Speed UTV

What’s good to me is how RG releasing this UTV and experiencing the same problems he chit on the other OEMs for has shut him up. Haven’t seen a single Can Am this, or Polaris that video in a while. Speak softly, and carry a big stick. 

So we all knew there would be issues with the Speed car once it came out. We also knew that Joe Shmo driver would find some weak links once in his hands. What I didn’t see happening is the struggles these cars are having to get up the dunes. Is it a clutching issue? 

Just catching up after being away from this thread for a a couple weeks  - speed Drama  just keeps on coming ... seems "little nits" keep popping up. You just have to man up to own one. As a Sand Car owner, I have broken lots of stuff, not complaining ...

I think the fix is  simple. its  like a firearm you must take a Basic test before you can own one:

Question 1 - Have you ever owned, driven, and/or wrenched on a Trophy truck ?  If yes move to Question 2, if no visit a CanAm , Polaris, Yamaha, Honda, or Kawasaki dealer

It seems if you want something that handles, brakes, and out performs your average SxS you have to put up with the little nits that come along with it.  I have owned Fast Drag cars, I rebuild the engine every couple hundred passes, it comes with the territory ...
I haven't owned a a TT, but I've had a pretty serious race car and a bunch of rails and a handful of RZRs.  I've done clutch jobs track-side on my C5Z (those that know how that job goes on C5/6/7s know there's a lot more to it than a typical front engine/trans setup), built some motors, and broken a TON of stuff.  My most recent break I pulled some neat tricks out of the bag, like zip-tying two boxes wrenches together through the box end, then hanging those over the pad retention pin on a caliper we had to remove so that the brakes would be usable and not pop the pistons out of the caliper.  A few folks were like "whoa, that's MacGyver..." I said, "nope, not at all... I just break too much."  Anyway, I think I can skip to Question 2 right? 

-TJ

So we all knew there would be issues with the Speed car once it came out. We also knew that Joe Shmo driver would find some weak links once in his hands. What I didn’t see happening is the struggles these cars are having to get up the dunes. Is it a clutching issue? 
I agree, that's somewhat unexpected.  Of course, the only place I seem to see those vids if from BoardmanvilleGlamis's IG.  I have no idea what his (massive) hard-on for RG is about, but it's broadline obsessive.  From the dynos I've seen, I do think clutching is part of the issue.  Before the board loss awhile back I had written a pretty long thread on clutch care, maintenance and tuning (the latter of which I don't consider myself an *expert* in, by an means).  When it comes to clutching an all-mechanical CVT it's really hard to get them to do everything great, and nearly impossible to have them work perfectly at two vastly different power levels (math is hard, and I'm dumb... but 300 is a 33.33% increase from 225).  I think a big part of the issue is they're clutched for the Speed key and 300 HP.  I also think the tire combo is all wrong for sand.  Lastly, I think they're just a LOT heavier than any of us anticipated.  

-TJ

What’s good to me is how RG releasing this UTV and experiencing the same problems he chit on the other OEMs for has shut him up. Haven’t seen a single Can Am this, or Polaris that video in a while. Speak softly, and carry a big stick. 
I don’t think a Speed car has burned to the ground yet!! :classic_biggrin:

Many of the cars have turbo issues which is being addressed with the current batch of fixes.  This is likely why we see them struggling to get up Olds.   There is a video of a Speed UTV going up China Wall with a 4 seat Can Am X3 and it was slightly slower than the X3.  Speed got the jump and through the whoops, but the X3 caught up and passed it toward the top. 

Last edited by a moderator:
RG has some deep pockets invested in this company.   I believe they do have some QA inspectors in ASIA, but they are apparently not up to speed.   Some of the issues are not only QC issues, but design issues.   They will get it sorted out eventually.    By the time your Speed car arrives a lot of the issues will be sorted out.    If not plan on some trips to Havasu until they get the dealer network set up to handle warranty work and repairs.   
Better be since it will get here late next year!!!  But yeah not surprised with all the teething going on with a 1st release.  Reminds me of the Wildcat days but owners started to figure things out and share on forums.  I understand the hate from RG from desert racing. Then when he shot off his mouth trashing the competition that made it worse for him.  Now its easy for haters to rip into it even more.  

So many people are selling their Speed and are fed up with it.  Dont really blame them, but what I do blame them for is paying for accessories when they really didnt have to.  No they are pissed and out several thousand bucks.   Oh well they can only really blame themselves despite being promised the world.  Hell my wife promised me the world and well still the same ol chit.  Cheaper to keep her at this poing LMFAO....Glad she never reads or gets into my hobbies and not see this post. 

