Speed UTV

What is the reasoning to something like that in a race? Advantage, strategy  :dunno:
No advantage in a rock race taking a rear start.  Just going to get stuck in the canyons when someone messes up.   

Robby would do that when he was 16-17 in his car... great photos....but always broke 2 miles later. That stuff looks good but there is no way that car can take that the whole race. 
Chaney is a maniac and has one the race before.   One year he rolled and they got the car back on the wheels and forgot to put it in park and he chased his car and got run over.  He hopped back in and finished the race and either won or came in 2nd or 3rd place.  

He will be hammering that car in the rock race.   

I guess those stock uprights and upper arms are tougher than people thought.   CT raceworx is going to be selling a ton of those lower arms after that video.  

Been watching as well.  What I found interesting is the speed has no rear bumper. Watched a few bumps from other cars to move over. Not against a speed car but made me think Speed should have a push bumper on these for races.
Technically, they do have a rear and front bumper that is offered as an option. I would say neither one would stand up to either ramming somebody or getting ran by somebody.

With the dead tubes and lack of proper suspension geometry I kept waiting for the car to snap in half. 

son of a biatch just kept going!

but seriously, that driver has a set of brass balls on him for sure. Even in slow motion that had me puckering. 
That thing was not stock no way no how. Do it again and if it does it in a completely stock set up, I will give you my personal blessing. It’s not apples to apples man.

That thing was not stock no way no how. Do it again and if it does it in a completely stock set up, I will give you my personal blessing. It’s not apples to apples man.
It's Pro Mod, why would they use a completely stock UTV?  

The spindles and uppers are stock.  Lowers are off the shelf arms. Stock geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Pro Mod, why would they use a completely stock UTV?

The spindles and uppers are stock.  Lowers are off the shelf arms. Stock geometry.
All I’m saying is if you compare it to the two bandits that were completely stock off the showroom floor except for tires which is what they are claiming they are running and then you compare it to that Can-Am that flew off the rocks. It’s not apples to apples that Can-Am, I read in another post on another forum there’s nowhere near stock. I don’t know exactly what was done to it but I’m not making this up. If it was completely stock off the showroom floor then I’m wrong. 

The front upper arms and front uprights are stock parts.  Lower arms are from CT raceworx.  Chassis is done by CT as well.  Rear trailing arms are stock with S3 gussets welded on to them. 

The front upper arms and front uprights are stock parts.  Lower arms are from CT raceworx.  Chassis is done by CT as well.  Rear trailing arms are stock with S3 gussets welded on to them. 
So like you just said, the car is not stock, it’s got cages it’s got gussets, it’s got arms at the least. I would think they even did more to it, but in all honesty, I don’t know what was done to it I just read somewhere else it was not near Stock from people that were out there at the event. 

All I’m saying is if you compare it to the two bandits that were completely stock off the showroom floor except for tires which is what they are claiming they are running and then you compare it to that Can-Am that flew off the rocks. It’s not apples to apples that Can-Am, I read in another post on another forum there’s nowhere near stock. I don’t know exactly what was done to it but I’m not making this up. If it was completely stock off the showroom floor then I’m wrong. 
It'd be fun to compare the run through that section to the stock Bandit, but RG bypassed that section because it rolled there attempting a pre-run.

No one is saying it's stock.  But there are OE parts all over it.  It's Pro Mod.   These are the rules for the class:

Homologated Chassis with at least 250 Cars produced in Make/Model Year
1000 cc Max Motor Size limited to Homologated OEM Motors
Aftermarket Turbos Allowed
CCV Clutch or Gear driven transmission
80” Wide Max
35” Tire Max unless OEM Factory Equipped
No Portals unless OEM Factory Equipped
Aftermarket Chassis Allowed
Must use stock suspension pickup points

Reinforcing allowed
Must run full front plastics

Same class as RG is running, so it's apples to apples as far as the Sanctioning Body is concerned. No one serious about winning would show up in a 100% stock vehicle, whether Canadian, American or Chinese :bag:

It'd be fun to compare the run through that section to the stock Bandit, but RG bypassed that section because it rolled there attempting a pre-run.

