Speed UTV

Hopefully Speed can get the guy sorted out when they get to Glamis. 
Well they did it, at Speed before he left for Glamis, so not sure exactly why is being accomplished. This is the same guy that broke an axle, and had aftermarket wheels rubbing his brakes, and couldn't figure out how to get his axle out, etc.....maybe he's being put on a leash? Or maybe they are programming his ECU for the Speed key and gave him a temporary one? Who really knows.

Well they did it, at Speed before he left for Glamis, so not sure exactly why is being accomplished. This is the same guy that broke an axle, and had aftermarket wheels rubbing his brakes, and couldn't figure out how to get his axle out, etc.....maybe he's being put on a leash? Or maybe they are programming his ECU for the Speed key and gave him a temporary one? Who really knows.
Sounds like the owner is a hot mess.   Maybe Speed programmed all the keys for valet by accident. 

Sounds like the owner is a hot mess.   Maybe Speed programmed all the keys for valet by accident. 
I agree, he also showed a video today where he's using washter between the hub and wheel because whatever wheel he's using doesn't fit over the hubcentric.

If you are not supposed to shift on the fly, how does one set up for a hill climb like olds or china?  Just curious.  Would you start in 2nd? Is third gear going to allow the machine to make speed up one of these hills?

If you are not supposed to shift on the fly, how does one set up for a hill climb like olds or china?  Just curious.  Would you start in 2nd? Is third gear going to allow the machine to make speed up one of these hills?
The normal gear to be in is 2nd, it's like "High" in every other type of UTV. 3rd is really only for long highway type sections. and 1st is for rock crawling type of stuff.

The normal gear to be in is 2nd, it's like "High" in every other type of UTV. 3rd is really only for long highway type sections. and 1st is for rock crawling type of stuff.
Correct. You can wind out 1st to around 50. 2nd gets you well above that. I haven’t even tried 3rd yet. 
they are telling people not to shift while moving.  If your familiar with those types of synchros and know what your doing you can easily shift on the fly. 
the general public will break those thing jamming it into charged gears. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what people aren't really understanding is that it is not like a regular transmission that you start in 1st, shift to 2nd, 3rd etc. It is basically Low, High, Overdrive. One doesn't start their "other" SxS in low and shift to high (like you would a car). You start in the gear you want and go. Pretty simple. 

The only thing sequential about it is you ratchet through the gears (back, back, back or forward, forward, forward). Plus the dogs. 

I think the way RG worded it this whole time, people think it is like buggy sequential (Mendi, Albins, Fortin), which it is not. 

While it is true that it is a range selector fed by the CVT, RG clearly stated it could be shifted on the fly in his infomercials.

While it is true that it is a range selector fed by the CVT, RG clearly stated it could be shifted on the fly in his infomercials.
You can, if you understand how to do it. There is a learning curve to shifting dogs as opposed to sycros. 

If the non-experience driver gets in there and thinks they are going to start slamming gears, they are going to break it. Now if that same driver takes their time and learns the "feel" of a sequential, they should be able to shift it just fine. 

Unfortunately, half the knuckleheads will just start yanking and pushing. If it doesn't work, then yank harder and harder until it breaks, then blame RG. 

I agree, he also showed a video today where he's using washter between the hub and wheel because whatever wheel he's using doesn't fit over the hubcentric.
That is the same guy going up Olds?  He has videos from his first trip to the dunes a few weeks jumping the swing set double and the car seemed to be moving just fine.  

I saw the video of the washers to fit the Packard wheels.     I wonder if Nick had to do something  when he put the Method wheels on his Speed UTV.  

You can, if you understand how to do it. There is a learning curve to shifting dogs as opposed to sycros. 

If the non-experience driver gets in there and thinks they are going to start slamming gears, they are going to break it. Now if that same driver takes their time and learns the "feel" of a sequential, they should be able to shift it just fine. 

Unfortunately, half the knuckleheads will just start yanking and pushing. If it doesn't work, then yank harder and harder until it breaks, then blame RG. 
It was a neat ideal, but I think RG quickly realized he underestimated the abilities of the inexperienced public to break an anvil with a plastic hammer.  

That is the same guy going up Olds?  He has videos from his first trip to the dunes a few weeks jumping the swing set double and the car seemed to be moving just fine.  

I saw the video of the washers to fit the Packard wheels.     I wonder if Nick had to do something  when he put the Method wheels on his Speed UTV.  
I'm 99% its the same car in the video going slow.

I'm 99% its the same car in the video going slow.
He’s posting a lot of his car and his young children.  I wonder if he just had it in first to take them up the hill?  Only speculating because he’s been pretty straight forward with his post.  Changing the belt /adjusting the shocks/complaining about how the springs are to soft or sagged out already. 

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone thought that maybe he was just cruising up the hill? I know it is an interesting take and I hate to inject common sense. Carry on internet warriors and GD-CSI crew.  
That's actually what I thought watching it: dude was just cruising, and the exhaust is loud, so sounds like it's "trying"...

But.

I apologize for my "logic" post above. It has been confirmed the guy is having some issues with his car. Back to bashing, I have been put in my place. Homie should of bought a Pro R. 
Last time I give him the benefit of the doubt.  LOL

Back