Speed UTV

Did you buy through a dealer, or just using one that is local to you?  I have one on order that is being produced soon.  All of the noise has me contemplating selling the spot, or abandoning the deposit if I can't sell it.  Having a dealer that could work on it would be helpful.  Not thrilled that they ditched the inconel turbo and manifold for cast iron.
The manifold is a Stainless alloy, it's not cast iron

Trash talking aside,

When Polaris and Can Am first introduced their product to the market were they without issues? My memory says there were a lot of issues that were corrected through years of model releases. 
One also has to wonder if the Pro R and the new CanAM would even be to market had it not been for Speed jumping in. It would seem that for several years both Polaris and CanAm were content with adding 10 HP and calling it a new model.
Most of the bashing is towards RG and his actions. Not so much about the cars issues. Everyone knew they would have issues when they came out. Just pointing them out as RG, and even some ticket holders, claimed they wouldn’t happen due to the strenuous testing and overseeing QC. Polaris and CanAm have made tons of mistakes along the way and had several years to improve on them. To this day both are still making mistakes.

Trash talking aside,

When Polaris and Can Am first introduced their product to the market were they without issues? My memory says there were a lot of issues that were corrected through years of model releases. 
One also has to wonder if the Pro R and the new CanAM would even be to market had it not been for Speed jumping in. It would seem that for several years both Polaris and CanAm were content with adding 10 HP and calling it a new model.
We’ve had 1 recall for the steering motor overheating. I experienced it personally on a ride and it sucked. Promptly fixed at the dealer. 

Most of the bashing is towards RG and his actions. Not so much about the cars issues. Everyone knew they would have issues when they came out. Just pointing them out as RG, and even some ticket holders, claimed they wouldn’t happen due to the strenuous testing and overseeing QC. Polaris and CanAm have made tons of mistakes along the way and had several years to improve on them. To this day both are still making mistakes.
This. Years of videos shitting on products that were already out, saying none of this would happen to their model that wasn’t even close to out. All the RG fans would then post everywhere about how their unreleased ride would be better, with the “proof” being RG’s marketing BS statements in the weekly videos.

Spend years doing that, and it’s unsurprising that people are having some fun pointing out problems. Happens. I’ve had my own advice or statements backfire, and I’ve laughed right alongside my friends/coworkers when they rightly point it out. :biggrin:

Trash talking aside,

Also, while Polaris and CanAm where cutting thier teeth, the cars had less than 100HP and 8" wheel travel (guess). Those cars didn't take nearly the abuse that the cars are taking now. So not only is Speed cutting its teeth on a new car, it is being driven 100X harder than the first batct of other manufacturers. 

Trash talking aside,

Polaris and Can Am were already working on the Pro R and Maverick R long before Robby announced the Speed UTV.   Can Am was working on the DCT transmission for more 7 years.

When RG announced the Speed UTV it was originally just going to be a stretched Wildcat XX.    That changed when he could not source a motor and he had the falling out with Textron.   

Polaris and Can Am were already working on the Pro R and Maverick R long before Robby announced the Speed UTV.   Can Am was working on the DCT transmission for more 7 years.

When RG announced the Speed UTV it was originally just going to be a stretched Wildcat XX.    That changed when he could not source a motor and he had the falling out with Textron.   
How dare you not give credit to Jesus/Robby. SXS world is what it is because of him and only him. You must be a speed hater. 

Did you buy through a dealer, or just using one that is local to you?  I have one on order that is being produced soon.  All of the noise has me contemplating selling the spot, or abandoning the deposit if I can't sell it.  Having a dealer that could work on it would be helpful.  Not thrilled that they ditched the inconel turbo and manifold for cast iron.
I did buy through Coyne in El Centro and I’m happy I did because it’s a 5 min drive there vs Havasu or LA. 
Service has been amazing to this point so no complaints there. 
I was ready to pull the plug about a month before car arrived. Glad I didn’t. 
people selling their spots or cars? 
look how Amy other cars are for sale! 
life happens from 4 years ago and many bought on the “make a buck” attitude. 
how many you see for sale with actual miles on them? 😉 

Also, while Polaris and CanAm where cutting thier teeth, the cars had less than 100HP and 8" wheel travel (guess). Those cars didn't take nearly the abuse that the cars are taking now. So not only is Speed cutting its teeth on a new car, it is being driven 100X harder than the first batct of other manufacturers. 
I understand the point you’re trying to make. Let’s not forget that RG partnered with Polaris and Textron. Those cars weren’t 1st builds by any means. Not to mention a lot of the Speed car is based off the Wildcat XX so his build wasn’t from scratch. He brought his offroad racing knowledge to the SXS world so again, a lot of the Speed car wasn’t drawn or built out of thin air! Please don’t give him THAT much credit!

There was a speed Utv siting

in Glamis this past weekend. We never meet up with that group so I’m not sure which utv it was. I was riding clean up in or group and couldn’t redirect the them to follow. In the distance it was blue and heading south thru the dunes maybe towards swing set and leading a pack of Sxs. Sure has a nice look to it.

I seen the Los Pendejos guys speed at the ledge and it looked legit! On 34" paddles by Packard and says he had a few small issues in the beginning but duned it all over with no issues. Says it eats the big whoops no g outs!  Bad ass desert car. That is what he told me. Says it needs the speed key to be its full potential. Either way for us early buyers I think it is a still a hell of deal of sxs.

There was a guy with a buck shot and a speed car. I think the kid was driving the speed car, so he was real happy with it no complaints. I was up at the Sunset Hill where our group talk to him.

I think there was some sort of kickback for making that video TBH. He seemed way too impressed by the car. Maybe it was a trade to carry spare parts at the shop??
No clue.  Just know chasing a Funco around the dunes with a skilled driver behind the wheel a SXS has very little chance and there is no comparison.   UTVs do soak up the smaller chop better than most rails.  

I think there was some sort of kickback for making that video TBH. He seemed way too impressed by the car. Maybe it was a trade to carry spare parts at the shop??
Seemed phony to me 

Peas

Last edited by a moderator:
No clue.  Just know chasing a Funco around the dunes with a skilled driver behind the wheel a SXS has very little chance and there is no comparison.   UTVs do soak up the smaller chop better than most rails.  
I own a pretty decent Funco.  I've also chased very skilled drivers in Funcos, Alumicrafts, Tatums etc. in my SxSs.  I agree, there's no comparison for duning.  However, watch the vid, he's just charging the whoops along sand highway and the whoop road to Olds.  I don't doubt the Speed is WAY better at that than my Funco...

-TJ

Good news for the Speed UTV owners there is a fix for the steering wheel feedback.  It only cost $1399 - $1899 to fix it through Speed UTV

https://speedutv.com/shop/speed/speed-electric-power-steering/

So far I think there is close to $9000 in fixes available through Speed UTV.   LOL!
I thought it didn't need anything?  Turnkey racecar ready to take all comers? :biggrin:

I own a pretty decent Funco.  I've also chased very skilled drivers in Funcos, Alumicrafts, Tatums etc. in my SxSs.  I agree, there's no comparison for duning.  However, watch the vid, he's just charging the whoops along sand highway and the whoop road to Olds.  I don't doubt the Speed is WAY better at that than my Funco...

-TJ
Yep.  That being said, I am impressed with what Shock Talk has done with friends' buggies when it comes to whoops. 

Back