No one is saying it's stock.  But there are OE parts all over it.  It's Pro Mod.   These are the rules for the class:

Aftermarket Turbos Allowed
80” Wide Max
35” Tire Max unless OEM Factory Equipped
No Portals unless OEM Factory Equipped
Aftermarket Chassis Allowed

Reinforcing allowed
Must run full front plastics

Same class as RG is running, so it's apples to apples as far as the Sanctioning Body is concerned.

I’m not talking about classes. I understand there’s a few classes there and you got to fit into one or the other what I’m saying is speed was taking stock cars and running them through the rock course course qualifying, Can-Am is not driving a stock car through the course that’s my comparison not the class, I completely understand what you’re talking about with the class

look I got a car on order and I’m not gonna claim it’s a The World changing situation here what apples to apples both cars are not alike off the showroom floor. That’s what I’m saying, if Can-Am took a stock car off the showroom floor and drove it down that same course and it survived  I would be very impressed. I already am impressed to some degree that he did what he did and it kept rolling. Those were some brutal hits.

I’m not talking about classes. I understand there’s a few classes there and you got to fit into one or the other what I’m saying is speed was taking stock cars and running them through the rock course course qualifying, Can-Am is not driving a stock car through the course that’s my comparison not the class, I completely understand what you’re talking about with the class

look I got a car on order and I’m not gonna claim it’s a The World changing situation here what apples to apples both cars are not alike off the showroom floor. That’s what I’m saying, if Can-Am took a stock car off the showroom floor and drove it down that same course and it survived  I would be very impressed. I already am impressed to some degree that he did what he did and it kept rolling. Those were some brutal hits.
Touche. I'll say this: RG never ran it through the rock course, he took the bypass.  The car and Robby are definitely definitely better in the open desert, so I can't blame him, but he also said he rolled the Bandit attempting Backdoor while pre-running the night before.

Will a stock anything make a run through there like that? You'd be foolish to try.  

Touche. I'll say this: RG never ran it through the rock course, he took the bypass.  The car and Robby are definitely definitely better in the open desert, so I can't blame him, but he also said he rolled the Bandit attempting Backdoor while pre-running the night before.

Will a stock anything make a run through there like that? You'd be foolish to try.  
As an owner of a future speed vehicle I’m glad he’s trying and seeing what else he has to fix and do it as quick as he already has done many things if there’s another item. It was a couple weeks before this race last year and then during this race last year while he discovered that the transmission castings were thin in some areas. That lead to what seems to be a solid transmission as of now.

I think it would be interesting to see if you had a totally stock class just the way you can buy them off the showroom floor even with smaller tires no exceptions, but I know in some cases the cars would not be safe to run for the occupants. 

we’ll see Thursday. How much chit breaks I’m guaranteeing helicopters going to be needed. If not for one brand another I know last year they were the only guys that got a lift it out. At this point I’m just hoping the weather stays good. I hate to see freezing, rain or snow. Looks like rain is in the forecast. Hopefully the drone coverage will continue. If there’s low clouds I’m betting they won’t have helicopters. It’s really hard to stay within the visual flight rules or VFR when it gets like that.

You're partially correct/wrong, he did run it thru the rock course, there were two of them, with backdoor being the one that had an either or. That's the portion he skipped, as did a chit ton of the other competitors, include Heger, who is fast as hell.

As an owner of a future speed vehicle I’m glad he’s trying and seeing what else he has to fix and do it as quick as he already has done many things if there’s another item. It was a couple weeks before this race last year and then during this race last year while he discovered that the transmission castings were thin in some areas. That lead to what seems to be a solid transmission as of now.

I think it would be interesting to see if you had a totally stock class just the way you can buy them off the showroom floor even with smaller tires no exceptions, but I know in some cases the cars would not be safe to run for the occupants. 

we’ll see Thursday. How much chit breaks I’m guaranteeing helicopters going to be needed. If not for one brand another I know last year they were the only guys that got a lift it out. At this point I’m just hoping the weather stays good. I hate to see freezing, rain or snow. Looks like rain is in the forecast. Hopefully the drone coverage will continue. If there’s low clouds I’m betting they won’t have helicopters. It’s really hard to stay within the visual flight rules or VFR when it gets like that.
Yep. And sorry, correction: they're in different classes.  RG is in Stock Production or whatever.  The Can Am is in Pro Mod.  My apologies.

