Speed UTV

Seems like more folks that have received cars lately are posting on FB that they are extremely happy with their ride.  Some post the little issues but that goes with the top 2 dogs also.  I have alot of time before my car arrives and confident many of the issues will be resolved.  I liked the ride I experienced with a 2 seat Pro R in the dunes but not crazy about how tall the car is.  Hope to get a ride or test drive a Mav R next year and even a Speed.  I know I will have a new SXS in my garage regardless next fall. 

I personally have been looking forward to your review. Even the trials and tribulations that come along with it. I know you were supposed to take it to Glamis but you’ve been dark since. Inquiring minds want to know the real world stuff. 
Did take it to G a few weeks ago. Aired down to around 11psi and car did great. Didn’t hit anything big as I’m still breaking car in. Put around 100 miles. Bolts that hold the front swaybar pulled out of the front bulkhead. Nothing major, but want that repaired. 
got the SS360s with KMC wheels for the rears but haven’t had a chance to try them yet. 
cars in the shop for new turbo, ecu, and repairs to front bulkhead. 
they are also setting the ride height and fixing a few nuts and bolts that came lose. 
was hoping it was gonna be ready for NYE but it wasn’t. With my luck, they’ll call Tuesday. 😂 

Am very anxious to try the paddles out and the new tune etc. after reading how crappy the sand was this weekend, maybe I dodged a bullet  

to date it’s been miles of smiles for us and looking forward to many more of each. 

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading how crappy the sand was this weekend, maybe I dodged a bullet
I love this!! Please don't come. 🙄 

Wash 4 is wide open, people leaving since Friday. Rather odd. Not the NYE of 2022 that's for sure. Maybe because it's a Sunday? Ah well, more dunes for me! 

Saw a couple today in Glamis. 

Look to handle the whoops well enough. 

Definitely less power. Everyone’s been struggling to get around on the smashed potatoes out there, but the Speed is slower. 

Look much better in person than in pictures. 
Smashed potatoes ?. Dang ! I love that analogy !..

Oh, sorry to interrupt. Carry on .

Wash 4 is wide open, people leaving since Friday. Rather odd. Not the NYE of 2022 that's for sure. Maybe because it's a Sunday? Ah well, more dunes for me! Ore
More crappy dunes seems to be the cause. No wind for weeks and now a half inch of rain to make crappy dunes even more crappier. The tranny guys love this time of year. 

Wash 4 is wide open, people leaving since Friday. Rather odd. Not the NYE of 2022 that's for sure. Maybe because it's a Sunday? Ah well, more dunes for me! 
Saw a lot of people leaving Friday and Saturday.  Most camps were left with just a few rigs.  

Found some untouched areas of the dunes along with the ruts for miles around Olds, Sunset Hill, and even China Wall. 

You bet. I’ll stick with off weekends and summer rides all day long. 
Enjoy! 

You bet. I’ll stick with off weekends and summer rides all day long. 
Enjoy! 
My rolled eyes meant sarcasm. Looking back, I think I was annoyed by a buddy right as I wrote that message. He gave me every excuse in the book to not come out as he said he would but the sand conditions wasn't one of them lol may have took it out on ya, my bad. Had a great time and yea, it was rutted out in the common areas. No way I'll miss a trip for that reason. 

Seems like more folks that have received cars lately are posting on FB that they are extremely happy with their ride.  Some post the little issues but that goes with the top 2 dogs also.  I have alot of time before my car arrives and confident many of the issues will be resolved.  I liked the ride I experienced with a 2 seat Pro R in the dunes but not crazy about how tall the car is.  Hope to get a ride or test drive a Mav R next year and even a Speed.  I know I will have a new SXS in my garage regardless next fall. 
I think if you drove the Maverick R you would like it.  It handles the hits similar to the Pro R, but you do not feel like you are driving up so high.  I found the sight lines on the Maverick R to be a better.   Bonus is the Maverick R is very quiet compared to the Pro R.  

I think you will find most people posting on FB will be positive about their Speed UTVs.  I have seen that have had a good amount of issues and yet they still post how they love the car as they are on to another trip to Havasu to get something fixed.   Funny thing is I would bet some of those people are the first to jump all over the other manufactures for having similar issues.   LOL!!!  

Every MFG has their issues, pick your poison :lol:

I don't know what I want at this point, we will see. :bag:

Every MFG has their issues, pick your poison :lol:

I don't know what I want at this point, we will see. :bag:
You want hockey season to end so you can go to the dunes.  LOL!

Lots of good choices out there to fit just about every budget. 

I did see dozen or more Speed cars in the dunes last week, They looked like everyone was having fun for sure.

It appears a few more engines have failed due to the automatic compression release breaking. Bummer. I knew at the outset there was some genuine pie-in-the-sky being lathered on by RG, but I really expected better than this.  Hope it all works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being out in glamis for over a week, seen many unicorns and they were duning and getting everywhere. didn't look slow or bad. I am looking forward to getting mine, hopefully after they get the bugs worked out. Chit happens but they are looking more impressive every time I seen one out there.

Being out in glamis for over a week, seen many unicorns and they were duning and getting everywhere. didn't look slow or bad. I am looking forward to getting mine, hopefully after they get the bugs worked out. Chit happens but they are looking more impressive every time I seen one out there.
Glad to hear you saw some.  I have my "theories" on why some were struggling up Olds and stuff, based on what I've heard from actual owners:

• several did have issues with wastegates (didn't get good data if they were just bad WGs, or out of adjustment) so they were not making full boost
  • we've all seen the issues with early ones having exhaust manifold/turbine housing (remember, it's one unit on a Speed) cracks and any exhaust leak pre-turbo can really impact boost, turbo response/lag, and overall performance 
  • the big one, which granted is just a theory but there are owner reports to back it up: the clutch settings (they are fully adjustable clutches stock, no need to buy clutch kids like all other SxSs) from the factory are setup for the Speed key/300 hp.  If you're not familiar with CVTs this might not seem like a big deal, but it is Yuge.  If they're clutched for 300 hp they're not going to pull peak RPM at 225 hp, which means they won't even make 225 hp, they'll be making less.  And it's not just peak WOT RPM that is impacted.  Things like backshift will be wrong too and will make the overall duning experience way worse 

-TJ

Was reading that 4 different owners lost motors this weekend.   River Dave (RDP) lost his motor and the dude on instagram lost his after 1200 miles.  

Back