I haven't owned a a TT, but I've had a pretty serious race car and a bunch of rails and a handful of RZRs.  I've done clutch jobs track-side on my C5Z (those that know how that job goes on C5/6/7s know there's a lot more to it than a typical front engine/trans setup), built some motors, and broken a TON of stuff.  My most recent break I pulled some neat tricks out of the bag, like zip-tying two boxes wrenches together through the box end, then hanging those over the pad retention pin on a caliper we had to remove so that the brakes would be usable and not pop the pistons out of the caliper.  A few folks were like "whoa, that's MacGyver..." I said, "nope, not at all... I just break too much."  Anyway, I think I can skip to Question 2 right? 

-TJ
TJ 

It seems you would qualify :-)

A big ol' slice of humble pie.

Better be since it will get here late next year!!!  But yeah not surprised with all the teething going on with a 1st release.  Reminds me of the Wildcat days but owners started to figure things out and share on forums.  I understand the hate from RG from desert racing. Then when he shot off his mouth trashing the competition that made it worse for him.  Now its easy for haters to rip into it even more.  

So many people are selling their Speed and are fed up with it.  Dont really blame them, but what I do blame them for is paying for accessories when they really didnt have to.  No they are pissed and out several thousand bucks.   Oh well they can only really blame themselves despite being promised the world.  Hell my wife promised me the world and well still the same ol chit.  Cheaper to keep her at this poing LMFAO....Glad she never reads or gets into my hobbies and not see this post. 
People were duped into paying for accessories when there was hope that production of the cars was going to start over 2 years ago.   People that dumped $5-10K in accessories plus the deposit were stuck hanging on for the ride or sell their spot to break even or if they are lucky make a little money.   When you see those for sale ads it is crazy to see the amount of money people bought in accessories.   

RG has been awfully quiet about ripping on the competitors and he should be.  He has not proven the Speed is better.  

Wow. So much hate. I get it, wanting to down the smack talker.  Like you guys want Biden over Trump. 🙄

my car is at the dealer, yes dealer, getting the new turbo, updates, setting the ride height, and addressing little things. 
I talked to a good friend who had 1 weekend on his new R and it’s headed to the shop. 

im not trying to persuade you all, im simply stating facts. 

come out, and let’s go for a ride? Or just keep sidelining with the keyboard. 

Wow. So much hate. I get it, wanting to down the smack talker.  Like you guys want Biden over Trump. 🙄

my car is at the dealer, yes dealer, getting the new turbo, updates, setting the ride height, and addressing little things. 
I talked to a good friend who had 1 weekend on his new R and it’s headed to the shop. 

You know quite a people commenting in this thread,.and they're not normally one to start hating and talking chit for no reason.

Yeah I didn't know how much work/trouble shooting my SCU would take (3 years) to get it 'right' and I was under the misguided impression that a SXS from a major manufacturer would be turnkey and quickly found out it wasn't. 

Put a lot of thought/work/money into my SXS's and I think the one (that survived) is dialed, but it wasn't as easy or (as cheap) as I would have hoped. 

Everyone of them seem to have issues. Lost count on recalls, etc.

abc

Yep my Pro R is in the shop. Ride command started glitching really bad over thanksgiving and then went black. Luckily it went black the day we were leaving so I didn’t lose any ride time. I also asked them to look into the suspension clunking sound I’ve got. It started off happening every now and then but then got worse over the trip. As I suspected they confirmed it’s the bolts for the shocks. Factory Polaris bolt shanks aren’t the right length making the shock ride on part of the threads. Of coarse the dealer can’t do anything for me but replace with the same bolts. So I ordered a complete suspension bolt kit from Kumbustion as this is a known issue. Price we pay to play is how I look at it!

Trash talking aside,

When Polaris and Can Am first introduced their product to the market were they without issues? My memory says there were a lot of issues that were corrected through years of model releases. 
One also has to wonder if the Pro R and the new CanAM would even be to market had it not been for Speed jumping in. It would seem that for several years both Polaris and CanAm were content with adding 10 HP and calling it a new model.

Trash talking aside,

When Polaris and Can Am first introduced their product to the market were they without issues? My memory says there were a lot of issues that were corrected through years of model releases. 
One also has to wonder if the Pro R and the new CanAM would even be to market had it not been for Speed jumping in. It would seem that for several years both Polaris and CanAm were content with adding 10 HP and calling it a new model.
They all have issues and the top 2 take years to fix them..  People LOVE to talk trash some in good banter some are just that way.  But one good thing about Speed is they discover them, halt production and fix them once discovered.  I just hope at this rate they dont go belly up due to the many pre-order folks are selling on a daily and some taking losses.  

I've seen quite a few SPEED cars for sale on FB. Some who have taken delivery and others just selling their spot.

Did you buy through a dealer, or just using one that is local to you?  I have one on order that is being produced soon.  All of the noise has me contemplating selling the spot, or abandoning the deposit if I can't sell it.  Having a dealer that could work on it would be helpful.  Not thrilled that they ditched the inconel turbo and manifold for cast iron.

Back