Rules for that class:

Aftermarket Turbos NOT Allowed
80” Wide Max
33” Tire Max unless OEM Factory Equipped
No Portals
Must use stock pan

Reinforcing allowed
No bypasses unless OEM Factory Equipped
Must run front body  and side plastics

The top qualifier in stock was 8:00 in a RZR Turbo R (or whatever it's called), RG ran a 9:03 for reference.

Yep. And sorry, correction: they're in different classes.  RG is in Stock Production or whatever.  The Can Am is in Pro Mod.  My apologies.

Rules for that class:

Aftermarket Turbos NOT Allowed
80” Wide Max
33” Tire Max unless OEM Factory Equipped
No Portals
Must use stock pan

Reinforcing allowed
No bypasses unless OEM Factory Equipped
Must run front body  and side plastics

The top qualifier in stock was 8:00 in a RZR Turbo R (or whatever it's called), RG ran a 9:03 for reference.
That was Brock Heger, and BTW, he didn't take his car down Back Door. Also that car was a Turbo R full factory built Polaris, hardly stock at all.

That was Brock Heger, and BTW, he didn't take his car down Back Door. Also that car was a Turbo R full factory built Polaris, hardly stock at all.
Reinforcements and aftermarket cage are the only allowed mods.  I don't think it's something crazy beyond what most build out there anyway, no?  Are we fixating on completely stock because that's what RG brought?  If so, he brought a knife to a gun fight.  

For what it’s worth, I think by default because of the 2 L engine. All of the Polaris R go to the higher class not sure what it’s called.

For what it’s worth, I think by default because of the 2 L engine. All of the Polaris R go to the higher class not sure what it’s called.
Brock was running a Turbo R (turbo, <1000cc). Pro R is (I believe) in a higher class.

Turbo R 2.jpgTurbo R.jpg

Turbo R 3.jpg

Looks like stock arms, geometry, chassis, etc, with bumpers and upgraded cage to me.  Stock class rules don't allow for complete rebuild of the car.  Either way, the positive camber under droop, radius rods, and lower clevis didn't appear to hold him back as he finished a full minute ahead of RG. They ran the same route and the PoPo saw more abuse due to higher rate of speed, both survived.  Cool. :biggrin:

That being said, yes, RG gives you something that is nearly race ready without needing the SCORE/Ultra4 legal cage (granted, you still need to do some minor things for legality in the Speed).  That part is cool as well.

Brock was running a Turbo R (turbo, <1000cc). Pro R is (I believe) in a higher class.

View attachment 94513View attachment 94514

View attachment 94515

Looks like stock arms, geometry, chassis, etc, with bumpers and upgraded cage to me.  Stock class rules don't allow for complete rebuild of the car.  Either way, the positive camber under droop, radius rods, and lower clevis didn't appear to hold him back as he finished a full minute ahead of RG. They ran the same route and the PoPo saw more abuse due to higher rate of speed, both survived.  Cool. :biggrin:

That being said, yes, RG gives you something that is nearly race ready without needing the SCORE/Ultra4 legal cage (granted, you still need to do some minor things for legality in the Speed).  That part is cool as well.
Heger for sure beat Robby's time, but some of this is also due to driver, Heger is a beast in the desert, and if you watched Robbies run, he clearly lost some time in the rock section, he came to a stop and had to back up due to poor line choice.

If you look at the top spots in qualifying, most of if not all of them are rock racers and should kick Robby's ass in the rocks, which they did.

IDK if they're available yet (or ever will be) but the idea always was that Speed already had the right bars designed to make the cages fully legal and would sell the kits with the cut/notched tubes to do it.  Basically it's things like closing in the door openings and a few other gussets, not a whole re-engineering of the frame.  But, I guess it only matters if they run and make enough power to race, right? 

-TJ

Back