Speed UTV

Was reading that 4 different owners lost motors this weekend.   River Dave (RDP) lost his motor and the dude on instagram lost his after 1200 miles.  
Imagine when these cars get the Speed key!  At this rate of failure, Its going to be a  mess.  Still hard to believe RG's bad luck, no wonder why he's gone dark. 

Imagine when these cars get the Speed key!  At this rate of failure, Its going to be a  mess.  Still hard to believe RG's bad luck, no wonder why he's gone dark. 
He is in Asia doing some more QC.   What is fascinating is how some of the owners are blowing if off like it is not big deal.   The reliability is questionable right now and I certainly would not plan a multiday trip if I owned a Speed.

It was great seeing you in Glamis.  Hopefully next trip you can stay longer. 

Reactions: JBL
Just got back from the an 8 day trip at the river, didn't get too many miles in because we have 30 people stay at our house, and it's like herding cats to get a ride in, but the wife put 150 miles on the Speed, and I didn't touch a single thing on the car.

Question for you…..

OK so no NDA’s but…

Are you aware of the numerous Speed reviews and comparisons that have been pulled of the interwebs?

Do you think it’s just internet BS or would it be in line with RG’s modus operandi to have threaten them with no support and even lawsuits?

RG’s biggest failure was his lack of any PR person. Hell the stupid bitch that BUD Light fired could have done better.

The Hisun/Speed is definitely one of the best looking and well thought out platforms but I have a hard time seeing how RG and his hubris can outrun all the faults and Asian assembled quality as well as getting passed up technology wise.

Why when you ask a question about the Hisun/Speed Key do all of the most vocal internet apologists go silent?

Hoping this gets better soon for everyone involved.

Humility and total transparency on RG’s part would have helped tremendously. No one could keep track all the missed dates and timelines/deliveries.

Hey did you know that the plastic cover on the Mav R often comes loose? What a piece of chit right? 
Can you tell me how many "Speed Reviews" were pulled down? I have not heard of numerous reviews. I think you're referring to the "Desert SXS" guys. They didn't pull down their review BTW, what they did was pull the Speed car from the review, the videos are still up. Chad told me, that one of the main reasons that review was altered was because of DRAMA, not necessarily because of RG, even though RG did seem to pull a douche move on them.

Did you know that Chad, from Desert SXS still posts reviews and ride reports all over Facebook? They include both good and bad. Did you know that Chad posted a comparison between his Speed and his Pro R, and actually received death threats from people because he liked the Speed car? Seriously, this happened. 

Are you interested in hearing why nobody has a Speed Key yet? There is an answer, and it's not the best news.

Yes, please pass on the info...
Speed determined that a top end lube was needed in the motors when running on E-85, which isn't totally unheard of.

When adding a top end lube, they needed to go back to EPA, they have submitted everything to EPA, and are waiting on the 2024 cert to be able to allow the Speed Key, with the top end lube.

They are also now trying to figure out how to do this, what if the customer didn't put in the lube, what if they mixed it wrong? If they have an engine failure, how will they determine if it's a Speed motor issue, or the customers fault?

It appears the Speed Key may have been a total cluster Eff from the beginning that they didn't foresee.. 

If I had bought a Speed Car with the promises of having a 300hp car (speed key) and now I might never get it, I would be suing for breach of contract or something.  That being said, for the hardpack it wouldn't matter much, but for Sand I want HP and fun factor.  Either way, hope they get it figured out.

Speed determined that a top end lube was needed in the motors when running on E-85, which isn't totally unheard of.

When adding a top end lube, they needed to go back to EPA, they have submitted everything to EPA, and are waiting on the 2024 cert to be able to allow the Speed Key, with the top end lube.

They are also now trying to figure out how to do this, what if the customer didn't put in the lube, what if they mixed it wrong? If they have an engine failure, how will they determine if it's a Speed motor issue, or the customers fault?

It appears the Speed Key may have been a total cluster Eff from the beginning that they didn't foresee.. 
Thanks for sharing, confirming what I have also read other places.

I agree that the EPA thing was a miss on Speeds part because the top end lube changes what they originally submitted. It happens.

RG and Team are clearly squeezing every ounce out of that motor, which is fine. Owners just need to be aware and sign off on any claims if they are going to use the Speed Key, which is what is already a requirement right? They need to sign off any claims to get the key?

There are reasons "Mass Producing" MFG's leave so much of a motors true potential locked up, it's because of stuff like this that the masses will break.

Give it time, RG's vision of a SXS is getting better each version / change that occurs. AS\s long as Speed doesn't close their doors, the patient will get a solid car.

We saw video after video of him torture testing these things with the speed key. He was very proud of that. Just wondering why the problem didn't creep up on him.

Thanks for sharing, confirming what I have also read other places.

I agree that the EPA thing was a miss on Speeds part because the top end lube changes what they originally submitted. It happens.

RG and Team are clearly squeezing every ounce out of that motor, which is fine. Owners just need to be aware and sign off on any claims if they are going to use the Speed Key, which is what is already a requirement right? They need to sign off any claims to get the key?

There are reasons "Mass Producing" MFG's leave so much of a motors true potential locked up, it's because of stuff like this that the masses will break.

Give it time, RG's vision of a SXS is getting better each version / change that occurs. AS\s long as Speed doesn't close their doors, the patient will get a solid car.
From the very beginning they told ppl the Speed Key would void the stock warranty.  However, the "white glove" extended warranty explicitly said it included use of the Speed Key, which was one of the main reasons I got it.  Is that now not the case? 

-TJ

RG really explains a lot in that insta video.

5 engine failures over the holidays

speed key epa, top end lube like a 2-smoke
Top end lube like a 2-smoke means good luck getting EPA and CARB approval.  They should abandon the Speed Key and give people a refund.  Let the aftermarket tuners mess with that stuff.   

Top end lube like a 2-smoke means good luck getting EPA and CARB approval.  They should abandon the Speed Key and give people a refund.  Let the aftermarket tuners mess with that stuff.   
I used to run some top end lubricant on my turbo car. If remember right it was called groovy grape. If you got behind me all you would smell was grape candy. Haha.. 

Has it been discussed why his e85 tune needs a lubricant and other cars don't? There's a lot of high horsepower street guys out there running e85 that don't need any lubricant. At the dunes as well, obviously.

I would want my car completely EPA/CARB compliant and not chance taking the money and have a tuner do something with it. I suspect the smog police are going to start making their way to off-road. Way too many modifications bypassing EPA/CARB stuff is not going to go unnoticed... 

He's in a tough spot for sure. He better hope like hell that he gets it certified. The alternatives are class actions and/or buybacks

Last edited by a moderator:

Any thoughts on just letting the aftermarket handle it instead? No need to provide mfg EPA cert then…

RG really explains a lot in that insta video.

5 engine failures over the holidays

speed key epa, top end lube like a 2-smoke
5 just over the weekend, with how many cars delivered? I think 200? That’s super high considering the total miles traveled…

He should suggest a diesel fuel lubricity additive.  Granted, in the diesel world it is for everything but the top end, but it might be the solution his EPA issue.

Back