Speed UTV

Friend of mine spent an hour to get up China Wall in his nephew’s Raptor 250. Eventually made it, took talent. 
We had an old guy in our group back in the Rhino days that has some big built motor in his.  We would goat trail up China Wall.  Scary watching him zigzag back an forth.  

Low HP machines simply take skill to navigate the dunes, no arguments there...

Thus the term "Sign and Drive" that makes seasoned folks cringe and rightfully so.

I saw a few speeds this weekend running the hill and through the dunes. Pretty much what I expected: suspension seems great and they seem heavy and slow in the sand. I think most expected this based on what we've seen thus far. For a primarily dune car, I think the power would be an issue. It's probably much better suited to open desert. 

I saw a few speeds this weekend running the hill and through the dunes. Pretty much what I expected: suspension seems great and they seem heavy and slow in the sand. I think most expected this based on what we've seen thus far. For a primarily dune car, I think the power would be an issue. It's probably much better suited to open desert. 
Agreed.

I saw ALLOT of video from one guy and a few from RG testing stuff out.

Wonder when more Speed Owners will post up their Dune vids.

Is it me, but does the Speed Key feel like a Mirage and might never happen?  If I was planning on using this car in the dunes and the Speed Key is nowhere in sight, I would be pissed.

A couple of knowns from the beginnings that are now truths:

• Great suspension
  • under powered
  • and every dollar you give Speed fuels Robbie's ego.

Is it me, but does the Speed Key feel like a Mirage and might never happen?  If I was planning on using this car in the dunes and the Speed Key is nowhere in sight, I would be pissed.

A couple of knowns from the beginnings that are now truths:

• Great suspension
  • under powered
  • and every dollar you give Speed fuels Robbie's ego.
Nuh uh! It has the world record for most HP/L for a production engine!

From the comments:

Jason Cramer

So this is me in the Video
1. I wasn’t scared and was doing what I intend to do.
2. I was in 2 gear and 4wd.
3. The car is heavy, which we already Knew.
4. Although the car was slow going up Old’s, once I figured out where I needed to be in the power band I was able to play in the dunes without worry.
5. I did make some air pressure adjustments during the weekend and with the tires I was running I found that a little higher air pressure worked better than a lower pressure. I started at 12 PSI and ended at 14.5.
6. Yes I did expect the car to perform better than it did but this car was designed as a desert car not a sand car, I think with some clutch adjustments it will perform better in the dunes.I didn’t play with the clutch while I was out there. As long as I kept the momentum going, I was able to stay with the Pro R’s in the group.
7. I bought this car knowing that it would have things that I would have to work through. I’m glad to see the Robby and team speed saw the videos, listen to what was going on, and immediately started working on fixing the issue.

You just can't make this chit up. Something tells me by the time this is all done with, RG is going to find out about EPA fines.

View attachment 85375
https://m.facebook.com/groups/521893603205504/permalink/694722919255904/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=mMAx51

Thanks, I was going to share same info.

It appears RG is actually paying REALLY CLOSE attention to his CARB approvals, to the point these cars, well certain early models are locked in a compliant state because of early model turbos and etc that were used at that time.

We may poke fun, but attention to detail is really happening in real time. Good on RG.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/521893603205504/permalink/694722919255904/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=mMAx51

Thanks, I was going to share same info.

It appears RG is actually paying REALLY CLOSE attention to his CARB approvals, to the point these cars, well certain early models are locked in a compliant state because of early model turbos and etc that were used at that time.

We may poke fun, but attention to detail is really happening in real time. Good on RG.
I have the opposite opinion.. that he's playing around with things that he shouldn't be. I'm reading it as the early cars were either the EPA approved ones or the newer cars are the EPA approved ones, but not all of the cars are EPA approved ones. Now we got bigger turbos coming into the mix. That's going to change the whole fuel map. There are clearly two kind of tunes running out there. You can't tell me that if you're having a problem with your GM truck that the dealer can just detune it and send you on your way and that's legal. That poster stated that RG gave him a new computer and woke the car up. Which tune was that? Did the guy have an illegal tune on his original computer? How does Robbie know that these tweaks he's doing is passing emissions test? Clearly he didn't have an EPA approved detune? Nobody knows.

I also read it as the speed key tune is not EPA legal.. why else would he be making people wait 6 months? Why wouldn't he want to let loose some of these people with the speed key to show everybody what's up? He's taking a beating right now on social media

By the way, that Facebook post was deleted.. lolol.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just can't make this chit up. Something tells me by the time this is all done with, RG is going to find out about EPA fines.

View attachment 85375
Uh.  So...

2 MAP sensors to make it run right at elevation?  Why?  Usually a MAF is run for this, but realistically, it's a turbo car, the pressure in the manifold is the only thing that matters.  Since the Speed key unlocks additional boost with no controls, we know there's some sort of electronic boost control, which will also tell you duty cycle and whether or not the turbo is struggling to make boost (the only reason you'd care about pre-turbo pressure readings).  Hell, MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure...  It's not in the manifold.  AP? :biggrin:

5* of timing to burn off top end lube for E85?  What?

Glamis momentum?  Only if your car is underpowered.  A stock 2017 Can Am on paddles can climb China Wall from the bottom from a stop.  Ask me how I know.

PoPo/Can Am/Honda/Kawi/Yammy have been running base maps everywhere with little issue.  Other than faulty equipment, no one is getting sent ECUs to compensate for early build issues, which brings me to...

I have the opposite opinion.. that he's playing around with things that he shouldn't be. I'm reading it as the early cars were either the EPA approved ones or the newer cars are the EPA approved ones, but not all of the cars are EPA approved ones. Now we got bigger turbos coming into the mix. That's going to change the whole fuel map. There are clearly two kind of tunes running out there. You can't tell me that if you're having a problem with your GM truck that the dealer can just detune it and send you on your way and that's legal. That poster stated that RG gave him a new computer and woke the car up. Which tune was that? Did the guy have an illegal tune on his original computer? How does Robbie know that these tweaks he's doing is passing emissions test? Clearly he didn't have an EPA approved detune? Nobody knows.

I also read it as the speed key tune is not EPA legal.. why else would he be making people wait 6 months? Why wouldn't he want to let loose some of these people with the speed key to show everybody what's up? He's taking a beating right now on social media
This.  Car is/was advertised at 225hp.  If it's not making that, it's a lie.  If there are turbo or ECU or whatever changes, they have to go through certification.  If he had an EPA tune, and now he doesn't, also bad.  There's a reason why the aftermarket can almost always make more horsepower than the OEM: OEMs have a lot more to worry about than just output.

Back