the front would stop working. I still think it was the torque limiters.

well if it was the belt the front would stop working. I still think it was the torque limiters.
Yeah, edited my post.  The rear tires shake, but don't spin, and the dude on the other side says "he's burning the belt".  Looked like spinning the first time I saw it.  Maybe he was in "2" instead of Low (1?)? 

Man the speed car makes some weird noises. I guess since they haven’t said it’s not meant to be a dune car in a while they can shift that mantra to it’s not supposed to be a rock car. 

Hopefully they have a respectable showing today...looking good so far.  Just how weird the gap is between the top 7 and everyone else. 

Back