Speed UTV

Some interesting reading on that post in the FB group.   Reading through the comments is good entertainment.   I counted at least 2 people in there that had motors replaced.   The other Speed owners that chimed in all seemed to have some issues that required a trip back to Speed. 

Someone should ask the "friend" who posted it, how Speed has had the cars since Halloween, but his friend posted both for sale on Oct 30th with zero miles on them.

Also once again, there is NO NDA that anyone is being asked or forced to sell.

I'm not saying there hasn't been issues with the cars, but this dudes FB post is fishy.

As for the Reddit, he belongs to the Speed forum, and there is a little more detail in there, it seems like he may have overheated his car several times, and probably caused all the damage himself. He does have a new motor now, and Speed was delivering his car to him last week.

Someone should ask the "friend" who posted it, how Speed has had the cars since Halloween, but his friend posted both for sale on Oct 30th with zero miles on them.

I'm not saying there hasn't been issues with the cars, but this dudes FB post is fishy.

As for the Reddit, he belongs to the Speed forum, and there is a little more detail in there, it seems like he may have overheated his car several times, and probably caused all the damage himself. He does have a new motor now, and Speed was delivering his car to him last week.
If he'd watch that 'demo' video on how you can set your screen to show all temps, maybe this wouldn't have happen. I set my Polaris screen to engine temp for this reason.

So the engine was replace under warranty I assume?

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
If he'd watch that 'demo' video on how you can set your screen to show all temps, maybe this wouldn't have happen. I set my Polaris screen to engine temp for this reason.

So the engine was replace under warranty I assume?

abc
Yes, it was replaced under warranty, it originally went back to Coyne, but Speed had the car shipped to them and they did the motor replacement.

The person that made that post is a no BS guy.  I know who he is and see him at certain tracks when my kid races.   He said his friend took the car out after posting the for sale ad and they dropped the car off to Speed after the Halloween weekend. 

Is the guy on Reddit the same person that was pre-running in Baja and lost the motor.   If it is he was not the cause of the motor failure.  

There are some issues with the Speed UTV as you have experienced yourself.   

There have been more than one Speed motor lost.  So there is an issue that is not user error. 

The person that made that post is a no BS guy.  I know who he is and see him at certain tracks when my kid races.   He said his friend took the car out after posting the for sale ad and they dropped the car off to Speed after the Halloween weekend. 

Is the guy on Reddit the same person that was pre-running in Baja and lost the motor.   If it is he was not the cause of the motor failure.  

There are some issues with the Speed UTV as you have experienced yourself.   

There have been more than one Speed motor lost.  So there is an issue that is not user error. 
Yes same guy from Baja, and he said he was running the motor with super high engine and oil temps, and he kept driving it, so yeah, he overheated the motor and cooked a head gasket.

I have no idea who the GD facebook guy is, but there are some BS comments, NOBODY has signed an NDA, so as soon as that gets mentioned, it's a BS flag, unless his friend is the one and only person that signed one.

I'm just saying, don't believe everything you read on the Facebook, or here, or any other forum.

Maybe they can 'detune' them. .. if was like Tesla, they could just send the tune remotely. 

Yes same guy from Baja, and he said he was running the motor with super high engine and oil temps, and he kept driving it, so yeah, he overheated the motor and cooked a head gasket.

I have no idea who the GD facebook guy is, but there are some BS comments, NOBODY has signed an NDA, so as soon as that gets mentioned, it's a BS flag, unless his friend is the one and only person that signed one.

I'm just saying, don't believe everything you read on the Facebook, or here, or any other forum.
He never said his friend signed a NDA.   Other people were chiming in about that.   I will ask him what's up the next time I see him. 

The engine is supposed to go into limp mode when engine temps or oil temps get to a certain level to prevent damage.  The question is why were the oil temps so high?  Engine temps were initially from the windshield and I believe he removed it.   

Pretty sure the people that posted they have new Speed motors are Speed UTV owners.  

The fact is there are some issues with the motor that hopefully Speed gets figured out.  So far the turbo and decompression mechanism seem to be issues.  Hopefully the new batch of turbos with the revision result in no more turbo issues. 

He never said his friend signed a NDA.   Other people were chiming in about that.   I will ask him what's up the next time I see him. 

The engine is supposed to go into limp mode when engine temps or oil temps get to a certain level to prevent damage.  The question is why were the oil temps so high?  Engine temps were initially from the windshield and I believe he removed it.   

Pretty sure the people that posted they have new Speed motors are Speed UTV owners.  

The fact is there are some issues with the motor that hopefully Speed gets figured out.  So far the turbo and decompression mechanism seem to be issues.  Hopefully the new batch of turbos with the revision result in no more turbo issues. 
Oil cooler is part of the radiator assembly, so the windshield also caused high oil temps.

The FB post was shared somewhere else, and I remember part of the original post saying he was posting it for his friend because he was told he couldn't post, or something along those lines.

Oil cooler is part of the radiator assembly, so the windshield also caused high oil temps.

The FB post was shared somewhere else, and I remember part of the original post saying he was posting it for his friend because he was told he couldn't post, or something along those lines.
That makes sense.  For some reason I thought the oil cooler was in a different location.  

For sure the customers fault. No way speed would allow that. And if they did Robby would have a fix for it already. 

Read about "Waste Gate Pin" issues, that was quickly addressed on all units moving forward or currently in PDI.

Speed and team sure moves fast on fixing these items that pop up.

No "Stop Rides", just slow rolls out of PDI.

Back