Speed UTV

So it appears there is an issue with the turbos on the Speed car developing cracks.  Apparently Robby has a fix for it.  Push Turbo already has aftermarket ones available.    

Don't think we will see 1000 cars delivered anytime soon. 
Just sad to see that it seems the suppliers are doing all they can to kill these cars. Really no way to check every part. 

I saw 4 or 5 Speed cars in the dunes today, would have followed, but we were data logging on a tune for my buddy's Pro R and had an issue and had to stop.  Really wanted to check them out and talk to the owners.  One of them was a pink car.

So it appears there is an issue with the turbos on the Speed car developing cracks.  Apparently Robby has a fix for it.  Push Turbo already has aftermarket ones available.    

Don't think we will see 1000 cars delivered anytime soon. 
It appears that changing turbos mid-stream, and perhaps going from the original inconel to gray iron may not have worked out so well? They desperately need some experienced automotive engineers to at least oversee their haphazard testing regimen.

Just sad to see that it seems the suppliers are doing all they can to kill these cars. Really no way to check every part. 
Easy solution: buy from Garrett or IHI or BorgWarner or KKK or Mitsubishi. It’s not a mystery that deals with CCP have mixed results. OE suppliers like these have a lot more leverage over Chinese manufacturing, so they don’t fawk with them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that changing turbos mid-stream, and perhaps going from the original inconel to gray iron may not have worked out so well? They desperately need some experienced automotive engineers to at least oversee their haphazard testing regimen.
RG would never cut corners or change something to save on cost.  I believe that was one of the mantras during the design phase.  LOL!

Looks like his vendors are trying to pull a fast one or someone forgot to check them before they did a full production run of the turbos.   

RG would never cut corners or change something to save on cost.  I believe that was one of the mantras during the design phase.  LOL!

Looks like his vendors are trying to pull a fast one or someone forgot to check them before they did a full production run of the turbos.   
Or, they built to the exact specs listed if it's a custom housing.

I'm sure "the suppliers" are really happy to be associated with Speed and have it noted that their products are failing.  Sounds like a best practice and I'm surprised more companies don't follow the "our products don't work"  business model. Harvard business students take note  . . .

I'm sure "the suppliers" are really happy to be associated with Speed and have it noted that their products are failing.  Sounds like a best practice and I'm surprised more companies don't follow the "our products don't work"  business model. Harvard business students take note  . . .
Do you know the name of the trans case supplier? Do you know the name of the turbo supplier?   It's the way they do business, cheap out everywhere they can to make a few more cents on a product. It's why their products have the reputation they do. 

And YES it is their business model...how to cut corners 101.  They have been doing it for decades. 

I've been in the manufacturing industry for 25 years, now.

If you're not aware that some companies send out the most questionable products possible, you've been to too many concerts.

Harvard business students DID take note. I watched a Harvard business Grad send out chit I would have never tied my name to. Guess what? MOST of it came back and MORE money and time was invested.

You don't have all the answers, Bud.
Trust me I get it and was just reacting to the way the post was constructed as if the suppliers had an active interest in watching the Speed cars fail. My snark app apparently is not working this morning.

I'm actually stoked that some people who have waited for years are finally getting their cars and I hope they are happy with them without encountering too many issues.

Do you know the name of the trans case supplier? Do you know the name of the turbo supplier?   It's the way they do business, cheap out everywhere they can to make a few more cents on a product. It's why their products have the reputation they do. 

And YES it is their business model...how to cut corners 101.  They have been doing it for decades. 
Yep.  And this is a well-traveled road, which is why you shouldn't be surprised that your turbo supplier shafted you.

Or...  It's a well-known supplier, but they specified their own housing instead of one of their standard housings, and this is the result.

Yep.  And this is a well-traveled road, which is why you shouldn't be surprised that your turbo supplier shafted you.

Or...  It's a well-known supplier, but they specified their own housing instead of one of their standard housings, and this is the result.
To my understanding, the exhaust manifold and turbine housing are one casting. I have not seen one in person.

speed-UTV-turbo-manifold-650x365.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back