Speed UTV

The Tone from RG has been that people are not smart enough to drive these UTV's the way they are built to be driven. If this is really the case, Build them in the US and price the masses out. Make it what you dream it to be, right now it's just a few steps above being sold at Bass Pro Shop.

These are China Built Bugatti Veyron of the Desert it seems...

it’s something that might be bought by a dedicated and experienced owner… or a complete moron.
Never seen a post so spot on the money.

It seems you have to walk too fine of a line to own and drive one of these things. Too much babysitting the systems that should be minding themselves.

Don't watch the coolant temp like you're supposed to? You're in timeout.

Don't watch the oil temp? Timeout.

Windshield in the summer time? Guess what?

Check your coolant hoses for clamps, oil lines for tightness, weird ass turbo manifold for cracks, the list goes on.

Maybe they should send it to you in a box and make you assemble it yourself so it can really be your fault when chit goes wrong like it is anyway. They could partner with IKEA and build a bigger network.

Peas

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Polaris 800 4x4 utility quad that has the 4x4 switch right above the thumb throttle. It's a 2005. The switch location makes it hard to engage while on the throttle unless you reach over with your left hand which I have done too. I have abused the chit out of that thing and have engaged the 4x4 on the fly more often than not and it still works like the day I got it. My YXZ's 4x4 is easily switched on the fly and under power too. I usually try to blip the throttle when I switch it. I have done it both ways and never had a problem. If Polaris figured it out 20 years ago (probably longer) then it should already be part of the equation for anyone today.

Peas
Yep. Same with the wife’s X3. Hell, every 4WD vehicle I’ve owned you can switch from 2 to 4 without any fuss (assuming you remembered to lock the hubs ahead of time on some) stopped or not. The Ultra4 car referenced is probably an Atlas, which definitely can be shifted not only from 2-4, but H to L as well (synchronized). Worst case is sometimes the transmission needs to be shifted to N if you’re bound up, that’s only going from 4 to 2 because of how the selection collar works. 

11 hours ago, Dune-Track-N said:

SPEED UTV new vehicle training video

Don't even think about tryin to have the time of your life in this thing. You've got way too much work to do monitoring everything that can't take care of itself like fuel pressure, oil and coolant temps, calculating boost pressure, limp wristng your seatbelt adjusters like a LGBTLMNOP and making sure you don't have any extra keys in your pocket. Don't even think about engine speed or getting curious about how fast you're going, you don't have time for chit like that.

Peas 

Newest issue, swaybar bolts are pulling out of the front diff bulkhead.  Fix is to remove swaybar.   Why are these mounted to the diff?

speed_diff_bolt.png

Why are these mounted to the diff?
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, good or bad, but that is one of the key design concepts of the entire vehicle: front bulkhead that houses the diff, susp pickup points, steering pickup points etc.  It's a structural member of the vehicle.  Obviously it's unacceptable that bolts are backing out (probably should have had hardened steel inserts in the AL bulkhead?), but the reason they land in the bulkhead (not just a "diff") is pretty clear - it's a fundamental part of the design of the vehicle.

-TJ

Maybe they should just do a manual called "Speed UTV for Dummies".   LOL!  

Newest issue, swaybar bolts are pulling out of the front diff bulkhead.  Fix is to remove swaybar.   Why are these mounted to the diff?

View attachment 88540
Sway bars mounts see a lot of stress and shock load and are usually found as far outboard as possible on most applications. The front diff bulkhead on the Speed is pretty narrow and in the center of the front of the machine, isn't it? If that's true then the sway bar mounts must be too far inboard amplifying the stress and load on them so it's probably no surprise that they would fail.

Peas

Todd pointed it out in the video. 
Ok. I see what you mean but honestly, if you’ve ever used a multi point harness, it’s a no issue. I don’t see how you could break them. 
todd or no Todd, that’s not a breakage problem. 

Back